Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at Grand Design Solitude 386FL

We love the front living room 379FL (length does concern me though we already have 39'). We have a keystone alpine that has a 12" center support. I thought that was a big deal but The solitude has 10" support. I have read the cross support under basement is also important and is sometimes only 8". I am hoping the company can respond to this as the 386 is 42 foot+ and it would seem bigger support would be better?? Why are you using 10"??
    Last edited by BruceL; 06-22-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Bruce! I think you are referring to the Solitude 379FL if I'm not mistaken. You are correct, the Solitudes do have a 10" I Beam frame, but it is plenty strong enough for the 16,000 lbs GVWR.

Steve

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it is a double stacked 10" I beam frame, which means it is 10" up under the storage as well.

The Alpine has a 12" frame, but only 8" up front where it really needs more....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! It makes sense. We are looking at 379FL Tuesday. Worried about weight with my 2008 f350.

jaw3336
    My F350 Dually handles the weight no problem,,I was a little worried about it. I did have to add air bags to get the front jacks of the trailer higher off the ground.

loudounrv
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw3336 View Post
    My F350 Dually handles the weight no problem,,I was a little worried about it. I did have to add air bags to get the front jacks of the trailer higher off the ground.
    I hope to be a 379fls owner some day, and I have a question about the need to add air bags. My local Ram dealer has a 3500 DRW that should arrive any day. Beginning with the 2015 models, there is an option to add an auto-leveling air suspension on the rear. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the 2014 truck without air, or wait to place a special order, in which case the truck would arrive in October or November.

I've read on other forums where most big 5ers like this will cause the truck to sag. I only have a small TT now, so I truly don't know. If you were in my situation, would the auto-leveling air option be a slam dunk in your mind? It costs $1,800. I know you can find less expensive aftermarket options, but I've read where others have paid around $1,000 just for the installation and $300 to $500 for the parts. So the stock option sounds like a bargain since it also comes with the truck's warranty.

Cost aside, I just want to confirm--should I expect air bags of some kind to be necessity if I hope to some day own a 379FLS, or similarly-sized 5er?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum loudounrv! With the tongue weight of the 379, IMHO, a dually is a must, and getting a factory installed air bag kit is a no brainer.

Good luck with your search for a truck and the 379.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO you simply do not truly realize the benefits of the air bags until you tow with them the first time!!! To me it is also a no brainer---lots of peace of mind when towing
    Gary and Jo
    Corona Ca
    2014 Solitude 305RE (Odyssey)
    2014 Ford F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 - 6.7 Diesel (Apollo)

tgalley
    I have a 2014 RAM 3500/379 FL and the truck is perfect for the RV. Not much sag at all. Great truck too.

tgalley
    With the RAM 3500 the air bags are a waste of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast