Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This latch must be smarter than I!

Hello all,
    I am repairing some things on my new to me 2015 Reflection 29RS, and I have baggage compartment latch that is giving me fits! As near as I can tell, it is a Kencon latch Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slam.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	484.7 KB 
ID:	14808 It looks exactly the same as mine. The receiver on the frame of the compartment is one like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Latch.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	14807 not like the newer Relections. My problem is the latch will not lock. When I close it, I can hear the latch engage the receiver, but when I lock the door I can pull it open with very little effort. I tried removing the receiver and raising it by putting a couple of metal plates under it, which raised it about 1/8", but it did not help at all. I asked my local dealer, but all of the units he had were the newer type of slam latch, so he did not know what I was describing. I have compared the latch on that compartment with all of the others, and without removing all of them, the latches all look the same. I would buy a new latch, but the one I have seems to be operating as it should. The one thing I have noticed is that the plunger (the part that actually engages the receiver) retracts even when it is locked, but I can't see why that would make a difference, since when it is locked, you can't lift the handle. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance! Jim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim
    It maybe that the plunger is not able to stick out to the striker plate. The striker plate maybe to high or the door is not going closed enough for the plunger to stick out.
    Try to take the striker plate of then shut to door gently to see if it will latch. This may help in determining the problem.(maybe?)

Does the plunger stick out when the door is open?

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, I am not sure but I will try that this afternoon! Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I removed the catch and the door operated as it should. I reinstalled the catch and no go. I even trimmed down a shelf that I thought might be in the way. My solution...replace the two thumb latches with locks. There is more than one way to skin a cat, or a baggage door!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the catch is too thick. You could pull it off, put it in a vise and squeeze it down to make it narrower. Go a little at a time and test it after each try until it works properly.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Doug! I hadn't thought of that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have a solution, but do have the same problem. Our 2020 Reflection 29RS is at the dealer now for some warranty work, including this latch!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I was planning on eventually putting locks on all of the compartment doors that match my entry door, I did that with this door. I don't like having the key on the standard compartment locks available to anyone who owns a GD an maybe other model RV. I am not worried about my fellow campers, but I do get concerned when we park at a WM or shopping center for an extended time. I have some valuable things in the baggage compartments that I don't want to have to replace!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]