User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Cate & Rob,
    Diana and I were planning on doing a 48' DeFever for 3-4 years. Unfortunately knee, back, neck, shoulder surgery for one or both of us knocked us out of that (I can't just pull over for the night if we hit 4-6' seas), so here we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    We also transitioned from boats to RV. It was a big decision for us, we thought seriously about a trawler and doing the Caribbean Cruise. But when we started looking at the diversity of activities we could do and the number of ports we cold visit we opted for a land yacht instead.
    Jim & Dallas: It is interesting how many RVer's I meet who had that "trawler to the Bahamas" plan and ended up with the "land yacht" instead. A 48 ft DeFever is an amazing seaworthy world cruiser! We came really close to that decision but didn't do it for just the reasons you both describe. We got to fly in and fly out, to stay with boating friends for a couple of winter weeks, who took their boat from Canada the Bahamas every year and that is an amazing place.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    I couldn't find parts to restore our original engine so took a much easier tack. Nice to see you don't mind hanging out with the "Rag Baggers".
    Hi Jim - I can relate to that kind of project . Attached picture is getting ready to do the same thing with my Dad, for his sailboat.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TYC 8.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B-E-Utiful Cate & Rob!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    You and Cate should be very proud of your project! As a bit of a woodworker myself I can really appreciate the hours of labor it takes for a project of this magnitude. My hats off to you both. Very beautiful!

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Spending a couple days on the St. Lawrence with you and Cate were certainly some of the most memorable times we've had in all our travels Rob. Your write up, while fantastic, doesn't even scratch the beauty and detail of your work! Deb and I talk about you guys and your boat and our awesome time to everyone.

A sharp eye will recognize not just our fabulous host and hostess but also our traveling companions, Jim (as in Tucson Jim) and his DW, Gennie! All 4 our great friends.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I have referenced in a few different threads that our "other RV" is a boat. With a question in a recent discussion that wandered off topic about old engines and this new forum section about hobbies . . . I thought I would tell the story of my hobby, which is our first "RV”. This story goes back 25 years and is the restoration of a (now) 46 year old boat that was the floating RV for Cate & I and where we and our four boys spent every summer. Once the boys had grown and gone their own ways and Cate & I retired, the transition to a land based RV was easy. We are very used to living in this size space and I have lots of experience with the plumbing, electrical and mechanical things that are surprisingly common between boats and RVs. We still have the boat for summers in Canada and our Reflection is for winters in Florida.

Rob
    Amazing quality. I've never seen this boat in the US ( I boat around the Lake Erie islands) but it makes perfect sense, especially with the aluminum hull. Really impressive work by both you and Cate.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - thanks, for sharing the pictures and story. Over the years you have shared some bits and pieces on the forum but I always wondered about the boat's history and especially what you and Cate have done to it........now we know ! Truly spectacular work as we have grown to see and appreciate from the Rob and Cate team........just remarkable !

How nice for Jim, Ginnie, Paul, and Deb to spend some time after the rally last year as I recall. Always great to to share pictures with friends and family/pets and the beautiful areas you boat in. Someday Carol and I will have to make it to your wonderful area.

While Carol ad I have not re-built any boats, you probably recall our love for boating together goes back to the early 80's when we bought our first boat a 1983 a custom ordered BAJA. My boating history goes back further to the early 70s in 7th grade when I learned to water ski behind a 12' aluminum fishing boat with a 9.8 Merc. at Lake Okoboji Iowa. I will have to share more history of our 4+ decade boating history and pictures of our boats sometime in another thread.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That boat is awesome! And this life long boater is green with envy
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 SB SRW Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, Amazing boat and great documentation. Enjoyed it all and the pics of friends and fellow members was great. Thanks for taking the time.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cate&Rob, I appreciate the effort and workmanship you put in to restoring that beautiful boat. I also recognize a lot of the places you boated in the 1,000 Islands. I think I saw Waterson S.P and several other areas on the Canadian Channel. Brought back a lot of good memories boating the same general area from 1992 to 2000 out of Bonnie Castle in A-bay.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast