User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I have one more question for those that have installed a replacement fan with a remote control (you knew it was coming, right?).

The rocker switch on the bathroom wall cuts off the 12V to the MaxxFan and could potentially leave the lid open when I want it closed. Having the rocker switch "off" will also defeat the temperature-based feature (automatically turns on at temp x) of the fan. I'm thinking of connecting the fan wires behind the switch so it is non-functional. In other words, the fan will always have 12V regardless of the wall switch position.

Any down side to doing this?
    I think direct wire to fused 12V would be normal for this type fan.
    I bypassed the switch for the kitchen 4500K fan I installed. Then reused original fan's hallway switch for living room ceiling lights.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it very interesting that SX330 is made from heptane and naphtha--the same materials in the Dicor and Alpha sealants.

Attachment 14641
    Is this to say it would be OK to use a naptha-based or heptane-base solvent to clean the butyl tape residue?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Is this to say it would be OK to use a naptha-based or heptane-base solvent to clean the butyl tape residue?
    I'm not qualified to answer that question.

In post #13 Gene (gbkims) recommended SX330. While I'm sure it works that stuff is expensive!

When I swapped my fan I decided not to use any solvents to clean the butyl. I was fortunate there was not too much work to do to slowly work the small amount left on the roof. I just used my fingers to slowly roll the butyl and when able gently pulled it off the roof.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will try to do the same. I will use a solvent as a backup only. The primary chemical in SX330 is Naptha. It can be purchased at my local Lowe's for about $8.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I swapped my fan I decided not to use any solvents to clean the butyl. I was fortunate there was not too much work to do to slowly work the small amount left on the roof. I just used my fingers to slowly roll the butyl and when able gently pulled it off the roof.
    I just got done with installing my new fan. I did not need any solvents. The white lap sealant rolled easily off. I used my thumbs to rolled it off the roof toward and over the screws. Other than two rather large blisters on my thumbs it was easy. The butyl tape was not as easy, but like you I was lucky in that most of it stuck to the old vent frame.

Thanks for the tips. Glad I did not need any nasty chemicals.

One this I found odd. The roofing material under the old lap sealant was puckered as if it reacted to the lap sealant. Is that normal?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One this I found odd. The roofing material under the old lap sealant was puckered as if it reacted to the lap sealant. Is that normal?
    I can't speak for every trailer, but I did not find any evidence like you describe on mine. As long as the "pucker" doesn't allow water penetration it is probably fine.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1623.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	22685

Similar to those here posted previously on this thread. Only thing is these puckers were already there when I got on the roof. It was the factory install of the vent. I believe the trailer was manufactured in May 2019, so these puckers were at least 3 months old. I looked at the roof overall. It is difficult to be sure, but the rest of the roof seems to have inconsistency of the adhesive holding the roofing membrane down. I expected to see the TPO lay down smoothly all over. However, it looks like I can see tiny spots all over that are not glued down. Very difficult to describe. I will get some photos next time I am up there.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	DSCF1623.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	22685

Similar to those here posted previously on this thread. Only thing is these puckers were already there when I got on the roof. It was the factory install of the vent. I believe the trailer was manufactured in May 2019, so these puckers were at least 3 months old. I looked at the roof overall. It is difficult to be sure, but the rest of the roof seems to have inconsistency of the adhesive holding the roofing membrane down. I expected to see the TPO lay down smoothly all over. However, it looks like I can see tiny spots all over that are not glued down. Very difficult to describe. I will get some photos next time I am up there.
    I suggest starting a new thread with an appropriate title to attract responses specific to your roof concern.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the bathroom fan also with a MaxAir 7500 with remote - much better air removal than the stock fan. Why GD puts that type of fan in the bathroom is a mystery to me. Customer touch features like this should have a better perceived value and function. Even if GD used the cheapest base model MaxAir fan, at least the flange part would be the same so upgrades would be super easy. Removal of the old Dicor was the worst and longest part of the replacement. The Dicor will make the TPO wrinkle but will smooth out over time as it cures.

Name:	20191015_124507.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	24544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_141854.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	24545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_145644.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	24546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_145655.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	24547
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234