User Tag List

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convenient Size Silicone Sealant & Reorganized

Used some of this stuff when I put in the new tail lights and also used it to reseal the rear center clearance light when installing rear camera after rewiring. Good size and easy to use rather than a regular size tube and caulking gun.

Picked it up at an auto parts store. Nice resealable cap easy to store in the storage cubby hole compartment.

I bought some self leveling roof sealer in the regular size tube, kind of a pain to use with a caulking gun, seem the stuff always drys out before I can use the whole tube. I have to look around for some of the roof sealant in a smaller size tube.

thought I would add the reorg I was doing before we head out this weekend. These parts bins come in handy for keeping things sorted out and finally got around to storing the stabilizer jack handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silicone.jpg   parts bin.jpg   stabilzer handle.JPG  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cap screws back on but it is not resealable. Every time I reuse one of those small tubes the nozzle is plugged up and I have to punch a hole in the side to get some out. Wish they made one time use amounts of that stuff.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

It appears that a clear sealant was used on my Reflection's tailights. They need some touch-up. Can I assume that GD used silicone for that? Are there any other sealants that would have been used that are clear?

Thanks,

Peter

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    Hi Steve,

It appears that a clear sealant was used on my Reflection's tailights. They need some touch-up. Can I assume that GD used silicone for that? Are there any other sealants that would have been used that are clear?

Thanks,

Peter
    Hello Peter, Not that I am aware of, but yes, I think GD used silicone on everything, they seem to like the stuff. When resealing around exterior lights and stuff you really have to remove the old silicone, clean the surface with alcohol or a non-solvent based product before applying new. New silicone will not stick to the old very well. Don't know of other sealants that are clear that are not silicone based but I am sure there probably are some.

Whatever cleaner you use I would test it in first to make sure it doesn't harm the surface of what you are cleaning. I have heard some people have had good luck with a product called "goof off", but I've never tried it. I have used WD40 as a cleaner and when I was removing the big sticker advertising labels from the exterior wall of the slide out on our solitude I used cigarette lighter fluid to clean off the sticker gummy residue. That worked pretty good and didn't harm the slide out exterior wall.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mineral spirits cleans old silicone very well. As always, test on a small spot somewhere less visible first but it should be no problem.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using these for at least a decade on tubes of caulk. Work great to keep it fresh and tips flowing!

Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I've been using these for at least a decade on tubes of caulk. Work great to keep it fresh and tips flowing!

These are only $3.79 on Amazon. Nice find! https://www.amazon.com/Caulk-Cap-CCY...s%2C211&sr=8-4