User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315RLTS Washer & Dryer Installation (How I Did It)

Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    Howard, did you do the dryer of have it done? Thinking of putting a washer dryer(separate units) in but a little concerned about drilling a 3-4" hole in the side.
    As requested, see attached PDF. If you have any questions fire away!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315RLTS Washer and Dryer Installation.pdf 
Views:	396 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	14813
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, Nice work, do you need to strap them(kudos on what could be called overkill on the straps better safe than sorry) down they do weight a lot and may not move around, I was planning on use the grain pan as well because when washers go out they leak water and sometimes oil. I am looking getting a pair that are 6 months old from a guy north of me.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    ...do you need to strap them
    The word "need" implies "required". I don't remember reading (in the manuals for the appliances or the trailer) that securing the applicances is required. I may have missed it, though.

FYI, the dryer is surprisingly light compared to the washer.

BL--the washer and dryer are strapped down for my peace of mind.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write-up. Thanks! I am hoping to install my units soon.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straps v2

I had orange straps in my garage when I first installed my washer and dryer so I used them. I just tossed on the selt belt comforter (bought at Walmart) to protect the edges of the appliance, too. As you might expect, Fran wanted something that looked nicer.

For the life of me I couldn't find bright white straps (at a reasonable price) so I used silver I found on Amazon. Cut down the seat belt comforter, too, so there's just a small piece under the corner to eliminate the possibility of the straps wearing away the finish on the appliance.

Fran's happy, so as the saying goes...

ORIGINAL

Name:	DSCN0125 (Small).JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	17732

NOW

Name:	DSCN0132 (Small).JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	17733

Straps

Name:	DSCN0129 (Small).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	17735

Close up of Corner Protection

Name:	DSCN0133 (Small).JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	17734

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how did you anchor the straps to the floor, I have a 7100XC that I have to install this week before I hit the road
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mestubbe View Post
    how did you anchor the straps to the floor, I have a 7100XC that I have to install this week before I hit the road
    I screwed D-rings into the floor. They are shown in the PDF (first post in this thread).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up doing just that, was on the way to Home Depot before your response. Not sure I like the hoses that came with the washer, seem kind of cheap.
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, thanks for a great write-up. I'm buying a slightly used set from a GDRV Solitude owner who traded his in, but pulled the washer and dryer. I'm picking them up on Friday and will be installing them in our 313RLTS this summer.

A couple of questions:

1. The periscoping dryer vent. Lowes has a number of them. Did you use the 21" x 41" or the 21" x 45" (or didn't it matter)?
    2. Anchoring the D-rings to the floor. You used 3/4" screws and "gently torqued them" into the floor. I'm not at the trailer now, but couldn't you bolt them to the floor by accessing the ceiling of the basement? Was there a specific reason why you went with wood screws?
    3. For the 90º hose adapters, was there a specific length that worked best? By that I mean 1" x 1" would be better than 2" x 2" for example?
    4. Did you remove the mattress to get the appliances into the closet? If not, would it have been easier if you had it to do all over again?
    5. It would appear that you've pretty much lost use of the closet for anything other than a laundry room. Is that the case?
    6. I understand there is a filter in the washing machine. How difficult is it to get to once the washer is installed?
    7. Tongue weight. Adding those two put 200+ lbs into the nose. What's your tongue weight now as a result?

More questions to follow... LOL

Thanks.
    Last edited by jim1521; 05-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Howard, thanks for a great write-up. I'm buying a slightly used set from a GDRV Solitude owner who traded his in, but pulled the washer and dryer. I'm picking them up on Friday and will be installing them in our 313RLTS this summer.

A couple of questions:

1. The periscoping dryer vent. Lowes has a number of them. Did you use the 21" x 41" or the 21" x 45" (or didn't it matter)?
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but I bought the 24" to 45" adjustable vent. Don't neglect to seal it up real good with HVAC tape. https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-24...r-Vent/3203041

2. Anchoring the D-rings to the floor. You used 3/4" screws and "gently torqued them" into the floor. I'm not at the trailer now, but couldn't you bolt them to the floor by accessing the ceiling of the basement? Was there a specific reason why you went with wood screws?
    No specific reason. Yes, if you line them up carefully I'm sure bolt/nut combination is possible. The straps are not cranked down super tight. "Snug" is a better description. Wood screws seemed the right choice at the time. So far everything has held together and we've towed over some violently rough roads.

3. For the 90º hose adapters, was there a specific length that worked best? By that I mean 1" x 1" would be better than 2" x 2" for example?
    Again, not sure if these are the "best"--I just know they worked. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-2-Pa...tor/1000096862

4. Did you remove the mattress to get the appliances into the closet? If not, would it have been easier if you had it to do all over again?
    This is a two-person job, no question about that. I had a friend help me lug in the washer and dryer (washer is much heavier). The mattress was actually a great place to put down the appliances without damaging them during the process.

5. It would appear that you've pretty much lost use of the closet for anything other than a laundry room. Is that the case?
    Yes, that's the case. We've removed the closet doors as all they did was get in the way. Saves weight, too. Have you seen my kennel thread? That's how we're utilizing the rest of the space.

6. I understand there is a filter in the washing machine. How difficult is it to get to once the washer is installed?
    I'm embarrassed to admit that if there's a filter I haven't looked at it. (Now I'm going to have to go look!)

7. Tongue weight. Adding those two put 200+ lbs into the nose. What's your tongue weight now as a result?
    I've been as high as 1,700lbs. It is tough to keep the trailer under the GVWR. It didn't help when I added the inverter and batteries. I travel with 4 gallons of water in the fresh tank (for the potty on the road) and that's it. I even drain the hot water tank every single time on travel days. It's great that GD made it so we can put a washer and dryer in the trailer, but they sure didn't give us the CCC required.

More questions to follow... LOL

Thanks.
    Bring 'em on!
    Last edited by howson; 05-08-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast