User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Opp View Post
    This is an interesting discussion. I just bought a week ago a 2018 Solitude 310GK from a private party. My first 5th wheel but have owned a tow trailer before. I'm trying to learn what I don't know fast. I've been concerned about getting someplace and the hydraulics not working. I have nightmares of getting someplace and can't get the slides in or out or jacks up or down. It sounds like from this discussion that I should make sure I have the 80amp breaker on the hydraulic system. Someone in this thread mentioned going inside and hitting a reset button to buy them another chance or more time to make it work. Where would that reset be located? At this moment I know very little about the coach combined with the fact that I'm not a master mechanic. I'm not even sure where to look for said breaker. There's a bunch of wires and connections in the front storage on the wall just above the batteries. I'm wondering if I provide GD with VIN if they can tell me what breaker was put in at factory. I've already availed myself to this forum and found it helpful. There are lots of people who've been there and done that already and are willing to share their experience. Thanks
    Look at post #20 . All those wires are covered by a black cover. The big red wires coming from the hydraulic relay and pump connect to the 50 amp breaker. There is also a link referring to another thread that has more info on the swap of the breaker.
    When I replaced the 50 amp breaker with the 80, I just left the 50 amp breaker and bypassed it to connect to the 80.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway Flash! BAB USA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day all. New to this blog and have a 2018 388M Momentum which we love. I bought an 80 am Bussman fuse on Amazon and wonder what I am replacing? This is the fuse-type piece i am looking at beside the hydraulics at the front. The Bussman only had the two posts, while this has four. advice, anyone? Thanks in advance,
    Flash!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	29331Click image for larger version. 

ID:	29331

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bussman fuse fix - help!

Good day all. New to this blog and have a 2018 388M Momentum which we love. I bought an 80 am Bussman fuse on Amazon and wonder what I am replacing? This is the fuse-type piece i am looking at beside the hydraulics at the front. The Bussman only had the two posts, while this has four. advice, anyone? Thanks in advance,
    Flash!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash! BAB USA View Post
    Flash!

You want an auto reset breaker not a fuse. The breaker will have only two connection points. Follow the large red wire from the hyd pump, it will most likely connect to a bus bar with a bunch of other wires. Disconnect the red wire from the bar and connect it to the breaker. Then run another wire from where the battery lead is attached to the bus bar bypassing the bus bar and connect it to the other connection on the breaker.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash!

THIS THREAD has more and better info. Clear back in 2017 poeple discovered the problem. It took GD clear to late 2018 to get it correct.

Post 19 has great pictures of what I did on our 2016 380TH. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash!

The four post device in your picture is the reversing solenoid which controls the in/out and up/down direction. You want to check (and replace if not >50A) the circuit breaker. As @orbiker said, follow the red wire.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of the help on this. Once I got my head wrapped around it it was indeed 30 minutes and literally rerouting 2 lines. then I threw the Bussman and tried to no avail, then connected the breaker and worked like a charm, just like you all said.
    Thank you thank you!
    Flash!
    Bikers Against Bullies USAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chuck!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Larsslc here again on this thread. As posted early on, I replaced the 50 amp circuit breaker running the hydraulic pump with an 80 amp breaker. Have had no problems until recently. I am getting towards the end of a 6000 mile, 60 day RV trip and my hydraulic system started to cut out (circuit breaker tripping just like it previously did with the 50 amp breaker). When I took that 50 amp breaker apart I found the contacts were completely burned. I am afraid that is what has happened to the 80 amp breaker. I read in another thread that the max amp draw on a Solitude hydraulic pump was 96 amps. That will trip the 80 amp breaker every time. On this trip we have made 38 stops so we have utilized the leveling system and slide retraction 76 times. I recall the 80 amp breaker cutting out at least 6 times so I am concerned the contacts are burned just like they did on the 50 amp breaker. Has anyone else had this problem with the 80 amp breaker?
    Jim and Sandi
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017Ram2500 Laramie HD 6.4 Hemi Andersen Hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to remember that the lower the voltage the higher the amperage required to run the pump. If the pump is continually being used with weak battery(s) it will continue to draw high amperage and trip breakers which in turn will wear out and/or burn the breaker contacts. Even if on shore power, the draw on the battery(s) is significant.

Mine has never tripped since changing to the 80 but my batteries are always sufficiently charged.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast