Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Stimpack,

This is from Alpha. After hitting the trusses, I carefully applied the 30 seconds cleaner to the entire roof to not get it on the sides, then made sure to keep the sides hosed down when rinsing it away.
    Okkie doke, thnx. To me it seems pretty hard as for a one person job. I feel like I should be rinsing the side walls down constantly for run off or something meanwhile do this or that. LOL I know i'm overthinking things. Cant wait for Spring dangit to get a lot of this stuff done. Thnx MWC
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l 4x4 regular cab 3.73 gears 68rfe trans. Payload 6255lbs
    2016 Reflection 337rls

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpack View Post
    Okkie doke, thnx. To me it seems pretty hard as for a one person job. I feel like I should be rinsing the side walls down constantly for run off or something meanwhile do this or that. LOL I know i'm overthinking things. Cant wait for Spring dangit to get a lot of this stuff done. Thnx MWC
    If I would have had two hoses to reach my rig I would have done this. Its far safer to have another person on the ground hosing the sides.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    If I would have had two hoses to reach my rig I would have done this. Its far safer to have another person on the ground hosing the sides.
    That's what I was thinking. Me being single is quite hard to do some of this like i'm reading, but all good. Good info and just waiting on the warmer weather.
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l 4x4 regular cab 3.73 gears 68rfe trans. Payload 6255lbs
    2016 Reflection 337rls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is starting to warm up a little in Michigan, I was up on the roof today and noticed the black lines are disappearing by themselves. I didn't have time to get to cleaning them in the fall. Maybe if I wait long enough, I won't have to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof 3-27-19.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	18776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof2 3-27-19.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	18777
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: 30 Second Cleaner works! I finally got around to cleaning the black stuff from the roof. 30 Second Cleaner literally turns the black to yellow as soon as you spray it on and I was able to scrub it clean with a long handle sponge mop with a stiff plastic brush on the opposite side of the foam pad. Rinse and do another place. I was able to do the entire roof plus the slide roofs in about 45 minutes. I rinsed the run off from the walls and windows. Coach is getting washed and waxed later this week.

Name:	roof1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	19522

Name:	roof2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	19523
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 04-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. I’ve been following this thread with interest cuz I have the same issue on my 384 GKR. So, no damage to the finish from the run off on the walls?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    Very interesting. I’ve been following this thread with interest cuz I have the same issue on my 384 GKR. So, no damage to the finish from the run off on the walls?
    No damage to sidewalls from runoff. There was some streaking but it's easily wiped away. Since I'm having the coach professionally washed and polished later in the week I didn't spend a lot of time wiping it I just rinsed it with a hose.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an older thread, but ran across it and think I may have some info that may be helpful.
    I have been a Catastrophe Adjuster for Insurance companies for almost 18yrs now. Every year I deal with water, mold and weather related claims and am very familiar with all types of roofing products.
    Based on the build of the Grand Designs, with wood framed roofing - this sounds, and looks very much like a problem we occasionally run in to called GHOSTING. Ghosting typically happens indoors and is related to the movement of air particles in a not well ventilated place, and the electrostatic charge of the particles in the air.

What is Ghosting?
    When air moves— especially through interior ventilation systems— it picks up an electrical charge. The positive and negative charges force the tiny air particles to clump together.
    Condensation in the walls or ceilings attracts these particles to cold spots on studs and rafters in wood framing. Light-gauge steel studs and steel drywall fasteners have a high level of electrostatic conductivity, so they too attract air particulates.
    Over time, these microscopic bits of dirt and soot gather, making visible stains on walls and ceilings.

It appears as if the algae mentioned, is attracted to the studs or joints on the roof surface as the temperature of this area is slightly less than that of the overall roof surface. And yes, since it is algae, it does not have to be in a cold, damp environment to grow. The slight difference in temperature causes an electrical charge that attracts the algae, and the build-up.

Furthermore, the process will continue to happen over and over again, if the conditions continue or exist in the future, regardless if the algae present now is cleaned and removed.

TPO Roofing - most all comments on TPO roofing have been correct as posted so far. It can be cleaned with bleach. It can be cleaned with a brush. It is nonporous.
    But, as was also mentioned - I would not use and alcohol or acidic cleaner on the TPO, and would only use a brush that lightly scuffs the surface.
    In closing - the algae can be removed without harming the roof - however, if left alone for a length of time, the algae can stain the TPO surface which will not be removeable.
    Hope this helps. Oh, forgot to mention that I have the black marks on my roof too, and have cleaned them off every year since I bought the trailer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylostclub View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but ran across it and think I may have some info that may be helpful.
    I have been a Catastrophe Adjuster for Insurance companies for almost 18yrs now. Every year I deal with water, mold and weather related claims and am very familiar with all types of roofing products.
    Based on the build of the Grand Designs, with wood framed roofing - this sounds, and looks very much like a problem we occasionally run in to called GHOSTING. Ghosting typically happens indoors and is related to the movement of air particles in a not well ventilated place, and the electrostatic charge of the particles in the air.

What is Ghosting?
    When air moves— especially through interior ventilation systems— it picks up an electrical charge. The positive and negative charges force the tiny air particles to clump together.
    Condensation in the walls or ceilings attracts these particles to cold spots on studs and rafters in wood framing. Light-gauge steel studs and steel drywall fasteners have a high level of electrostatic conductivity, so they too attract air particulates.
    Over time, these microscopic bits of dirt and soot gather, making visible stains on walls and ceilings.

It appears as if the algae mentioned, is attracted to the studs or joints on the roof surface as the temperature of this area is slightly less than that of the overall roof surface. And yes, since it is algae, it does not have to be in a cold, damp environment to grow. The slight difference in temperature causes an electrical charge that attracts the algae, and the build-up.

Furthermore, the process will continue to happen over and over again, if the conditions continue or exist in the future, regardless if the algae present now is cleaned and removed.

TPO Roofing - most all comments on TPO roofing have been correct as posted so far. It can be cleaned with bleach. It can be cleaned with a brush. It is nonporous.
    But, as was also mentioned - I would not use and alcohol or acidic cleaner on the TPO, and would only use a brush that lightly scuffs the surface.
    In closing - the algae can be removed without harming the roof - however, if left alone for a length of time, the algae can stain the TPO surface which will not be removeable.
    Hope this helps. Oh, forgot to mention that I have the black marks on my roof too, and have cleaned them off every year since I bought the trailer.
    This makes alot of sense. It has become a ritual for me...go greet he algae!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylostclub View Post

What is Ghosting?

Thank you,,,Brian
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast