User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does water pump normally take a long time to build pressure?

We Have a Momentum 349M. We are newbies and so far only camped with full hookups

We brought our rig to our house today to sanitize the freshwater tank/system. I added the sanitizing solution via the Nautilus system and then filled the freshwater tank. I switched over to Dry Camping settings on the Nautilus panel and turned on the water pump. It came on, but I only got a trickle of water at the sinks. I thought it needed time to build pressure perhaps. I let it run about 5 minutes and the stream never built to more than a trickle.

I decided to try to prime the lines, so I switched to City Water settings and attached our water directly as if I was at a full hookup site. I ran water at the kitchen and bathroom sinks for a minute or so.

Then I changed back to Dry Camp settings and turned the water pump back on, and I had much better pressure at the sinks.

Is this normal? Does it take more than 5 minutes of the water pump running to build pressure if the lines aren't primed? Will the pressure ever build up enough to use without priming the lines first via City Water mode?

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob and Jen
    Charlie and Danny
    2018 Momentum 349M
    2018 Ford F350 Diesel Long Bed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does water pump normally take a long time to build pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by robinson468 View Post
    We Have a Momentum 349M. We are newbies and so far only camped with full hookups

We brought our rig to our house today to sanitize the freshwater tank/system. I added the sanitizing solution via the Nautilus system and then filled the freshwater tank. I switched over to Dry Camping settings on the Nautilus panel and turned on the water pump. It came on, but I only got a trickle of water at the sinks. I thought it needed time to build pressure perhaps. I let it run about 5 minutes and the stream never built to more than a trickle.

I decided to try to prime the lines, so I switched to City Water settings and attached our water directly as if I was at a full hookup site. I ran water at the kitchen and bathroom sinks for a minute or so.

Then I changed back to Dry Camp settings and turned the water pump back on, and I had much better pressure at the sinks.

Is this normal? Does it take more than 5 minutes of the water pump running to build pressure if the lines aren't primed? Will the pressure ever build up enough to use without priming the lines first via City Water mode?

Thanks
    Rob
    Yes, it can take a while. My 2015 rig has the Kantkeak valve rather than the Nautilus you probably have. I’ve always made it a habit to depressurize the system before changing modes to keep the valve from failing. Anyway, when changing from City Water to Normal, it can often take a minute or two for pressure to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our water pump works immediately , very little delay 2016 Reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had not purged the air from the water heater it will take quite a long time to build pressure.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nautilus system on our 303. Water pressure immediately when using the water pump however, we often have a one time, air/water mix when running the first faucet for about 15 seconds at the beginning of our trip. We drain the fresh water tank after every trip as well as hot water heater as we are usually 3 weeks between outings. I was pleasantly surprised at the water pressure with the pump.

If the pump is running when you open a faucet but no/minimal water flow, my suggestion would be to check the screens in each faucet as well at the (I'll call it the strainer) in the WP itself. You may have some small debris which is causing a blockage. I would also check for any kinked lines.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nautilus.....takes about 10 seconds to pump up to 40-45 psi which is when the pump shuts off. However, I know of two cases where the owner discovered that the Nautilus was plumbed wrong, from the factory.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we are going dry camping and will fill the fresh water I usually run water all thru the unit with the city water connection, this fills all the lines and water heater by opening all the spigots and shower and flushing toilet. Then I fill fresh water tank. This way when you get to site everything "should" be already full so the pump does not have to run much. Plus you have the extra water already in lines.

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^x2. I do the exact same thing. I’m sure that the original poster has air in the lines and the hot water heater is empty. Pumping water through all the lines and the water heater will take time, especially if you don’t open one of the spigots hot water line to allow the air in the water heater to escape.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get all the lines and the water heater full, the length of time between pump on and pump off is an indication of how much your soft hose lines are expanding. As originally built, ours was about 5 seconds. After replacing all the soft hose with Pex tubing, that time interval went down to less than 2 seconds. After installing the accumulator tank, that time interval went to about 20 seconds as the pump fills the tank . . . but we get that 20 seconds of water pressure before the pump needs to comes on again. The longer run time and the longer off time are a better duty cycle for pump durability.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One other place to check is the screen directly in front of the water pump. Mine was cracked and allowed air to be sucked in by the pump. However it did not actually leak when not in use. I also learned to fill the water heater before using the pump, otherwise it took forever for the pump to stop.
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast