Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janice,

I believe the bottom rail comes with a pre installed gasket, that when pressure is applied in the shower bottom, the gasket pulls away from the fiberglass surround causing it to leak underneath.

I caulked both ends, the inside and the outside both without someone standing in the shower, and with someone in the shower (Tatjana) and that seems to have solved it.

I think that there needs to be some sealant other than the installed gasket.

Derek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janice,

I dropped the camper off this afternoon at General RV in Huntley, IL. I will call the customer support number tomorrow. It is there for the refrigerator, shower leak, and awning again.

Jim
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same leaking in my bathroom. There was not enough caulking and some places no caulking at all around the shower enclosure. You need to caulk the inside and out of the shower enclosure where there is a seam between the metal frame and also between the metal frame and the acrylic shower base. You will need to put caulking on your finger or use a small caulking tube (like a toothpaste tube) to get between the vanity and the shower enclosure. I also applied caulking on the floor along the vanity and the shower base and at the far wall and the floor. So if any water does leak out again, it will stay on the floor and not travel through the floor or wall giving me time to wipe it up. It is a warranty item if you are still in warranty.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use blue painter's masking tape to outline what I want to seal--using two strips close together. Then I'll apply clear silicon out of the tube and use my finger to spread it evenly. Pull the masking tape off, and you've got a nice, professional looking seal job.

Recaulking is one of those little quick, inexpensive jobs

Trevor DB Steele
    I am not sure if the folks that make excuses for the manufacture actually work for GD, but when I pay what I pay for the RV and hear so many people with the exact same problem, thats poor quality control. My RV had the same shower leak as another one in the dealer and the many reported hear and my dealer actually saw where there wasn't any clear caulk. Half of my 15 walk through issues were the same issue as the other Solitude in the shop. Maybe GD should gather this info and see if they are caused by the same staff and make some changes.

Read some forums on campers made in Germany and every thing i see says they are made great. American Manufactures can do the same thing if they add a few more dollars to the cost of the RV and put a few less out every day and take their time on the ones they are building. I would pay more for a quality product. I would re-coop that on saved gas and saved time driving to the dealer. It should not be the dealers responsibility to be the quality control of the manufacture. And from what I hear from dealers most manufactures never send the warranty money to the dealers. GD says they will and since my dealer just started selling them, only time will tell if GD sends them their money quickly.

When will the US RV Manufactures learn from the hard lesson the auto industry learned before they realized either make a quality product or turn over your sales to imports. I bet if Ford and Chevy could go back 30 years, and know what they know now, they would have focused on quality a long time ago. Chevy would also still be #1 instead of Toyota.

I have made three trips with my solitude and three trips to the dealer. Really?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trevor: What you've said is very truthful. Many North American corporations put out the products like they do because "they can."

There's getting to be less and less competition in the recreational field (marine and R/V's) year to year. The big companies get bigger as hedge funds and venture capital buy out of business and/or bankrupt companies (and their designs) at 10% of their original investment and put them together with other brands

Grand Design is the only company in the market that's starting a business from scratch--designs and manufacturing. And they're up to 2,000 units in 18 months--and sales are up in an increasing manner.

There's just no reason that the common problems (everyone knows about) cannot be addressed on front end. RV manufacturers shouldn't rely on dealers to finish the work that should have been done properly the first time. And RV manufacturers should demand high quality tires for their trailers--not the junk Chinese tires purchased for the lowest cost.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trevor and Bamaman

Well, I started to reply to your post but it sounded to much like a sales pitch. Many other RV Manufacturers "talk" about quality but I know it us not important to them, it is just words. I don't want my reply to sound like the other guys. However, I would love to talk to you personally to discuss what we are doing to build a quality unit and hear about your experiences with our product. If you send me a personal message with your contact information, you will definitely hear from me. If for some reason, I do not contact you, it is because I did NOT get your message. If that is the case, reply to this post and we will go from there.

Sincerely,

Bill

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This last resonse is why I am glad that I purchased my GD. Have I had some minor issues? Yes I have, but the customer service department has been above and beyond expectations. And then to see one of the owners on a none company run forum actually asking to interact with the customer is what makes me a GD customer and supporter for life. I hope I never have the need to purchase another 5er, but if I do, it will certainly be a GD.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor Long Island Happy Camper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 dloase. I have personally spoken to Bill Fenech and Marc Hauser numerous, numerous times via phone and email from the day I ordered my Momentum up until just yesterday. They are always willing to listen to everyone's criticisms and suggestions on any of there products to try and make the consumer feel more comfortable and to improve their company in any way they can. I recommend Grand Design to ever RVer I meet because of the way ownership and staff members deal with the customers. I hope people realize whenever something is built from scratch there is almost always minor repairs that need to be done. Like when a house is built, the contractor always has to come back at a later date and do minor repairs to the house after settling has occurred. I am truly a Happy Camper in my Grand Design Momentum and if those having issues just give Grand Design a chance to make it right I am confident there will be a happy outcome.
    Jeff - Long Island - New York
    2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH #5
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Duallie Golden Bronze Metallic
    Reese 20K Select Hitch
    TST flow through tire pressure monitor
    Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill:

Thanks for the offer to talk. I hope yesterday was a good day for production, as my 323BHS with SuperSofa was due to come out of the factory then. I hold GD in high regard or I wouldn't be a new customer.

Who knows what your company's going through when production and sales is increasing so fast? The logistics and coordinating production must be complicated.

I am just saying when you have a universal problem like the leaky bottom shower stall or awning tracks that pull loose at the ends, they should be addressed on the production line. These are small, but frustrating, items easily fixed.

And when there are so many blown tires (in the industry) causing seriously expensive damage to trailers, why cannot Maxxis or other high quality tires be used across the board. I'd be willing to pay the difference in price--rather than having to change tires on Day One.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast