User Tag List

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
    I have followed this thread from the beginning, and just reread the whole thing.
    Hi Dave,

Wow! This became a long thread (320 posts!!) since I started it almost exactly a year ago! From Lansing, you are nearly "next door" to LCI and Grand Design in Goshen, Indiana. The "V Clips" are the reinforcement for the long hangers. LCI knows all about installing these. I would suggest that you work with Grand Design and LCI to get these installed at either the Grand Design factory service center or the nearby LCI facility.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any welding shop that works on trucks and trailers can fab and install the V clips. It’s not a real tachnical mod. The Moryde X Factor cross members is a viable alternative to the V clips if they will fit on your trailer. Whatever you decide do it to all 4 hangers. They all get the side loads that can lead to failure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thank you for the suggestions.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Replacement Spring Hanger Opposite Side Spring Flattening

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Hanger.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	22014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 Road Side Rear Spring.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	22015 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Road side Tire.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	22016
    2016 303RLS Reflection 5200# axles with 6 replacement 3000# springs and a replacement rear curb side spring hanger.
    In Wyoming on the way home from Minnesota, I contacted a RV Technician to work on a furnace issue. Asked him to check out my new spring hanger. He informed me that my springs on the road side are beginning to flattening out and should be replaced when we get back to California. he questioned why only the curb side springs were replaced. Although my axles look okay, the RV tech also recommended replacing with 7,000# rated ones, I do not know if this is a good engineering change being that the axles should flex a little with calculated weight.
    Back in California the road side Goodyear Endurance tires are worn out, they have no more than 8,000 miles on them. I contacted Lippert. Lippert customer service rep requested I take my trailer to a trailer shop to have a professional evaluation performed before proceeding. The Lippert rep was vague whether or not Lippert will again help with this issue.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just replaced our springs and shackles on our 303. 7000 lbs sounds a little (or alot) overkill. When we went to pick up the springs we had the spring shop add a leaf for the spring on the kitchen side to help with the weight difference.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Response to Marcy & Gary & Dave27,
    For clarity, was the addition of a leaf on the road side (refrigerator, pantry, HW heater, furnace and closet side) your idea or was this a suggestion of the spring shop? How will this suspension modification potentially affect the towing, trailer ride and tire wear?
    The suspension modification suggestions that I have read on this forum as well as received from a RV technician seem to be to counter to the engineering design decisions of the Grand Design engineers. One independent RV technician told me 50% of the Grand Design trailers he has worked on have springs that are flattening. So, if Grand Design engineering has calculated the suspension system of their trailer incorrectly, this should be a major recall as well as a potential safety issue. When the spring hanger broke on our trailer, the trailer tracked behind my truck at an angle. Flattened springs also cause the trailer not to tow correctly. Replacing and modifying the suspension on trailers that are only a few years old should not be tolerated. I am concerned that once the suspension has been modified without Grand Design’s permission, any future problems will not be Grand Design’s responsibility.
    I have an appointment at a truck and trailer suspension shop this week for a professional evaluation of my trailer’s suspension system and I will be very interested in their recommendations.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was going to replace springs, I would replace all of them with 3500 lb per spring replacements even for a 5200 lb axle. As long as the axle tubes are bending, the springs are the weak link. Just for info, the difference between a 5200 lb axle and a 6000 lb axle is that the 5200 has 6 lugs and the 6000 has 8 lugs. The axles both have 3 inch O.D. tubing and it is 3/16 thick. 7000 lb axles have the same main components, but the wall thickness of the tube is 1/4 or .250. Weighing the trailer side to side would be helpful in knowing where to add weight to keep the trailer evenly balanced as possible.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    If I was going to replace springs, I would replace all of them with 3500 lb per spring replacements even for a 5200 lb axle. As long as the axle tubes are bending, the springs are the weak link. Just for info, the difference between a 5200 lb axle and a 6000 lb axle is that the 5200 has 6 lugs and the 6000 has 8 lugs. The axles both have 3 inch O.D. tubing and it is 3/16 thick. 7000 lb axles have the same main components, but the wall thickness of the tube is 1/4 or .250. Weighing the trailer side to side would be helpful in knowing where to add weight to keep the trailer evenly balanced as possible.
    Dexter 6000 lb axles come with 6 on 5-1/2 lugs. I have two of them on my 315RLTS that replaced the 5200 lb axles.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...es-gw-6000_lbs

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure but 6000# axels may have larger spindles as well.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorwinion View Post
    Response to Marcy & Gary & Dave27,
    For clarity, was the addition of a leaf on the road side (refrigerator, pantry, HW heater, furnace and closet side) your idea or was this a suggestion of the spring shop? How will this suspension modification potentially affect the towing, trailer ride and tire wear?
    For us, The added leaf was something Gary wanted to do, it was then discussed with the spring shop and they agreed this was what they would have suggested. As for ride and tire wear, we'll have to see. We are taking off this morning with trailer in tow. I have always left my paper towel holder standing on the hutch counter and it is always right where it was left. If it's still there when we arrive later today then the ride hasn't changed other than the height and support.

The other set of springs were getting worn but were still driveable, all 4 replaced and ready to roll!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-20-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast