User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private Secure Network with One Control

I was doing some more experimenting and found another thing that I will be doing to make One Control more user friendly.

I got an Ubiquiti M2 wi-fi unit and a TP Link N450 wifi router so I could put together a secure LAN with Wi-Fi in our RV. We will be spending the winter months in it so I like the secure network idea plus the convenience of having the Ipad, smart phones, laptop and printer on the same network and having it secure.

I thought I would try to disconnect the Ethernet cord from the wi-fi unit of the One Control and connect it to the TP Link router. On the first try it did not work. Apparently the One Control has a static IP address assigned and it is on the 192.168.1.XXX network. Factory Default on the TP Link is 192.168.0.XXX. I went into the network settings for the TP Link and changed it's IP address to 192.168.1.1 which automatically changed the DHCP settings in the TP Link so everything is now on the 192.168.1.XXX network and Lo and Behold, I can now access the internet, printer and the One Control all through the same secure network. No more messing around with changing connections if I want to make changes to the One Control devices from my IOS app.

The only problem at this point is where to mount the TP Link router which I think I will put in the basement area just to make cabling easier. I need an Ethernet from the One Control to the TP Link, and I need an Ethernet from the TP Link to the POE injector for the M2, then I need an Ethernet cable from the POE injector to the M2 itself. The M2 will be on a wire long enough that I can put it outside on the ladder if needed to get a signal. Also I will need to get a 12VDC to 9vdc converter to power the TP Link otherwise I will not have connection to the One Control from my IOS app without shore power.

TP Link Wi-Fi Router. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ubiquiti M2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set up the M2 based on the instructions in the Utube video from Outside Our Bubble. NOTE I did not use the Ubiquiti Air Station, only his instructions on setting up and using the M2. https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds complicated

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Sounds complicated

For folks who don't have computer networking skills it is probably not real easy. If you showed up in my driveway with the proper equipment I could set it up in less than an hour, but small business networking is one of the things I did in my working life.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live? LOL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Where do you live? LOL

Western tip of NY state
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Private Secure Network with One Control

Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I was doing some more experimenting and found another thing that I will be doing to make One Control more user friendly.

I got an Ubiquiti M2 wi-fi unit and a TP Link N450 wifi router so I could put together a secure LAN with Wi-Fi in our RV. We will be spending the winter months in it so I like the secure network idea plus the convenience of having the Ipad, smart phones, laptop and printer on the same network and having it secure.

I thought I would try to disconnect the Ethernet cord from the wi-fi unit of the One Control and connect it to the TP Link router. On the first try it did not work. Apparently the One Control has a static IP address assigned and it is on the 192.168.1.XXX network. Factory Default on the TP Link is 192.168.0.XXX. I went into the network settings for the TP Link and changed it's IP address to 192.168.1.1 which automatically changed the DHCP settings in the TP Link so everything is now on the 192.168.1.XXX network and Lo and Behold, I can now access the internet, printer and the One Control all through the same secure network. No more messing around with changing connections if I want to make changes to the One Control devices from my IOS app.

The only problem at this point is where to mount the TP Link router which I think I will put in the basement area just to make cabling easier. I need an Ethernet from the One Control to the TP Link, and I need an Ethernet from the TP Link to the POE injector for the M2, then I need an Ethernet cable from the POE injector to the M2 itself. The M2 will be on a wire long enough that I can put it outside on the ladder if needed to get a signal. Also I will need to get a 12VDC to 9vdc converter to power the TP Link otherwise I will not have connection to the One Control from my IOS app without shore power.

I set up the M2 based on the instructions in the Utube video from Outside Our Bubble.
    NOTE I did not use the Ubiquiti Air Station, only his instructions on setting up and using the M2.

I have the Nano M2 and a TP link setup for the same reason as you, I never use open WiFi, plus I added a 3TB NAS on the TP Link's LAN0. All of it is hidden on top of the cabinets above the couch in our Reflection using VHB tape. Except the POE injector, which is across the room in the corner kitchen cabinet. I drilled holes through the cabinets and ran all the power cords down to a surge protector which I mounted to the wall next to the couch using command strips.

So basically each time we arrive at a new camping spot, I turn the surge protector on, pull out my laptop, log into the Nano's AirOS, pick an open AP with a good signal, and lock onto it. As you know this isn't for the average Joe, but it takes me about 3 minutes tops before we're online and secure.

Right now we're pulling from the AP in the laundry room of a Thousand Trails in Seaside, Oregon.

Nothing beats free WiFi (except secure free WiFi)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-09-18 22_19_49-Window.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	15225
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post

TP Link Wi-Fi Router. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ubiquiti M2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set up the M2 based on the instructions in the Utube video from Outside Our Bubble. NOTE I did not use the Ubiquiti Air Station, only his instructions on setting up and using the M2. https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/
    I too decided to mess round with one control last weekend. As i cant stand switching between wifi networks. I have pepwave soho mk3 setup. I could not get it to connect. I tried different cables, even the little piggy back cable that onecontrol uses, and my router would not pick up the device...The green light on the lan ports would not light up, only amber. I didnt have another router handy to test with, but im thinking there is some incompatibility with my router as when plugged in my admin screen for the router would not load.

Whats interesting is that if you look up the model number of the router onecontrol uses, its a cheap chinese router, but google also brings up a couple models of TP-Link routers with similar number. Maybe TP-link is using same internals? I am glad I just stumbled upon your post, as that proves its either my router, which sucks as it was a $200 router, or its only going to work with specific router software/internals.

Did you have to rename your wifi SSID to start with "MyRV_"? On the android app, oneontrol will only find networks with that prefix.

FYI, if you didnt already know, you can jump on the onecontrol network, go to 192.168.1.2 and gain access the the onecontrol wifi router admin. admin/admin is the username and password.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecactus View Post
    I too decided to mess round with one control last weekend. As i cant stand switching between wifi networks. I have pepwave soho mk3 setup. I could not get it to connect. I tried different cables, even the little piggy back cable that onecontrol uses, and my router would not pick up the device...The green light on the lan ports would not light up, only amber. I didnt have another router handy to test with, but im thinking there is some incompatibility with my router as when plugged in my admin screen for the router would not load.

Whats interesting is that if you look up the model number of the router onecontrol uses, its a cheap chinese router, but google also brings up a couple models of TP-Link routers with similar number. Maybe TP-link is using same internals? I am glad I just stumbled upon your post, as that proves its either my router, which sucks as it was a $200 router, or its only going to work with specific router software/internals.

Did you have to rename your wifi SSID to start with "MyRV_"? On the android app, oneontrol will only find networks with that prefix.

FYI, if you didnt already know, you can jump on the onecontrol network, go to 192.168.1.2 and gain access the the onecontrol wifi router admin. admin/admin is the username and password.
    The thing I found was that the one control appears to have a static IP address on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet. I went into the admin of my router and changed the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.1.1 which Put my router on the same subnet as the one control. I did not have the change my SSID or anything else other than the LAN IP of the router. I don't remember the IP which assigned to the one control so make sure it is connected to your router when you power the router on so it will tell the router what IP address it is using otherwise the router might have already dynamically assigned that IP address which would cause an IP address conflict and nothing will work right.

I tried to access the one control router but could not get in, but since you can get there you might be able to look in the status screens and find which IP address the One Control is using then change the DHCP range being assigned by your new router to exclude that address. You would then eliminate the possibility of an IP address conflict.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too used to love to mess around with this stuff. 8 years into retirement it's like Ehhhh! Why bother.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does this very from VPN from a security stand point?
    Goaltender
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Crewcab 3500HD shortbox
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast