User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Thank you Nancy,

I state "trusses" in performing Alpha Systems recommended procedure but its not the wood underside that is the issue. The problem is the algae on the TPO roof is growing along the trusses. Alpha wrote me and stated they removed the TPO on several units while investigating this issue and they stated no algae was found on the underside of the TPO where it was found only on the outside surface of the TPO.
    Hi, JimMC,
    I did attend to that Alphasystems statement. Comm is hard and I try hard to keep my posts from rambling. I left out the bits I read about mold ( a type of fungi that is resistant to bleach treatments because the “root” remains in porous surfaces). So, is the TPO completely non-porous? Just thinking that if it is the least bit porous, the borax might inhibit regrowth as well as treat the problem. Actually, I might be in denial that this IS mold, as our trailer has been in the sun since April. Under the TPO, those butt joints are slightly raised. (As if some thin sealant were applied prior to laying the roof material). Around the house, “proud” surfaces tend to collect more pollen, pollution, road grime, etc. Anyway, it is a comfort to know that Alphasystems found no underlayment damage (because really, that’s what we’re all worried about).
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Hi, JimMC,
    I did attend to that Alphasystems statement. Comm is hard and I try hard to keep my posts from rambling. I left out the bits I read about mold ( a type of fungi that is resistant to bleach treatments because the “root” remains in porous surfaces). So, is the TPO completely non-porous? Just thinking that if it is the least bit porous, the borax might inhibit regrowth as well as treat the problem. Actually, I might be in denial that this IS mold, as our trailer has been in the sun since April. Under the TPO, those butt joints are slightly raised. (As if some thin sealant were applied prior to laying the roof material). Around the house, “proud” surfaces tend to collect more pollen, pollution, road grime, etc. Anyway, it is a comfort to know that Alphasystems found no underlayment damage (because really, that’s what we’re all worried about).
    Nancy,
    I would think the TPO is not porous nor semi permeable but I do not have all the details in how its made. I believe your statement about "Proud Surfaces" is the key in why this occurs. The area of the roof on my TT is proud at the truss lines. Since we have a method in how to take care of this issue, we now need a preventative method to keep this growth from re-occurring. Borax may work. Would you want to write Alpha Systems on your idea to see if they approve? Somehow I ended up writing about mold when I actually originally wrote Alpha and stated algae. I'm a cancer survivor and the effects of strong chemo does this to me once in a while. Or I am getting old.....or both. lol
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried this on my TPO, but Spray and Forget is like magic for my house's shingles, vinyl siding, driveway & sidewalk that all darken from mold & mildew here in Houston area.
    Spray on (smells like citrus), wait a few weeks and mold/algae is gone for months,(2+ years for the shingles now).

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy,
    I would think the TPO is not porous nor semi permeable but I do not have all the details in how its made. I believe your statement about "Proud Surfaces" is the key in why this occurs. The area of the roof on my TT is proud at the truss lines. Since we have a method in how to take care of this issue, we now need a preventative method to keep this growth from re-occurring. Borax may work. Would you want to write Alpha Systems on your idea to see if they approve? Somehow I ended up writing about mold when I actually originally wrote Alpha and stated algae. I'm a cancer survivor and the effects of strong chemo does this to me once in a while. Or I am getting old.....or both. lol
    Jim MC, Well, I finally did what you suggested a few minutes ago, but getting there was an exercise in confusion! Guess I learned a lot, though. The Alpha Systems site is a head scratcher. EPDM roof is no longer made by them. Alphaply is no longer made by them. (EPDM is smooth while Alphaply has a “haircel” texture). Information for either roof states they are no longer made and refers you to their Superflex roof. I was frozen into inaction for awhile, because I wasn’t sure WHAT’S on my roof. Do have texture, so it’s not EPDM. Rose early, one cuppa later, I said, “Just give the info on the trailer with model year and build date and ask the darned question”! THEY should know what’s on there. Will report back when a response comes in.
    Hope you are feeling well and the sun greets you this morning
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Jim MC, Well, I finally did what you suggested a few minutes ago, but getting there was an exercise in confusion! Guess I learned a lot, though. The Alpha Systems site is a head scratcher. EPDM roof is no longer made by them. Alphaply is no longer made by them. (EPDM is smooth while Alphaply has a “haircel” texture). Information for either roof states they are no longer made and refers you to their Superflex roof. I was frozen into inaction for awhile, because I wasn’t sure WHAT’S on my roof. Do have texture, so it’s not EPDM. Rose early, one cuppa later, I said, “Just give the info on the trailer with model year and build date and ask the darned question”! THEY should know what’s on there. Will report back when a response comes in.
    Hope you are feeling well and the sun greets you this morning
    Bruce,
    It does not hurt to double check but my email to them clearly stated TPO. I can post my question to them and their response. But go ahead and ask because I have received all kinds of conflicting information in this business when questioning tech support. I've cleaned the area over my trusses and (total time = 1 hour) those areas are like the day it was put on. I will however not try to get the rest of it to this level of brightness. I think it will be an endless battle and the roof looks acceptable. I would now like to get an approved algaecide such as the 30 second cleaner to keep this algae under control. Thank you....the sun did greet me today in Michigan. I hope its bright your way also.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I would post this from Alpha Systems to record the Q&A.

Questions / Comments:

Hello, I have a Grand Design RV that uses the Alpha Systems TPO system. What looks like Algae is growing on my roof an primarily at each truss across the unit. The algae is black. I clean the roof every three months and have scrubbed these areas and still cannot remove this algae completely since its deep in the textured material. Also I cannot get my roof back to the bright white look that it had when new. Is there a cleaner that can safely remove the algae without harming the roof? Dawn dish soap, murphy's oil soap is not getting the job done. Thank you.

Reply:

Hello Sir,

This is something we have seen before with the algae growing on the roof in the manner you are describing.

Every case that we have inspected so far has shown that the discoloration has all been on the surface only – the underside was still completely white. I have attached cleaning instructions that we have found works best on this issue. As long as the cleaning is done with a soft brass bristle brush, it will not harm the membrane.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns.

Thank you,

Monica McCabe
    Purchasing | Warranty | Logistics
    Alpha Systems, LLC.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I would post this from Alpha Systems to record the Q&A.

Questions / Comments:

Hello, I have a Grand Design RV that uses the Alpha Systems TPO system. What looks like Algae is growing on my roof an primarily at each truss across the unit. The algae is black. I clean the roof every three months and have scrubbed these areas and still cannot remove this algae completely since its deep in the textured material. Also I cannot get my roof back to the bright white look that it had when new. Is there a cleaner that can safely remove the algae without harming the roof? Dawn dish soap, murphy's oil soap is not getting the job done. Thank you.

Reply:

Hello Sir,

This is something we have seen before with the algae growing on the roof in the manner you are describing.

Every case that we have inspected so far has shown that the discoloration has all been on the surface only – the underside was still completely white. I have attached cleaning instructions that we have found works best on this issue. As long as the cleaning is done with a soft brass bristle brush, it will not harm the membrane.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns.

Thank you,

Monica McCabe
    Purchasing | Warranty | Logistics
    Alpha Systems, LLC.
    Thanks, Jim, Glad to hear your days are sunny. If I don’t see some rays soon, I’m taking to my bed with a pile of books and saying goodbye to the great outdoors. No response to my query yet. Good news for Rob (Cate and), there is an association of EPDM manufacturers who have studied roof longevity of EPDM on RVs, and their findings are that these might well last 40 years. I take heart in the fact that we are providing inside storage for our trailer from now on. Thinking that alone will slow down the degradation of the roof.
    Nancy (as far as I know, Bruce has only posted once here-about sat service) He does read a lot, but works too many hours to post. He trusts me to speak for him on most, but not all topics.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I haven't tried this on my TPO, but Spray and Forget is like magic for my house's shingles, vinyl siding, driveway & sidewalk that all darken from mold & mildew here in Houston area.
    Spray on (smells like citrus), wait a few weeks and mold/algae is gone for months,(2+ years for the shingles now).

Gene
    Hi Gene,

I was at first thinking this was the stuff I bought for moss and mold on my barn (haven't used it yet). Its not but it seems close.

I have Wet & Forget Concentrate. I tried to look at the MSDS for Spray and Forget but they say proprietary. Darn I wanted to compare them. Their names are so close and they seem to do almost the same thing in the same way.

Not trying to

I called both companies and asked about EPDM and both say will not harm EPDM.

• Spray and Forget does have some Citrus Oil in it. Not sure how much but supposed to be not good for EPDM.

• Wet & Forget Concentrate only contains Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 9.9% This is the main ingredient for many Industrial and Institutional cleaners. Its in Lysol, Clorox disinfectant wipes, Tilex, Armor All Disinfectant wipes and its uses for cleaning commercial kitchens etc.

• They both seem to mix at 5:1
    • Both near PH balanced
    • Both Biodegradable
    • About the same price on Amazon
    • Wet & Forget, sounds like it kills the mildew mold etc. and Spray and Forget seems to be a cleaner. Not really clear on this.

So it sounds like both these products are fairly similar.

Note: Don't use Wet & Forget Outdoor on EPDM. It contains Ethanol! Use the concentrate only.

Here is a cool site for getting an idea of what product contains what chemical: https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.go...s=TblChemicals

I guess I will try a little Wet & Forget on my roof and see if it gets rid of an stains.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hi Gene,
    I have Wet & Forget Concentrate. I tried to look at the MSDS for Spray and Forget but they say proprietary. Darn I wanted to compare them. Their names are so close and they seem to do almost the same thing in the same way.
    I called both companies and asked about EPDM and both say will not harm EPDM.
    ]
    [[LIST*]Wet & Forget, sounds like it kills the mildew mold etc. and Spray and Forget seems to be a cleaner. Not really clear on this.[/LIST]

Pat
    Pat,
    Other than the citrus in Spray & Forget, it does appear they work the same way. Both seem to use the Quaternary ammonium cations.
    I have a gallon jug of each at home, W&F is blue & S&F is orange colored.
    When I spray S&F on the driveway I can see the orange color remain till it gets washed down by rain.
    Both take days to weeks to affect the mold/mildew/moss, etc.

Thanks for following up, I do see on the Wet & Forget site http://www.askwetandforget.com/portf...rget-to-my-rv/ says not to use citric based on RV rubber roof:
    "For rubber in particular, choosing the correct cleaning product is important. Remember to never use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citric based cleaners on your roof. Wet & Forget contains none of those chemicals"

I did see in an old Spray & Forget MSDS from 2010 they used to list ethanol in the super concentrated, but not in their current MSDS/SDS
    https://images.homedepot-static.com/...cc5bff6a0e.pdf

So for now I'll just stick with Dawn or Spic and Span and live with what dark mildew grows on my RV roof.
    Yes the mold/mildew likes the roof joints areas, probably a bit of a temperature difference at those spots.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Pat,

I did see in an old Spray & Forget MSDS from 2010 they used to list ethanol in the super concentrated, but not in their current MSDS/SDS
    https://images.homedepot-static.com/...cc5bff6a0e.pdf

Gene
    Hey Gene,

I didn't see that old MSDS with Ethanol thanks! Maybe they changed their formula. Didn't see Ethanol in the 2012 MSDS. They would not tell me if it did or didn't have Ethanol when I talked to them yesterday. With that I think I will not use it because I'm not sure what is in it. At least on EPDM. At least I know what is in the Wet & Forget.

Thanks,
    pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast