User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I bought a mounting kit on Amazon at the same time as I bought the fan. The kit had a large handful of selfdrilling screws and a roll of butal (sp?) putty tape that the fan is bedded in. Run a couple of rows of this putty tape around the hole and drop the fan in.
    Well darn--I guess I assumed whatever was needed to mount it would come with the fan.

I just skimmed the installation instructions (https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default....pdf?sfvrsn=11) and it comes with screws--looks like I'll just need the BUTYL tape. I'll wait for the fan to arrive and then go from there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Don't fall off the roof.
    Amen to that!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called my dealership (Campers Inn in Macon, GA) and they said to use the Dicor Self-Leveling sealant and to use the butyl tape is specified in the MaxxAir instructions. I think I'm ready. Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    ...Any other tips/lessons learned to share before I tackle this mod?
    I set the fan in the roof opening and then checked it inside to see it was centered in the opening so the interior trim ring fits evenly before I drilled & screwed down the fan on the roof.

Rubbing back the old sealant is hard on the fingers.
    Invested in a gallon of PPG SX330 Wax & Grease Rmover from the auto paint store, it cleans butyl tape residue off easily from the TPO.
    The good butyl tape is really, really sticky.

Switched to using eternabond tape where possible as I didn't like how both Super Flex & Dicor self leveling sealants' solvents (Toluene, Heptane in Superflex & Naphtha, Light Aliphatic in Dicor) pucker/blister my TPO and lift it from the roof. It does settle back down after days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1623.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	14592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1634.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	14589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1638.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	14590

Dicor link about cosmetic distortion of some TPO: https://dicorproducts.com/62/

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I set the fan in the roof opening and then checked it inside to see it was centered in the opening so the interior trim ring fits evenly before I drilled & screwed down the fan on the roof.

Rubbing back the old sealant is hard on the fingers.
    Invested in a gallon of SX330 from the paint store, it cleans butyl tape residue off easily from the TPO.
    The good butyl tape is really, really sticky.

Switched to using eternabond tape where possible as I didn't like how both Super Flex & Dicor self leveling sealants' solvents (Toluene, Heptane in Superflex & Naphtha, Light Aliphatic in Dicor) pucker/blister my TPO and lift it from the roof. It does settle back down after days.

Name:	DSCF1623.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	14592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1634.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	14589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1638.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	14590

Gene
    Thanks, Gene! I'll check out the SX330.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heptane vs Naphtha

I looked up the MSDS on the Dicor and Alpha sealants. Dicor's 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant's primary ingredient is heptane. Alpha 1010's primary ingredient is naphtha. I tried to figure out the difference to put it in layman's terms, but all I found was way beyond my level of comprehension.

1021, Alpha's self-leveling sealant, is also made of heptane .

According to the Reflection manual the roof is made by Alpha Systems. The manual is very specific: Clean all areas to be resealed with a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, using a medium-bristled scrub brush. This area must be dry before continuing. Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing sealants and may weaken plastic roof components. Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant over top of any existing sealant needing resealed. Please note ONLY ALPHA SUPPLIED SEALANTS SHOULD COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SUPERFLEX ROOF MEMBRANE.

I sent a message to Alpha to see if I can use the 1021 self-leveling sealant or if I must use the 1010. While I appreciate everyone's input and acknowledge my dealer's experience, I want to hear it directly from the manufacturer--I don't want to mess up my roof. I'll report back what Alpha says to my inquiry.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sx330 msds

Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Invested in a gallon of PPG SX330 Wax & Grease Remover from the auto paint store, it cleans butyl tape residue off easily from the TPO. Gene
    I found it very interesting that SX330 is made from heptane and naphtha--the same materials in the Dicor and Alpha sealants.

Name:	SX330.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	14641

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alpha sealants are not that hard to find. Got them at Camping World. I used them on my roof to touch things up and it works fine. The new sealant was a lighter tan than the old but I believe that's due to oxidation of the surface. I used the self leveling on horizontal surfaces and non sag on verticals.

I used these products because of the statement in the manual. The roof material has a 12 year warranty, why give 'em a reason to void it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the sealants are damaging the TPO, but does pucker it up for awhile.
    The piece of TPO I tested (after seeing the TPO on the roof react to Super Flex self leveling that I got from CW), is excess TPO from below the roof tucked down around the fan trim.
    It hasn't been cleaned or exposed to weather.
    Right after putting Alpha 1021 self leveling applied can see the backside puckered where the sealant is.

Name:	DSCF1644.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	14645
    Now a couple months later, same backside of the TPO piece.

Name:	DSCF2237.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	14646

I'd mentioned Dicor b/c I tested the other end of the test TPO strip, saw the same puckering.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Answer is In!

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I looked up the MSDS on the Dicor and Alpha sealants. Dicor's 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant's primary ingredient is heptane. Alpha 1010's primary ingredient is naphtha. I tried to figure out the difference to put it in layman's terms, but all I found was way beyond my level of comprehension.

1021, Alpha's self-leveling sealant, is also made of heptane .

According to the Reflection manual the roof is made by Alpha Systems. The manual is very specific: Clean all areas to be resealed with a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, using a medium-bristled scrub brush. This area must be dry before continuing. Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing sealants and may weaken plastic roof components. Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant over top of any existing sealant needing resealed. Please note ONLY ALPHA SUPPLIED SEALANTS SHOULD COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SUPERFLEX ROOF MEMBRANE.

I sent a message to Alpha to see if I can use the 1021 self-leveling sealant or if I must use the 1010. While I appreciate everyone's input and acknowledge my dealer's experience, I want to hear it directly from the manufacturer--I don't want to mess up my roof. I'll report back what Alpha says to my inquiry.
    Yvonne Christian from Alpha Systems replied to my inquiry and said either the 1010 (non-sag) or 1021 (self-leveling version) is acceptable to use on my roof. Therefore I don't think it's a stretch to come to the conclusion that the Dicor is also OK, too, since it is made from the same base chemical, at least according to the MSDS.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GD Repair Center said I could use Dicor on the TPO roof.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast