User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315RLTS: CAT Scale Numbers (First Weigh)

Loaded up for our first "real" trip from home, we stopped at a CAT scale and weighed the camper and truck. (Did a separate weigh with just the truck.) The attached pic shows the results as plugged into the spreadsheet available in the REFERENCE LIBRARY. The truck weight is unique because there was a large refrigerator in the bed--we were taking it to my daughter.

The calculated tongue weight (1,300) is very close to what the Sherline showed me (1,200).

Note to TucsonJim: the spreadsheet says I am 40 lbs over on my hitch weight because that alert is specific to a CLASS IV hitch. Can you make it flexible so the user can identify if they have a Class III, IV, or V? Better yet, an entry to put in the hitch rating (in my case 2,100 lbs) thus the alert will flex according to the user's input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weights.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	14468
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

Note to TucsonJim: the spreadsheet says I am 40 lbs over on my hitch weight because that alert is specific to a CLASS IV hitch. Can you make it flexible so the user can identify if they have a Class III, IV, or V? Better yet, an entry to put in the hitch rating (in my case 2,100 lbs) thus the alert will flex according to the user's input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weights.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	14468
    I'm the "Jim" that built that. Good idea. Let me take a look at it and see how I can modify that. Should be pretty easy.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I'm the "Jim" that built that. Good idea. Let me take a look at it and see how I can modify that. Should be pretty easy.
    Thanks for that "Jim". I didn't have a clue where to start.

Howard - Your chart shows your trailer GAWR as 10K#. Doesn't a 315 have 5,200# axles?

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Thanks for that "Jim". I didn't have a clue where to start.

Howard - Your chart shows your trailer GAWR as 10K#. Doesn't a 315 have 5,200# axles?

Jim
    You're right--they are 5,200# axles. Thanks!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband teases me that I may have packed our 2016 313rlts to be overweight. On the other side, he just purchased a new mattress for it so he could sleep as well as at home. The new mattress is almost half again as thick as the original one and when I need to get into the under bed storage, the bed platform needs to be held up--no longer holds by itself. What is the protocol for weighing the trailer and truck to get accurate weight for trailer-- axles and tires safety and for the truck --tires, suspension and hitch safety? We have a few truck stops near us that only charge $12 to weigh but should we weigh them attached and together or separate or how?? Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Evening,

Here is how you should weigh your rig...

Weigh truck empty
    Configure both for a trip
    If you have a fiver weigh the truck on its own. If you use a CAT SCALE, make sure each axle is on its own scale(they are marked)
    Then weigh the truck and trailer together, again making sure each axle is on its own scale, one for truck front axle, one for truck rear axle and one for your trailer axles.

1st weigh will be 12 bucks
    2nd weigh will be 3 bucks
    3rd weigh will be 3 bucks

Weighing with a travel trailer is a bit different.

Weigh the truck by itself empty
    Weigh the truck loaded for a trip
    Weigh the truck and trailer without weight distribution
    Weigh truck and trailer with weight distribution

Once you have the weights

For the fiver
    Subtract the total weight of both from the weight of the truck, that is your pin weight.

For the trailer
    Add up the two axle weights with the weight distribution in place and subtract that from the empty truck weight and that is your tongue weight.

Subtract your truck weight from the total weight and that is your trailer weight.

Good Luck
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS