User Tag List

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Was the new ”V” support already made up or did they just take 2 pieces of flat steel and construct the ”V” on site?

I think I’d now inclined to find a local welder and have the rest of the hangers supported in a like manner.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob, this must have been my fault.... I haven't been on the forum in quite some time and yesterday I logged in to do some research and ask some questions. Considering all the suspension stuff we were doing it the past and me logging in yesterday it must have been my fault. But I was glad to see it was on the curb side and not the other because that would have made me suspect, of the 3k springs.

Anyway, you are blessed on where it happened and I am glad the repair went well. Hope the rest of the trip goes well!
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob maybe you could do a write up on how you planned this failure in front of the factory. 🙂 Seems much easier than my method of fixing the hanger in an RV Park. I’ve been trying to figure a way to reinforce the hangers and I think you and I have discussed this briefly in the past. I like this fix as it doesn’t set up a stress riser right straight across the hanger.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have fractures in a hanger. The problem was discovered on Friday at the rally. We had discovered this over a year ago while traveling and a trailer shop had done a weld and we thought it was fixed. It extended past the weld. It appears that a weld is only temporary fix and the hanger bracket must be replaced.

We were told we needed to go to the Lippert service center to get it fixed. Initially the Lippert schedulers at he rally said it would be 2 weeks, but said to call the service center directly. Fortunately, they were able to work us in on Tuesday at 7 AM and it is only about 3 miles from the fairgrounds. We didn’t get it repaired at the fairgrounds, but did get to repark and watch the harness racing on Saturday and will avoid Labor Day traffic so the extra days have some benefit.
    Tom and Tanya
    Live in Alaska, currently winter in Texas Hill Country.
    303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Rob,
    Was the new ”V” support already made up or did they just take 2 pieces of flat steel and construct the ”V” on site?

I think I’d now inclined to find a local welder and have the rest of the hangers supported in a like manner.
    I was told that LCI has hanger inserts like this that they call “V Clips”. I have never seen one of these and the repair tech did not have one with him, so he made one by cutting a piece of 1/4” sheet to the right width and length, bending it to a 90 degree angle and welding it into place.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I was told that LCI has hanger inserts like this that they call “V Clips”. I have never seen one of these and the repair tech did not have one with him, so he made one by cutting a piece of 1/4” sheet to the right width and length, bending it to a 90 degree angle and welding it into place.

Rob
    Thanks Rob for the reply.

So appararenly LCI only uses those "V" supports on shackle brackets that have already failed. A real shame those are not incorporated in every frame build.

What's your thinking on getting the remaining shackles "v'd" up ?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    What's your thinking on getting the remaining shackles "v'd" up ?
    This is something that I would really like to do, but the logistics of finding an affordable way to accomplish this will not be easy. Gaining welding access to the hangers (particularly the centre one) will require removing the springs and equalizer. Fabricating the “V Clips” will be the easy part . . . sections of suitably sized angle iron will accomplish this. The inverted welding will be the tricky part .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if getting new hangers and having the "V"'s welded first on on the inside of the hangers then welding the new assembly to the frame might make it easier?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hey Rob, this must have been my fault.... I haven't been on the forum in quite some time and yesterday I logged in to do some research and ask some questions. Considering all the suspension stuff we were doing it the past and me logging in yesterday it must have been my fault. But I was glad to see it was on the curb side and not the other because that would have made me suspect, of the 3k springs.

Anyway, you are blessed on where it happened and I am glad the repair went well. Hope the rest of the trip goes well!
    Hi Pat! . . . I’m glad to see you’re back. I was wondering what happened to you . I have had a lot of conversations with different 303 owners about how we figured out how to balance out our 303s. One of the more interesting ones was at the most recent rally where I heard how GDRV upsized only the left side springs on a 303 to level it out (gee . . . wonder where they got that idea ) but LCI became aware of this and came up with some BS about how this would unbalance the trailer, so the right side springs were changed too. So, this owner has 3000 lb springs all round . . . but his 303 is still not level side-to-side. F=kx is still a mystery for some . . . who really should be able to understand this.

As you have noted . . . the broken hanger was on the side that has never had anything but OE 2600 lb springs and OE spec 80 psi 15” E tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Did jacking & removing one wheel allow the repair?

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast