Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover RV when not in use

Hello Grand Design owmers,

Today i pulled the trigger and bought a 2021 Grand Reflection 295RL, we pick it next Sat, of course I will have plenty of questions. One of the first ones, How do you store your RV when not is use? Was thinking about building an overhang, or should I buy cover for our new 5th wheel. If I buy a cover, what brand name, I want quality cover that will last awhile. I don't want to leave it out in the open. I know they are made to be outside, but I would think long periods of time in the elements would start to fade the trailer.. How hard are these covers to put on and take off?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knipper64 View Post

Today i pulled the trigger and bought a 2021 Grand Reflection 295RL, we pick it next Sat, of course I will have plenty of questions. One of the first ones, How do you store your RV when not is use? Was thinking about building an overhang, or should I buy cover for our new 5th wheel. If I buy a cover, what brand name, I want quality cover that will last awhile. I don't want to leave it out in the open. I know they are made to be outside, but I would think long periods of time in the elements would start to fade the trailer.. How hard are these covers to put on and take off?

Thanks for your help.
    Being honest, it can be a bit of a chore especially for one person but we feel it's worth it to protect it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I passed on a cover as I have seen that algae and mold can grow under a cover, and be unseen until it’s too late. An overhang would be my choice.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have nasty winters, freezing and snow and all. Haven't decided what I'll be doing yet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knipper64 View Post

Thanks for your help.
    I would love it if we could store under cover. There are a limited number of open, covered spaces in our storage lot. And both my husband (who does the parking) and I are very nervous about the pipes that hold up the roof every 2 spaces. We have an open, uncovered space. We did purchase an RV cover, but it's never been out of the box. Couple of reasons - 1) we typically travel at least once a month, so covering and uncovering that often seemed too much, since we wouldn't be covering it while in use camping. 2) As 2 "old people" we're not sure we want to be climbing up and down off the roof that much.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    Being honest, it can be a bit of a chore especially for one person but we feel it's worth it to protect it.
    Yep, it is a chore but personally I don't have a choice here in Orlando. Covering my TT will keep it looking new for years. I bought a cover from CalMark about 3 years ago after going through 2 cheaper covers that disintegrated after 2 1/2 years (first one replaced under warranty). CalMark covers are made from Sunbrella material which is the best and lasts for years. It is not cheap, a CalMark cover for a 37' TT costs about $1600 but in the long run will be cheaper than buying a more economical cover every 1 1/2 years. Sunbrella material dries very quickly and is breathable, never had any serious mold issues. I'm not sure how long a cheaper cover would last in an area with less intense sunlight.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on where you live, I would personally would not put a cover on my RV. I have a friend that allows several of us to store our trailers on his property during the winter months. Several of the others used covers on their RV'S and come spring time the covers all ended up tattered and torn due to the wind getting up under the covers and ripping them to shreds which caused damage to the edges of the roof and sides of the trailer from the covers rubbing on them. These covers varied from cheap ones to high end ones and they ended up in the same condition. Not sure how your winters are but I would take that into consideration. I would go with an overhang or a metal canopy. Ive seen some for around the same price as an expensive cover.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armand_c View Post
    I would go with an overhang or a metal canopy. Ive seen some for around the same price as an expensive cover.
    I agree, a fixed canopy would be the best. I wish I had the required setbacks to have one. As far as covers shredding, Calmark makes theirs so they fit under the bottom of the RV. They also need to be secured properly. Whether this would work for continuous high winds I don't know.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went the metal carport route and spent $2825 installed. We thought about doing the cover but figured we should spend the extra $ and just do it once & be done with it. Didn't want to bother with putting it on and taking it off. We do keep it at a friends place as we live on a city lot and don't have the room to store it.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could go with a metal roof but in our situation it's just not possible.
    Are winters are harsh, lots of snow, cold, freezing rain.... gotta figure out what to do.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE