User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Manual Light Switches With One Control

I find the One Control system to be cumbersome on it's best day. My wife likes it a whole lot less than I do. So I set out to see what it would take to eliminate it and use regular light switches instead. What I have found is SO much better.

The kitchen ceiling lights have a regular light switch to turn them on and off. They can also be controlled from the touch pad. By removing the touch pad from the end of the cabinet I was able to get to the back of the switch and found it is a standard SPST on off switch with a 12VDC feed. The one control unit recognizes the change in state of the voltage on the output of this switch (either voltage goes on or voltage goes off) and changes the state of the kitchen lights. It works like a 3 way switch with the physical switch being one of the switches and the One Control unit being the second switch. I could see the color of the wire from the switch that went down the wall as being white/Green. I opened the wall in the basement under the stairs and found the white/green wire was connected to pin 1 on the "Input Switches High Side" of the light control unit. By applying or removing 12VDC from this connection point the lights would turn on if they were off or they would turn off if they were on. I tried applying voltage to the other 8 pins on that side of light control and got varied results (More about that in a minute).

There is some programming which I needed to do on the One Control touch pad. There are 2 choices for switch type in the programming of the ports in the One Control. Momentary and toggle. The kitchen ceiling was set to toggle, some of the others were set to momentary hence the varied results I mentioned above. With it set to toggle it simply turns the lights on or off with dimming being done through the One Control touch pad. I think this setting will work best for us so I set all of the switch types to toggle. With the switch type set to momentary pushing the switch and releasing it will turn the lights on or off. Pushing and holding a momentary switch will cause the lights to dim then brighten. When the lights get to the brightness you want you release the switch and they will stay at that brightness.

To program the switch type I pressed the little yellow icon in the top left corner of the screen 5 times, it asked if I was sure I wanted to do advanced programming and I touched Yes. I scrolled down the next screen until I saw the different lights and touched the icon for the light which brought up a configuration screen. Scrolled down that screen touched where it said momentary and a pop up box gave the choice of Momentary or toggle, touched toggle, then touched set then went back.

So far the hardest part of this was pulling the panels out in the basement to get access to the wires and getting the wires in place. I took the white/green wire off the kitchen light switch, attached my string and pulled it down. I attached the 8 new wires (red ones in the pic below) then pulled it back up. It was a bit tight getting it pulled around the framing in the back of the cabinet but I was able to reach in and manipulate it to get it to pull through.

I have thus far pulled 8 wires from the one control up to the wall cabinet in the kitchen near the One Control touch pad. I have them connected to the control unit in the basement and I have switches on order which I will install when they arrive.

I am just waiting for the switches to get here so I can install them. We will then be able to simply flip a switch to turn the various lights on or off or use the One Control touch pad to turn them or off, or dim them.

One other thing I was not too fond of was having the lights over the dining are and theater seats on the same switch as the kitchen lights. While in the wiring under the stairs I saw there were 3 wires connected together on the kitchen ceiling output of the light control. I checked and 1 was the kitchen lights, 1 was the light over the stove, and the other was the dining/theater seat area. Also port 2 on the light control module was vacant so I connected the dining/theater seat lights to the spare port and they now work separate from the kitchen lights.

BTW the pic is not upside down, the control module is mounted upside down in the camper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEDDD5FF-1617-415F-A819-2213BFC346E7.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	962.8 KB 
ID:	14896
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write up, I've been contemplating adding some back-up switches, but it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do this.

Question on the dimming, were you always able to dim lights from OneControl or is this something you were able to do by changing the switch type in programming mode? Mine is a 2017 so I imagine we have different firmware installed (I don't have any options to dim my lights currently).

On a side note, what switches did you end up ordering?

Also, you should check out Front Panel Express; they have a panel design program you can download, it will give you pricing on a panel you design, and you have the option of having them fabricate it. That will certainly end up with a nice clean install and properly labeled switches unless you already have a plan for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Good write up, I've been contemplating adding some back-up switches, but it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do this.

Question on the dimming, were you always able to dim lights from OneControl or is this something you were able to do by changing the switch type in programming mode? Mine is a 2017 so I imagine we have different firmware installed (I don't have any options to dim my lights currently).

On a side note, what switches did you end up ordering?

Also, you should check out Front Panel Express; they have a panel design program you can download, it will give you pricing on a panel you design, and you have the option of having them fabricate it. That will certainly end up with a nice clean install and properly labeled switches unless you already have a plan for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have always had the dimming option on the One Control, ours being a 2019 it probably does have some new stuff to it.

I ordered some quad SPST switches from Amazon. I couldn't find anything that would do 9 switches in 1 panel. I will try to check from panel express to see what they can do. Thanks.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up. Keep us posted please.
    2019 Momentum 381M
    2018 Denali Dually LB with B&W Companion puck hitch
    Polaris RZR XP1k and Ranger 900XP

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep us up to day on this. I have a long list of things and bypassing some of the one control is on it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the light switches I have been waiting on, finding multiple mini rocker switches took some internet searching but i got some I am happy with.

I soldered a jumper across the back side to provide the 12VDC to the switches then connected the wires I had run to the One Control module under the steps. Cutting the hole in the cabinet was the hardest part, I think I measured 4 times before I drilled the starter hole and started up the jig saw. I simply turned one switch on, connected a wire to it, checked which light came on then moved the wire to the proper switch. When they all worked I screwed the switches to the wall and it all works as nice as I had hoped it would. The only thing left to do is to put some black paint on the screw heads so they won't show so much.

Over all, thus far, I am very happy with the results.

Name:	A34B304D-E915-4016-8E43-F69C46F107F0.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	15075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECFED9CB-0C4B-434B-85B6-A1119FCF5581.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	15076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445276DB-C89D-4AD2-8592-6607419FF5D9.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	15077
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Please keep us up to day on this. I have a long list of things and bypassing some of the one control is on it.

What I have done with this mod does not bypass the one control, it adds physical switches to it. IMO this is a huge improvement because it makes turning lights on or off much easier. I can still access the one control or use the APP to turn lights on or off or to dim them.

One thing I could not figure out was how to add the LED strip in the awning to the physical switches, it is on a latching relay output of the One Control module and I did not see a way to add a switch for that. Doesn't really matter as that light is pretty useless any way. It is on the roller tube of the awning so it can only be used when the awning is out but since the awning can't seem to take more than 5MPH winds and can't be adjusted down far enough to give good shade it will be in most of the time anyway.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    What I have done with this mod does not bypass the one control, it adds physical switches to it. IMO this is a huge improvement because it makes turning lights on or off much easier. I can still access the one control or use the APP to turn lights on or off or to dim them.

One thing I could not figure out was how to add the LED strip in the awning to the physical switches, it is on a latching relay output of the One Control module and I did not see a way to add a switch for that. Doesn't really matter as that light is pretty useless any way. It is on the roller tube of the awning so it can only be used when the awning is out but since the awning can't seem to take more than 5MPH winds and can't be adjusted down far enough to give good shade it will be in most of the time anyway.
    That is a gripe I have on mine also!
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I got the light switches I have been waiting on, finding multiple mini rocker switches took some internet searching but i got some I am happy with.

I soldered a jumper across the back side to provide the 12VDC to the switches then connected the wires I had run to the One Control module under the steps. Cutting the hole in the cabinet was the hardest part, I think I measured 4 times before I drilled the starter hole and started up the jig saw. I simply turned one switch on, connected a wire to it, checked which light came on then moved the wire to the proper switch. When they all worked I screwed the switches to the wall and it all works as nice as I had hoped it would. The only thing left to do is to put some black paint on the screw heads so they won't show so much.

Over all, thus far, I am very happy with the results.

Name:	A34B304D-E915-4016-8E43-F69C46F107F0.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	15075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECFED9CB-0C4B-434B-85B6-A1119FCF5581.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	15076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445276DB-C89D-4AD2-8592-6607419FF5D9.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	15077
    DAMN I have GOT to do this! The lights controlled by only the "One Control" is my biggest gripe! Great modification!! Thanks for the advice. Where did you find those nice switch panels with proper labeling?
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug,
    Great write up! Good job. Thanks. I don't have a One Control but I understand the challenges with it. And knowing a bit about remote controlled switches now understand more about the One Control (the togged/momentary/latched, etc.) and how it controls various lights.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast