User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member

Timon0x31

Hi all,

My wife and I are basically retired and looking to get out of California. We plan to get a Toy Hauler and see lots of the US while we figure out where we want to make our home base hopefully in a new more friendly state.

We're looking at a toy hauler so we can have more room for our hobbies, two large dogs and to carry something like a smart car or GEM for local use. Being an Engineer and Ham Radio operator adding lots of Solar and high tech goodies is on my todo list for any toy hauler we buy.

We have been looking at the Fuzion and like the 404 but I hate the headroom in the sleeping area on all of their toy haulers. We really like much of what we see in Grand Design's Momentum, plus the extra headroom, so we'll be asking a lot of questions. The fact that the people that started GD started Keystone was a major point in looking at GD. Hopefully what they build is of higher quality.

Let the questions begin.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that many normal toy haulers are capable of hauling a Smart car, but many haul motorcycles in the garage.

Many regular size toy haulers are very long and very heavy unloaded. If you had a toy hauler that would handle a 2000 lb. car in the back, it might require a medium size truck as a tow vehicle.

Good luck with your new hobby.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Timon0x31 and good luck with your search for a Toy Hauler!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill echo the others, welcome to our little place of cyper space. Can't tellyou much about THs except that they are heavy so a larger truck (DRW) is probably recomended.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Timon0x31
    The truck we're looking at is a Dodge 3500 MegaCab Diesel DRW with a TS3 air ride hitch and a SimpleSlide. Don't know yet what ratio to get. The reason for the MegaCab is that it's the best for our two large dogs when the seat is folded down although I will need to get a ramp as it's too high for them to jump up.

Can't believe how much trucks go for these days, that beast is over 62K list.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Check out our Blog entry "Drilling Holes in the New Camper".

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Timon0x31. We left SoCal in 2011. Within 2 weeks of retiring, I was outa there and returned to my place of birth here in Washington. Based on our experience with the Grand Design product, the quality and attention to detail is better than most. Not to say they don't have their problems. They do. So do $100K+ rigs. What sets Grand Design apart from most other manufacturers is the high level of customer service from the factory. This company really does care about their customers. They've proven it to me more than once and THAT's rare.

We took a chance buying from this new company in 2013 and when we've needed them, they have never let us down. They are awesome! Good luck and have fun shopping for your new rig.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Timon0x31 and good luck with your search for a new TH.
    I'm sure someone will weigh in on if the Momentum can carry a smart car.
    The last campground we camped in there was a Fusion that was carrying a smart car. The guy said his car only weighed around 1600lbs.
    He also said the only trick with hauling the car was getting in and out of the car once it's in the garage
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Timon0x31
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

On the Smartcar, I can understand that. I think the trick is not loading it directly in the center but offset it so its closer to the wall on the passenger sidle If done that way it should be no harder than fitting into a compact parking space. To me the hardest part is securing it. If Smartcar was smart, nice play on words, they would offer a tie down kit or at least a manual on how to best do so.