Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shower leak part two

I got my unit back from service. One of the issues investigated was a shower leak. The dealer could not replicate the issue. However upon our first shower on our current trip the leak is still there (see attached photo). Is this a warranty issue that GD will cover?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be covered. Mine leaked too but the dealer couldn't seem to handle the fix. Can't tell for sure from the pics but it appears that the leak is along the base rail where it attaches to the shower pan. You can tell if you put pressure on the rail and see water squeeze out. I dried it out good and removed the old silicone. Wiped the area with rubbing alcohol to prep the surface then ran a new bead of silicone along BOTH sides of the rail. Problem solved. I also put silicone along the base of the pan where it meets the floor just to keep it off the sub floor.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read of the Grand Design showers leaking time and time again.

Like said above, get some clear silicone and seal it yourself. If you mask the bottom of the shower off with a couple of pieces of blue masking tape, you can easily apply a thin bead of silicone with your finger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is at the dealer for this issue also. Hope they fix it. Unacceptable we have to do warranty work.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Timon0x31
    Likely the dealer just sprayed water around which of course will not show the problem. It may take the weight of someone moving around in the shower before the leak will appear. Best way to find it is to have someone watch the outside while you're taking a shower. That way they cannot only see the leak happening but use a piece of paper towel to touch around various spots so you can more easily find the leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
    Mine is at the dealer for this issue also. Hope they fix it. Unacceptable we have to do warranty work.
    These rigs are not cars. The level of quality control in the RV industry is lacking. These things are put together almost entirely by hand unlike the auto industry where most of the assembly is automated and strictly controlled. There will be problems. That's where the dealerships come into play. The factory is a source of support for the dealer network to supply product and technical support.

The sad fact of the matter is that some dealerships main focus is SELLING units. Service after the sale is an afterthought. Often, their skills and abilities to perform simple repairs (I'll put it nicely) suck. If there is a simple repair needed on our rig that would normally be covered under warranty, I would rather do it myself than take the time and expense of dragging it to the dealer and risk the repair is not done right.

"Take the time to do it RIGHT so you don't have to take even MORE time to do it over." This should be posted on a big sign in every factory and service facility and supported by dealer and factory management.

Just my 2 cents
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Timon0x31
    Basically you need more experienced handymen not more mechanics for trailers and RVs. Once you get above the frame you're no longer needs mechanics. I'm guessing a good size dealer could get away with at most two mechanics and the rest really good handymen.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the mistakes I've seen posted here should never have left the factory. I did a lot of research on GD prior to buying and felt they were going to make a difference in the RV industry. It seems I may have been wrong and they may be falling in the same hole as other manufacturers, that being poor finish product with no, or lacking quality control. After reading recent articles on GD, I think they are growing so fast that they have lost control of their idea of building a better RV and are concentrating on getting them out the door. My own RV is at a shop now repositioning the awning because it was put on crooked, or not level. Too noticeable for me to overlook. As far as I'm concerned, they should be held to the same standard as the auto industry. We shouldn't need to do our own repairs on a brand new unit. That's the manufacturers responsibility to make sure we don't have to.
    Mark & Midge
    Callie our grandaughter
    Cooper our Golden
    303rls #235
    2004 Dodge Cummins Dually
    Lawrence, KS
    Mark-Retired
    Midge-HSUS State Director

Timon0x31
    Not having seen any video of their production line I can't really comment other to say that for issues such as you have with the awning can be solved with the use of jigs which allows the same positioning every single time. In face when your hand building jigs are what typically allow you to make a product close to that of a more sophisticated production line. The problem with jigs is that they tend to be awkward to when you're talking about large ones but then you have to take the good with the bad.

Take the issue that some have had with a shower leaking. It may sound funny but have someone take a long shower in one, with a swim suit on of course, and see if you get any leaks. It will also test the water heater at the same time.

If you want to leak test then make a rain test chamber you can drive the at least 2 45' RV side by side and will simulate a 2" per hour rain storm. During the test you run everything, vent fans, heaters, A/Cs and even the generators. It should be at least a 1 to 2 hour, so leaks can be found, and someone is in the RV during the entire time checking for problems. It does not need to use a lot of water since you would be recycling it. It may cost as much as one RV but then it's a capitol expense that will last for many years.

You know what, setting something like this up would be a lot of fun.

Still compared to the number of people that have purchased one compared to the number of problems I don't think they're doing a bad job. Remember most of the times only problems are posted so what you see on a forum is always skewed.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed they used jigs too, and maybe they do. If so, that would explain why the lower compartment door on the awning side is also crooked. But, its not nearly as noticeable as the awning.

Also, when I'm told by GD to make some plywood spacers for under my recliners so they will sit level on the floor, that's not only poor product compatibility, but poor customer service. How can you sell a recliner with your product that won't work unless there are spacers under them? Fortunately, the DEALER, not GD told me I could exchange the swivel recliners for theater seating, which I did, and they work great.
    Mark & Midge
    Callie our grandaughter
    Cooper our Golden
    303rls #235
    2004 Dodge Cummins Dually
    Lawrence, KS
    Mark-Retired
    Midge-HSUS State Director

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast