User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I wrote Alpha Systems and inquired on an approved cleaning method for a TPO roof that has this issue of mold along the trusses. Attached is the procedure and I was a bit surprised on some of the more aggressive techniques. However the mold needs to be removed....with care.
    What do they mean by "3-5 mills" in the attachment , assuming that is supposed to be the dilution factor, but not clear to me./

Thx,
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    What do they mean by "3-5 mills" in the attachment , assuming that is supposed to be the dilution factor, but not clear to me./

Thx,
    John
    John,
    This is unclear to me as well but maybe its milliliters? I will brush on the straight bleach, scrub it with the soft brass brush then hose it off. Hopefully this gets it done as my current method of scrubbing my backside off is not working so well.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just catching up to this discussion . . . when I first read "mold lines" I was thinking grooves in the roof as if they were "molded" in

I use this stuff to get rid of "mold" on my boat. https://30secondscleaners.com It is very much like bleach, actually feels like bleach, but doesn't damage clothes and plants. It works really well, but I have never used it on the RV. I expect that it will take the wax off the sidewalls if you are not careful. On the boat, I use about a pint in a one gallon bucket of hot water and a plastic bristle scrub brush.

BTW . . . what you are trying to get rid of is generically called "mold" but it is actually an algae. Mold likes damp dark areas . . . algae likes hot sunny areas.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I wrote Alpha Systems and inquired on an approved cleaning method for a TPO roof that has this issue of mold along the trusses. Attached is the procedure and I was a bit surprised on some of the more aggressive techniques. However the mold needs to be removed....with care.
    Thank you so much. This is most helpful. I will post pictures of before and after when I get to cleaning next week.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Just catching up to this discussion . . . when I first read "mold lines" I was thinking grooves in the roof as if they were "molded" in

I use this stuff to get rid of "mold" on my boat. https://30secondscleaners.com It is very much like bleach, actually feels like bleach, but doesn't damage clothes and plants. It works really well, but I have never used it on the RV. I expect that it will take the wax off the sidewalls if you are not careful. On the boat, I use about a pint in a one gallon bucket of hot water and a plastic bristle scrub brush.

BTW . . . what you are trying to get rid of is generically called "mold" but it is actually an algae. Mold likes damp dark areas . . . algae likes hot sunny areas.

Rob
    I will research this against what another person posted. Algae makes sense since it's not damp nor dark!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Thanks Rob. It could be black mold or algae or both. I live in a highly wooded area that seems to promote the growth of both. Had to pay to have the house cleaned from the algae that attacks shingles where they killed this with bleach. I've already tried a diluted bleach solution and it did not get it all so I'm going full strength. I will use the 30 second cleaner for maintenance once the roof is cleaned up.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh-oh...This is going to sound like I’m off topic, but bear with me. I’ve been following the maintenance threads here because it’s looking more and more that we aren’t able to trust our dealer to perform maintenance or complete repairs without causing more harm. Today, I attended to our slide seals and lubed the Schwintek mechanism (outside) per the video while I was at it. Thank you all for the advice on manufacturer-recommend products and methods. So I leave the scary part-slide top seal- for last. I scooch up there on my belly from the top of the ladder (where it clearly says “do not step here”) and get comfortable on my knees. I treat (the brand-new-due to a rip we did not see on delivery) the top slide and think, now is a good time to look over the roof. I had seen and read this thread last week. Guess what I see today?
    Black lines every 4 ft. I just went to post a pic, but because we are away from our home wi-fi, pics aren’t migrating from my phone.
    My question: Can this wait til spring, as we are placing our trailer inside a large storage building on Oct. 15th? Our lines aren’t as bad as the ones I’ve seen here. We have the 13th and 14th to deal with it if the weather cooperates.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49EC6EE0-79FA-4675-83FE-167732A5723B.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	15374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8BDF685F-7386-409B-B4D0-4D11210A5142.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	15375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8BDF685F-7386-409B-B4D0-4D11210A5142.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	15375

Cobbler had to post photos, Nancy sees hope!
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm back from three days of helping out my parents and was really looking forward to checking out this process on my 2600RB with the recommendations from Alpha Systems. My trusses are almost clean after scrubbing my ********** off but what remains I could not get clean before giving this a try.
    I used non-splash Clorox bleach and poured it out on an old paint brush and brushed along the truss. After 10 minutes, I used the Osborn soft brass brush in a circular pattern and WOW it came clean with minimal effort. As in 15 minutes per truss, including the 10 minute soak time. I may clean the entire roof with dawn dish soap and this brush. I believe the key is that it gets deep into the textured surface where a standard brush just skips over the high points above the deep groves. Why it likes to grow over the trusses? Exterior condensation (through AC use) to give the algae and early start over the rest of the roof??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TPO with Algae.jpeg   TPO after Alpha Cleaning Process.jpeg  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing some interesting reading, and struggling with CRS syndrome. (As in, I remember watching a DIY spraying wood framing in gutted houses in NO after Katrina to prevent mold spreading. Don’t remember WHAT it was, but it seemed too simple.). Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) concentration apparently is 8.25% in Clorox, 5% in 30 Second Cleaner (red bottle), and seemingly higher in Jomax (deck cleaner made by Rustoleum).
    I was thinking borax solution so I searched further and found this:

https://betoxinfree.wordpress.com/what-to-clean-with/

Keep in mind they were spraying the framing that wasn’t submerged and moldy, trying to prevent the airborne spoors from spreading.
    Anyway if you trust this EPA study the borax shouldn’t damage anything else on the trailer.
    Just thinking, Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast