User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone DIY replaced a fender skirt?

Long story but Today’s task is to replace one of my fender skirts. I have the brand new plastic skirt ordered from GD that I will need to cut up as it covers two slide outs. Two questions:
    1) what should I use to section it (I was thinking a fine tooth jigsaw blade)
    2) should the screw holes be predrilled? The fender comes with indents for screw location but not drilled. I still have all of the factory self drillng screws I will reuse.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jig saw should work well. I would pre-drill the holes and not overtighten as this will crack the plastic. Also do not leave sharp pointy exposed corners on the lower edges by the tires, just something to get cut on while looking under trailer(did this).

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've replaced 2 on my Momentum. A Jigsaw and very fine blade will work fine. My rig is a 15 model, and the replacement I got was much lighter plastic than the original. They also had double the "dimples" molded for screws, so I only pre drilled the ones that matched my screw pattern.

Don't know about on yours, but shipping was as much as the cost of the fender.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced it today. Cut as described with jig saw and it went well. Mine was $70 and 28.50 shipping. When the fender came in I compared it to the original and noticed that the shade was a bit off. The dealer called grand design and they sent me an additional entire fender for free at no charge with free shipping so that I could replace both sides and have a match set. I am approximately six months out of our one year warranty how was that for customer service!
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're fortunate. I had to paint the one we put on our Premier Bullet TT. Couldn't exactly match the paint economically, but got it real close.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    I've replaced 2 on my Momentum. A Jigsaw and very fine blade will work fine. My rig is a 15 model, and the replacement I got was much lighter plastic than the original. They also had double the "dimples" molded for screws, so I only pre drilled the ones that matched my screw pattern.

Don't know about on yours, but shipping was as much as the cost of the fender.

Alan
    Can you tell me who you ordered the skirts from. I lost a tire and need to replace one