Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slider hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slider hitch

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the factory 5th wheel prep and I was told that I wouldn't need a slider hitch. Does anyone have this truck setup that could confirm that this is true? My campers is the 303 RLS. Thanks,

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the design of the fiberglass cap on the Grand Designs, it's not absolutely needed to have a slider hitch on a short bed truck.

Just use the new design mounting and enjoy the simplicity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. GD is saying that they recommend a slider as I will only be able to turn at a 75 degree angle. I can't relate to that as I have never towed a 5th wheel, only bumper pulls.

nguyenbio
    I have a 2014 f250 with a 6'9" standard bed. My dealer offered me a slider for only 100.00 more so I took it of course. I live on the end of a cul de sac which is very narrow. I have yet to use the slider. Now the 100.00 is cheap insurance if I end of needing it. Can I see myself needing it at all later,........yes. It always happens when you are least expecting it. Btw... I have a Husky 16k w w/ glider.

Regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned a Reese slider for 9 years now. Our last fiver was a Laredo which did not have a new design front cap. In 9 years I have only used the slider a couple of times to get into smaller sites. With that said, I have seen the damage that hitting the corner of the camper on the truck can cause when not being careful and watching the corner as you are backing up. I have seen two people damage their trucks and campers and the funny thing is both of them had sliders and did not use them. I will likely always own short bed trucks and I will always have a slider just as insurance. My next hitch will be an automatic slider. Just my 2 cents, do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were told that because ford has a longer bed than the rest we should be okay without a slider. By the numbers it will be close but it should not hit. So we got the air safe hitch so as to absorb most of the chucking you get from a 5th wheel. Will keep an eye on it and will let everyone know how it goes.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to call Grand Design's customer service department and see what they say. I'm running a SuperDuty, and your Dodge may be a little different. It's not worth the cost if you have a chance of denting your cab and trailer nosecone.

I prefer the Curt brand of fiver hitches--available at great prices thru Amazon.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting a new truck with a short bed and have done allot of research on the slider hitch. I will be going with the PullRite Super Glide hitch. It is an automatic hitch that you do not have to get out of the truck to set every time you need it. They are more expensive but I believe it is worth the money. Here is a link to PullRite and a dealer that has a good price on the hitches. Hope this helps.

http://www.pullrite.com/products/sup...superglide-20k

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...lide-hitch.php

This is the 20K hitch, they have others also but I just rather be safe than sorry. Good Luck!
    Kamper
    Johnny & Mary
    Henderson, NC 4 Now
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab High Country
    24K Pullrite ISR 5th Wheel Hitch with Super Rails

:cool:

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SuperGlides are luxury hitches--top of the line. They're fine units.

What kind'a truck you getting? If you're going Ford or Dodge, I know a good salesman at a great dealership in Atlanta area. We lived in Lawrenceville 11 years, and still do our camping at Unicoi Springs outside of Helen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will wait till I actually get the trailer and do the math to see where it puts me. If I have to go a different route I will probably go with the Reese Revolution pin box, it's cheaper than a slider. Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast