User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TLB923 View Post
    Interesting thought. Maybe the engineering minds on here could come up with something to remedy that.
    Interesting that you should think so too. As I mentioned on an earlier thread, I contacted Andersen directly to ask if they had ever considered their hitch on a manual slider base. I think this would be the perfect light weight 5th wheel hitch for smaller short bed trucks. It wouldn't be too difficult to come up with adjustable end stops to fine tune both towing and maneuvering positions. Their response to me was brief (dare I say "Curt" ) whereby they informed me that this was not something they would consider . . . no reason given.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    Many thanks to all you who offered solutions to my turning and window smashing problem. I will continue to look into the offered suggestions and hopefully come up with something that will keep me from smashing my back window.... it has become a very expensive issue. Thanks again. Joetar
    Reversing the kingpin adapter won't change very much - the fiver is still the same width and the hitch hasn't moved.

If you have the gooseneck ball type of AUH you can get an offset ball that will move the hitch aft by 1.5 or 2.0 inches. The downside of this is that it will unload your front axle by 30 or 40 lbs and that may cause handling problems. Just depends on your truck and loading. Be very careful until you find out how it handles.

If it works, you will also find that the fiver is easier to back.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should this be moved to "hitches"

Brian

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    I have a 2018 Chevrolet 3500HD turbo diesel with a standard bed to pull my 2017 Solitude 310GK with the ultimate Anderson hitch. I have now broken out TWO rear windows by turning too sharply. Does anyone have a solution? Can I change the style of Kingpin to compensate for the turning problem? I have been trying to research the problem, but am not sure how to proceed. I live in Nevada and the closest dealer is in Reno - would they have a solution or am I just going to have to live with the problem? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    We have the Pullrite Superglide for the very reason you've come here. I'd likely be on my fifth or sixth rear window by now! I wanted a fuggedaboudit solution to the short-box turning issue.

It does its job of moving the trailer back when turning well enough. I'm not delighted, though, and thought I'd share a couple of negatives as you consider your options.

- It's a big and heavy full-time occupant of your truck bed, limiting its use for other things. Takes up roughly half the bed and weighs several hundred pounds.

- It's sometimes tricky to hook up, usually when the truck is angled to one side or the other (driver's door is lower than passenger's door, for example). In this situation the level pinbox on the level trailer can move the kingplate around and prevent proper engagement.

- It's a dirty thing, needing lubrication (with very light oil, not grease) every time it's used and the lubrication attracts dirt. When stumbling around it in the truck bed trying to use the limited space it leaves for use the dirty greasy hitch isn't friendly.
    @Cate&Rob makes a good case for having a manual slider hitch instead of the automatic Superglide we have. I bought it largely out of fear that I'd forget to release the slider when it was required, but Rob counsels getting out and manually releasing the slide when hooking up and whenever ANY maneuvering is required. Essentially the hitch is slid back except when driving. This might work for you too.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly there is a way to measure. Start with the hitch in the truck and measure form the center of the hitch (king pin location) to your truck cab. Then measure from the center of the king pin housing (at front of trailer) to the edge of the trailer front. If that measurement is greater than the distance form the hitch to the cab you will have contact at near 90 degrees. You also take into account the offset from the king pin location to the front of the trailer somehow. When I got my first 5th wheel years ago the dealer had a plywood board king pin hitch mock up (think big T square with centering dowel) that he used to demonstrate and check cab clearance. Every hitch and king pin set up out there will have cab contact - it just depends how tight you jackknife.

Now having said that my neighbor tows a 36' Montana with a GM short box and has never hit his cab. He has a B&W hitch. He indicated he has learned how tight he can turn before contact. His king pin is what came on the trailer and is somewhat extended.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did several test turns to see how far I can go before hitting the cab. I found that I can see the front corner of the trailer in my side view mirrors. Once I see that the corner is getting close to the cab I stop the turn.

I can get at least 75 degrees of turn.

Solitudes are wider than the Reflections so that would seem to reduce amount of turn before contact. .

Here are some pictures I took for max turn with my Reflection.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important to remember that a small clearance on level ground can quickly become an interference when the ground is not level.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    It is important to remember that a small clearance on level ground can quickly become an interference when the ground is not level.

Rob
    Very true. As someone who never towed a fifth-wheel before, it has taken a while to get comfortable with all these clearance issues (trailer-to-cab, trailer-to-bed-rails, pin-box-to-bed-rails, tailgate-to-trailer). This is one area where the travel trailers are luxuriously easy. Luckily the stability while towing compensates.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that third and fourth picture makes my head hurt, that is close! My 28BH never got that close on the F250 SB, wonder if hitches make the difference? I am using a B&W Companion non slider. Will use the B&W Companion for the Ford puck system with the new truck, think the long bed will be nicer to tow with, just gotta keep it between the ditches
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Txfivver;187194 wonder if hitches make the difference?[/QUOTE]

Txfivver - The design of the hitch definitely makes a difference. With an Andersen hitch, the trailer pin must be either 2” forward or 2” behind the hitch ball, depending on which way you mount the adapter. Most choose to put the trailer pin forward or the hitch ball to prevent the pinbox wings from hitting the pickup box rails in a tight turn. With a standard hitch and the pin directly over the rear axle, there would be about 2” more clearance. With a slider (manual or auto) there would be another 10” to 12” of clearance.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast