User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How will our cats do?

Hi we are new to RVing, having just bought a Solitude 310. We have two Ragdolls cats. The big male is used to having a short walk on a leash at the house twice per day. The female, who was a rescue, is terrified of everything. The male has done great on long car trips for years. The female not as much. Any ideas/tips/links specifically on cats adjusting? Thanks in advance. We plan to do some short 2-3 day trips to start to see how they do before next summer when we will go for months.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure this will be of much help but I have a younger Male Ragdoll (I sometimes wonder if he's part Siamese because he's not as docile as most Ragdolls) and he likes being outside but we find a calming treat before the ride helps. He will cry for the first 15 minutes or so and pant like a dog until he relaxes. After that he's good. I almost think he likes it better at the camper than at home. He enjoys watching people out the window. Bring a soft blanket or one of those pet cushions and place it by a window. Just be careful to ensure to camper door closes when going in and out. We left the main door open but the screen door shut and since the countertop is right by the door, the little bigger reached over and pressed the latch and opened the door! Cats can't open doors Focker. Sorry, made me think of Mr. Jinx on the movie "Meet the Parents" even though the reference was about flushing toilets. Anyway, just make sure doors are secure and watch so they don't sneak out. Our cat likes to lay under the overhang at the end of our bed. It's a good little spot for him. Good luck with your travels. Short trips are good. I'd even suggest short drives in the truck to get her used to riding.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch out for the open space the the TV opening creates as well as "roof" on the top part of the shore storage in under the stairs to the bedroom.. Both of these represent opportunities for Cats (or rodents / small dogs?) to crawn in there. It can only guess how had it would be to get a frightened cat out of either of these areas.
    I cut a 2x4x1/4 inch piece of plywood to fit under the TC and used screed to enclose the opening in the shoe storage area.
    Hope this helps

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with two dogs and one (rescued) cat. All have become great travellers.

At first we travelled with the cat loose in the truck. (The dogs are on the floor in rear seat area of the truck as our rear seats fold up against the back wall) The cat could never find a safe/comfortable place. So, we got her a small crate. This sits on the floor in the back and is now her "safe place". She goes right into the crate on her own, as soon as we put her in the truck.

We walk the three of them on leashes, regularly. The cat is particularly attached to her black dog as you can see in our avatar picture.

Re your litterbox question . . . we put ours in the shower. We use wheat based litter which will not scratch the shower pan and will dissolve in water if a little gets spilled outside the box and ends up going down the drain.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0270.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS