User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, another find in my travels, Oxy-clean and latex don’t play well together.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Been doing some interesting reading, and struggling with CRS syndrome. (As in, I remember watching a DIY spraying wood framing in gutted houses in NO after Katrina to prevent mold spreading. Don’t remember WHAT it was, but it seemed too simple.). Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) concentration apparently is 8.25% in Clorox, 5% in 30 Second Cleaner (red bottle), and seemingly higher in Jomax (deck cleaner made by Rustoleum).
    I was thinking borax solution so I searched further and found this:

https://betoxinfree.wordpress.com/what-to-clean-with/

Keep in mind they were spraying the framing that wasn’t submerged and moldy, trying to prevent the airborne spoors from spreading.
    Anyway if you trust this EPA study the borax shouldn’t damage anything else on the trailer.
    Just thinking, Nancy
    Thank you Nancy,

I state "trusses" in performing Alpha Systems recommended procedure but its not the wood underside that is the issue. The problem is the algae on the TPO roof is growing along the trusses. Alpha wrote me and stated they removed the TPO on several units while investigating this issue and they stated no algae was found on the underside of the TPO where it was found only on the outside surface of the TPO.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Just catching up to this discussion . . . when I first read "mold lines" I was thinking grooves in the roof as if they were "molded" in

I use this stuff to get rid of "mold" on my boat. https://30secondscleaners.com It is very much like bleach, actually feels like bleach, but doesn't damage clothes and plants. It works really well, but I have never used it on the RV. I expect that it will take the wax off the sidewalls if you are not careful. On the boat, I use about a pint in a one gallon bucket of hot water and a plastic bristle scrub brush.

BTW . . . what you are trying to get rid of is generically called "mold" but it is actually an algae. Mold likes damp dark areas . . . algae likes hot sunny areas.

Rob
    Rob,
    Since the Alpha method has worked so well, I need to now be concerned with this Algae coming back With the 30 second spray, are you spraying it on an letting it dry? Hoping this will keep the algae away.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,
    Since the Alpha method has worked so well, I need to now be concerned with this Algae coming back With the 30 second spray, are you spraying it on an letting it dry? Hoping this will keep the algae away.
    Hi Jim,

I have never used the 30 Second cleaner on the RV. On the boat, I mix it with water in a pail and use a soft bristle scrub brush to remove the algae. Then, I flush the area really well with clean water. If you let it dry on the roof, I expect the first rain will wash it away.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the brass brush and will try in a few weeks. I just cant wrap my head around why this algae grows like this in the first place. All the campers I have owned and seen in my days never seen anything like this. Is it only on Grand Design campers.
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2017 Ram 3500 4X4 Megacab DRW CTD Aisin with B&W companion hitch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I have never used the 30 Second cleaner on the RV. On the boat, I mix it with water in a pail and use a soft bristle scrub brush to remove the algae. Then, I flush the area really well with clean water. If you let it dry on the roof, I expect the first rain will wash it away.

Rob
    Rob, I re-read. I wrote the company and asked them if they approve for use on TPO. If this can be used, it looks like a great way to slow things down.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my sticks and bricks I used to use Jomax. Worked fantastic on aluminum and vinyl siding. Wondering out loud.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roady1 View Post
    I ordered the brass brush and will try in a few weeks. I just cant wrap my head around why this algae grows like this in the first place. All the campers I have owned and seen in my days never seen anything like this. Is it only on Grand Design campers.
    Roady1,

The Osborn brush is solid brass where I see there are a few types out there. I read where some are making these brushes of brass plated steel, so look it over closely if its a different model. I do not know why this occurs along the truss lines. I could write Alpha back and ask the question since it seems they have spent a fair amount of time investigating this issue. I thought that this area may condensate through AC use in the summer to get the algae process started in this area early but I really can only guess at this time.
    Rob, do you have any theories?
    Roady1, if you want, write GDRV and I will write to Alpha again to see what they have to offer.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this has got to be a record in short reply time. This message is from the 30 seconds folks.

Our Outdoor Cleaner is probably the most popular choice for your RV rubber roof. This is a fast instant clean that removes stains from Algae, Mold and Mildew while wiping out dirt and grime. Simply spray it on, let sit about 3-5 minutes, brush if needed on areas of heavy staining, and rinse with your garden hose. We do always encourage testing when cleaning a surface for the first time. Simply apply a small amount to an inconspicuous area, let sit about 5 minutes, and rinse to see results.
    Our Spray & Walk Away is formulated to KILL Lichen, Moss, Mold and Algae over time. While the results are not instant, they are long lasting as the treatment continues to attack the growth while the wind and the rain erode it away. This product should not be rinsed away.
    Please feel free to reach out to us for more information about cleaning your RV roof.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

The 30 Second "Spray & Walk Away" sounds like an interesting product. I have never used this. I would wonder what it might do to the surfaces "downstream" . . . ie: the side walls. I have the EPDM roof material that pre-dates the newer TPO. My roof has a general smattering of algae with no line pattern. Since EPDM "sheds" its top surface, I worry about getting too aggressive with cleaning which might lessen the number of years the EPDM will continue to shed its top surface. I can live with a less than sparkling clean roof if it means that the EPDM material will last longer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast