User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Do you have any idea how many inches aft of the axle centerline the kingpin is with the slider all the way aft?
    My Reese Titan manual slider has a tow position 1" forward of the rear axle and slides back 10" . . . so, 9" aft of the axle when all the way back.
    (Just as another reference)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Who me?

I don’t know how I could accurately measure that.

I can put the slider back and take a photo from the side if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, DMB, I think Rob figured it out.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    My Reese Titan manual slider has a tow position 1" forward of the rear axle and slides back 10" . . . so, 9" aft of the axle when all the way back.
    (Just as another reference)

Rob
    Thanks, Rob. I wanted to compare the measurements with the AUH. The AUH ball sits 4.5 or 5 inches aft of the axle centerline (where the gooseball is). The measurements aren't directly comparable, though, because the AUH adapter would be 4 inches aft or to the side (in a turn).
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Thanks, Rob. I wanted to compare the measurements with the AUH. The AUH ball sits 4.5 or 5 inches aft of the axle centerline (where the gooseball is). The measurements aren't directly comparable, though, because the AUH adapter would be 4 inches aft or to the side (in a turn).
    Hi John,

I wonder if the AUH has their ball 4.5" behind the axle centreline because this puts the pin back over the axle again, with the adapter cup behind the pin. Putting the cup ahead of the pin to gain cap to cab clearance, may not have been their original design intent. Just a thought . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi John,

I wonder if the AUH has their ball 4.5" behind the axle centreline because this puts the pin back over the axle again, with the adapter cup behind the pin. Putting the cup ahead of the pin to gain cap to cab clearance, may not have been their original design intent. Just a thought . . .

Rob
    I have no idea what their intent was. From memory, I believe forward of the pin is the preferred position, but Andersen does bless the aft position, too. Doesn't seem to make much difference except for tailgate clearance.

I've pondered the dimensions and variations and ended up more confused than when I started. I still haven't figured out where the moment arm is for either position of the adapter. It is nice, though to have the ball a few inches aft of the axle rather than on or forward of the axle as most non-sliders seem to be. I was concerned that it would unload the front axle, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've found another reason to like the AUH. In planning a trip, there is a 13' 7" bridge and I'm at 13' 4". I'm about 1.5" nose high just to get a bit of additional bed rail clearance, but I think I may lower the ball to the lowest position for that trip (which will still give me 6" of bedrail clearance). The adjustment will take all of two seconds and increase my comfort factor. I like having options.
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Truck clearance for 90 degree turns

I would like to point out those Photos were taken when the hitch was new, before we had left Texas. Since then, I have flipped the A- arms around (I’m not sure what they’re actually called) but when I did this I moved the pin forward 3 inches. I did this to make it ride better when towing, but in doing so, I lost the ability to do the 90° turns.

Now they are aligned with the angled part towards the rear of the vehicle, like so...

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let’s see if this comes out, just trying to show how far forward of the axle the king pin is...

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Its interesting what a wide range of pin locations there is and they all seem to work, OK.

FWIW, if you can see the bed under your hitch, the Fords have a molded circle on the floor where a gooseball is installed. That is usually right over the axle.

You seem to be thriving on full-timing. Glad its working out for you. Kind of pretty country there in a desolate sort of way.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel 4X4; SHORT BED, and a tool box. I tow a 2018 Solitude 310GK-G. My pickup is equipped with a PullRite Superglide 16k hitch, which AUTOMATICALLY slides rearward 14” as the turn progresses. It was specifically designed for short bed pickups. (The movement is controlled by a cam gear ... so you never have to get out of the cab to make, or to end a turn.)
    BEST ARRANGEMENT I’ve seen!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-22-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Missing words

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have for sale (bought a long bed truck ) Pullrite Super glide 2700 model sliding hitch for sale

regards
    Gerry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345