User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master Bed shock struts

Anyone have issues with this? From day one the shocks barely kept mattress up and now with a new mattress it takes force to open the storage area. I pulled the info and it’s a100lb strut. I tried to get GD to help but they only order the 100lbs struts so I bought two 130lbs struts from their supplier. Luckily they were cheap. Under $40 for both. Grand Design said those are only assist struts. I think they are supposed to support the mattress AND door up so you can access the storage underneath, otherwise it would take 2 people to use that area. One to hold door and one to secure items.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. My wife uses me as the assist strut.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copying my comments from an earlier discussion . . .

On the Reflection 303, the original gas struts were 80 lb. We went to 120 lb struts when we added the topper to the original mattress. This was just barely enough lift, so we went to 150 lb struts (which bent the original lower brackets) These are the strongest available in this size. When we went to the 10" gel/foam mattress, this was still not enough lift, so I went to two struts on each side. Two 80s and two 120s lift the bed nicely. Caution now required if the bed is off the platform for any reason . . . that sucker comes up fast with four struts .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried using the 150# struts for king mattress, I couldn't close the bed platform.
    Found by moving the lower mounts to opposite end of bed platform(foot end) that the 80# struts open & close easy, & hold the platform open.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just took delivery of a 11" Nectar memory foam mattress. The website states the king is 89 lbs so our queen is no doubt a bit less.

How do I know what force resistance strut to replace the existing struts with? If the 80 lb struts are too weak, do I just remove those and replace with 150 lbs struts? 120?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the the webste Industrial Hardware Direct. Use the easy strut finder. Look on your old strut there should be two numbers in a sequence the first number was 200 meaning it’s 20 inches long the second number on my strut was 100 which means it was 100 pounds lift. They offer 100, 120 and higher. You can choose the one that you think you need for your bed. They were relatively inexpensive about 15 bucks a piece l

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titans View Post
    Go to the the webste Industrial Hardware Direct. Use the easy strut finder. Look on your old strut there should be two numbers in a sequence the first number was 200 meaning it’s 20 inches long the second number on my strut was 100 which means it was 100 pounds lift. They offer 100, 120 and higher. You can choose the one that you think you need for your bed. They were relatively inexpensive about 15 bucks a piece l
    Thanks! Those are good prices!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My OEM 80# strut mounts were installed like in figure A, but couldn't hold up the platform + mattress.
    I installed the 150# struts like in figure B, but could barely force the platform closed.
    The 80# struts mounted like B work fine now.
    http://www.hatchlift.com/bedlift-kits-installation
    Attachment 15087
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, the two 130lbs worked perfect. Used same brackets and now easily holds up bed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little late to the game here but could you post a pic of how you installed the two struts on each side? Would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast