User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyecampers View Post
    ...That would be even more reason they should install one on all 308 Reflections models for the bathrooms. It could have been wired directly to the bathroom wall switch to come on when light is deployed or ran a dedicated switch next to the light switch when manufactured...
    The quote above is from a 2016 post in the Manufacturer's Feature Request subforum. It was a response to a suggestion that swapping out the bathroom fan for a Maxxfan was possible.

I want to do swap out the bathroom fan, too, on my 315RLTS. My wife can't reach to open the exhaust cover, so I need to replace it with possibly a remote-controlled unit. Did you (Buckeyecampers or anyone else) replace the fan? Which model? Any lessons learned along the way?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Maxx Fan with a remote control.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan.php
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another option is an extension handle to open the fan. We've used one for years. You simply unscrew the existing handle, and screw in the replacement. Then you can use the provided stick to open and close the fan. It works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought extensions from Ace Hardware so my wife could reach it, it took 3" of extension.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Another option is an extension handle to open the fan. We've used one for years. You simply unscrew the existing handle, and screw in the replacement. Then you can use the provided stick to open and close the fan. It works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
    Pricey little gizmo isn’t it?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW said "Replace the Fan!"

So the DW said "no" to the extension handle (but thanks for the suggestion, TucsonJim), she wants a fan with a remote control. I ordered a Maxxair 4500K after researching the options.

I watched a YouTube video on a fan removal and replacement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnci952QfA) and the guy used a sealant called "dicor" and "putty tape". The actual process looks fairly straight-forward.

What, exactly, are the GD authorized products I should use on my roof to seal up the new fan and not mess with my warranty? Edit: the manual calls for "Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant". Is that different from "dicor"? In upper case the manual has, "ONLY ALPHA SUPPLIED SEALANTS SHOULD COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SUPERFLEX ROOF MEMBRANE".

Any other tips/lessons learned to share before I tackle this mod?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I did in m 297RSTS. I bought a new MaxxFan 4500K Vent Fan with wireless remote control from CW and replaced the fan mechanism in fan above the island. The enclosures are the same so it was a simple swap. After removing the bathroom fan, I installed the fan enclosure that came with the new MaxxFan in the bathroom, and then installed the fan mechanism that I removed from the fan in the lounge. Routing the wired remote cable down the wall in the bathroom is not trivial, but can be done once someone else confirms that it is possible. For the price of one new MaxxFan, I now had 2 fan upgrades, both with remotes.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    For the price of one new MaxxFan, I now had 2 fan upgrades, both with remotes.
    The DW hasn't complained about the fan above the island, so I think I'll leave it alone. But thanks for the suggestion.

When you installed the new enclosure in the bathroom did you use anything other than the Alpha sealant? In other words, should I put down a line of sealant and then seat the enclosure, followed by screwing it to the roof, followed by the final sealant on top and on the sides of the enclosure?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So the DW said "no" to the extension handle (but thanks for the suggestion, TucsonJim), she wants a fan with a remote control. I ordered a Maxxair 4500K after researching the options.

I watched a YouTube video on a fan removal and replacement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnci952QfA) and the guy used a sealant called "dicor" and "putty tape". The actual process looks fairly straight-forward.

What, exactly, are the GD authorized products I should use on my roof to seal up the new fan and not mess with my warranty? Edit: the manual calls for "Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant". Is that different from "dicor"? In upper case the manual has, "ONLY ALPHA SUPPLIED SEALANTS SHOULD COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SUPERFLEX ROOF MEMBRANE".

Any other tips/lessons learned to share before I tackle this mod?
    I installed a Maxx fan on my prior fiver and its not difficult at all. The hardest part is scraping off the existing sealant - get some plastic scrapers and have at it. The stuff is softest during the hotest part of the afternoon, of course.

Other than that is is pretty straightforward. IIRC, I bought a mounting kit on Amazon at the same time as I bought the fan. The kit had a large handful of selfdrilling screws and a roll of butal (sp?) putty tape that the fan is bedded in. Run a couple of rows of this putty tape around the hole and drop the fan in.

I believe both the Dicor and the Alpha sealant are labeled for use on our roofs (TPO?). The color of the Alpha doesn't match, though. The Dicor biege (I think) is a perfect match. Whichever you decide to go with, you'll want a couple of spare tubes for emergencies because the stuff doesn't last long after it is opened and it is cheaper to buy a couple. One tube should do the fan plus be enough to cover the inevitable little spots that need to be touched up.

BTW, there are non-sag and self-leveling sealants and you'll want the self-leveling for the fan.

Don't fall off the roof.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    The DW hasn't complained about the fan above the island, so I think I'll leave it alone. But thanks for the suggestion.

When you installed the new enclosure in the bathroom did you use anything other than the Alpha sealant? In other words, should I put down a line of sealant and then seat the enclosure, followed by screwing it to the roof, followed by the final sealant on top and on the sides of the enclosure?
    I used the sealant that CW sells now. Not sure the brand. Seemed to work the same as Dicor. As mentioned, the biggest issue is removing the old sealant. I used by thumb to roll it off, and ended up with a nice blister.

Given the work I did to run the wired remote wires in the bathroom walls, installing a model with the wireless remote makes sense. One nice thing about the model with the wireless remote is that you can reverse the fan direction so that one can blow and the other suck for better ventilation, especially with the windows closed. I will leave both fans on when in storage when it's hot, and they will automatically close with the slightest amount of rain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast