User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said I will post the good so here it is. Stopped by the dealer today and although they haven't worked on it the parts are there. We asked if they would get everything done by next Tuesday as we need it back for a camping trip. They said considering the amount of work they doubted it would be completed by then. I said lets go ahead and make an appointment to drop it back off and they said when your trip is over drop it off and we will finish what we couldn't complete. I was expecting them to say a couple of weeks after we get back so when they said drop it off and they will get on whats left that's good. Apparently the dealer is trying which I appreciate. That builds loyalty to whatever brand they carry when its time for a new one.

Another plus for the dealer. We realized we left the back lights on and had already turned in the keys. They said they would take care of it. We stopped by there and the lights were off, battery fully charged and it wasnt plugged in. Proof they did what they said they were going to do. Had the battery been dead I would have been mad. It would have been easy for them to say don't worry about it we will charge the battery when we work on it and the customer will never know. To some no big deal, to me a big deal. I am very happy they did what they said, when they said.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Rizzles
    mtpocket, I agree with you. A lot of the problems we have experienced with our unit are attributed to a lack of attention to detail and poor practices during assembly. Perhaps stepping up QA during the assembly process will help reduce some of the issues customers are experiencing.
    This is our 3rd RV and because of that I expect to have minor problems which is a crazy mindset. I mean we just dropped a lot of $$$ into a product that I am expecting to have defects? Doesn't seem right, but this is the norm in the RV business based on past (and present) experience.
    We have owned our 369RL for 2 months and below is a list of problems we have encountered:
    1) Speaker covers in the bedroom missing (cosmetic)
    2) O-ring on water filter housing missing (Caused water leak from housing assembly)
    3) Paint on front cap is fading in two spots (cosmetic)
    4) Dead bolt malfunction prevented key from fully engaging to unlock the door. This happened on our second trip and forced me to call a locksmith after hours and incur a $70.00 cost to gain entry into my brand new RV.
    5) Main entry handrail foam is cut
    6) Upper track of bathroom door is separating from the frame due to the lack of support screws. This is causing the door to sag.
    7) Kitchen sink retaining clips separated from the counter. The retaining clips are mounted to a piece of plywood that is hot glued to the bottom of the counter. It looks like heat caused the glue to soften and the plywood fell into the kitchen drawer.
    8) Dining table glass is bowed
    9) Fresh water tank drain handle mechanism came unthreaded from the valve

These are the things that we are able to see and honestly I often worry about those that I can't. I've pulled the divider in the basement to check for leaks and general serviceability and have not encountered any issues. We have been through a few storms both towing and setup, and am happy to report that we have not had any leaks.
    We really love the RV and thankfully have not had any major issues.
    I've attached a few pics of the mentioned problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy Gang, I think right now if I posted about my experiences since I took delivery, it would make your toes curl. I just got back from a long weekend and went to drop off my RV to deal with some more of my "Punch List" stuff. I had an appointment to do so and there shouldn't have been more than a days worth of work. They told me they couldn't have things done by Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I had a trip planned for the holiday weekend that I can't get a refund for so I left today with my RV and had to make another appt for mid next week.

Rizzles and mtpockets, I have your lists beat by A LOT! I'm not posting the details now as I want to calm down from the latest. I want to provide constructive feedback here and want to hear back from GD before I list out the things I've had happen. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending.
    Scott and Lois-South Jordan, UT
    2014 Solitude 379FL #1467
    2011 F350 Crew Cab

Rizzles
    Stunts, I believe these forums are a great source of information not only for those who own a GD product, but for the company itself. Hopefully others check a few things on my list such as the door track, sink retainers, fresh water drain valve and are able to catch them before they cause further damage. I know our list is relatively minor and am thankful that we have not had any major issues.
    Good luck and I hope that you are able to get resolution on your list.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So a couple of things. 1) I agree with you completely. 2) I wrote a blog post along these lines: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...he-RV-Industry. I am disappointed in many things with this camper. I still love it, but the shine has worn off. This is an issue with an industry, not just this company. It's just this company promised to be different. It's great to take care of problems after the fact, but I'd much rather you do it right to begin with.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you Chris. We own a Reflection 303 and have experienced several major problems as well as numerous smaller nagging issues. I think that the whole quality issue is a cost of manufacturing problem. Quality cost time which costs money. If you build with quality as the number one requirement all of the delivery issues would go away. There will always be problems created by bouncing these units down the road. I spent 25 years in the semiconductor industry which was forced into a zero defect culture by competition from Japan, the auto industry went through the same transformation due to competition from Japan. Until there is a formidable competitor nothing much will change other than the window dressing. These as all companies are profit driven and have not figured out the cost of after sales support.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuts
    Why wait to post the issues? You may save someone troubles by posting them so we can minimize damage or preventing it all together. Do you believe the service you receive could be impacted by posting it here? I would hope that wouldn't make a difference.

Chris
    Well said and your blog is right on. Also agree with do it right at the factory instead of letting the dealer and more importantly the customer handle it. The guy missing speaker covers really shines the light. Are they not at least doing a walk through before sending these down the road? Somebody should have a checklist before releasing a trailer for shipment.

We spent a little time with a guy we met with a new solitude. Many of our issues are the same. In my industry the manufacturer releases Product Correction Notices. When an issue is discovered the customers are notified and the fix recommended by the manufacturer is spelled out. I am not referring to recalls where there is a danger to life, just issues like leaking showers, bent doors, bad tabletops, defective furniture etc. Is there such a thing in the RV industry? If so where do I look? I guess we kind of do it here but to often its us fixing issues and bringing them to every ones attention. The manufacturer has the best record of where the issues are due to warranty claim volumes. Publish the problems and fixes. I think I know why RV manufacturers don't
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2015 369RL Solitude

Just us 2
    After reading all the stuff about our new trailer, it makes me wonder what we bought. We just bought a new F250 and a new 293 so we are looking at around $90,000. That is a lot for a hobby. We enjoy traveling and like the idea of our bed, our shower, our living area and being able to cook when need be.

I was in the luxury car business most of my career. If one of our cars, some less then what we paid, had these kind of problems, it would have been a nightmare. This is our second 5th wheel and our last one was a Forest River. We really liked it, only a few problems at first, then 70,000 miles and all was good. We had planned to buy a bigger one but found the GD Reflection. It was what we wanted and this and other forums liked it. So far we have had electrical problems, door problems and if you read our black tank issues you know about that. So far we haven't traveled too much in it but are heading out for a two week journey. I hope all goes well.

If the RV industry doesn't shape up, people will spend their money else were, look at Harley-Davidson. A few years ago you couldn't buy one they were leaving the showroom floor so fast. Now you can get a good deal on one. We bought the cheaper GD 5th wheel and it was still big cash. I could have bought a Corvette and had a good warranty. O'well we will see if we got a good one or not.

Just us 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer fixed most of the issues. The scratch on the awning and the many on the ladder were touched up. I can see everyone of the scratches because the paint isn't exact. Dealer said they could replace both but said if the did in their experience we might be asking for more trouble as these items aren't really made to be put off and on to many times. While I somewhat agree it's disappointing to have to accept these because of carelessness at GD. The straightened out the chairs and they look nice. Did good work. Replaced the messed up light above the sink but now there noticeably different colors. There going to fix that as they had a few on hand due to others with defects. The tv was put in too tight or just cheap because it was crooked due to the back plastic screw inserts broken. Thanks to the dealer they went across the street to best buy and put an insignia tv in it. No more sound bar pops. Imagine that. Very grateful to the dealer for taking care of that quickly. As we were packing up we found the wood strip that runs vertically along the entry door has no nails in the lower four feet. Need to see who is afraid to bend over with a nail gun. Overall the dealer has gone above and beyond and I am happy with their work. GD quality continues to not meet expectations. There are other issues but would take to long to spell them all out and most are cosmetic. Already have another trip to the dealer scheduled. At this point I may just schedule an appointment the first of every month. Nothing to do but laugh I guess and raise a glass of my favorite spirits.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mtpocket - following your list...what flooring issue requires a flooring repair kit?
    Larry & Mollie
    2014 Grand Design Solitude 305RE #425
    2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 quad cab
    Hometown - Slapout, Alabama
    Traveling for 4+ years

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast