User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Owners--Grease The Suspension!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    May I suggest that you get a grease gun and push some grease in the wet bolts. It looks like you have the typical red grease wiped on the zerk fittings and no grease actually pushed through the bolts. I would bet when you push black grease through the zerk fittings there will be no red grease come out.
    Jerry--you were 100% correct. I am by no means an expert with a grease gun, but I know old grease should push out when new goes in. With a trailer that is only a few months old and with less than 2,000 miles I expected to see grease come out before the new pushed through. Nope. Nothing. Nada. It took quite a few pumps to see evidence of grease.

I urge other fellow new owners to tackle their suspension as soon as it is practical. Don't wait for the first year inspection (or mileage accumulation).

Now to the process I used. Please feel free to critique as I'm sure I didn't do it 100% correct.

Step 1: Insert grease with weight on the wheels. There were some zerks that refused to take grease. (Did I mention the LockNLube is awesome?)

Step 2: One wheel at a time, I reversed the tension on the suspension by using my Trailer Aid to raise a wheel into the air. As noted in other posts, I had to use an additional piece of wood to get the wheel off the ground. On the side in the air I tried each zerk fitting again. Most took grease, one refused. Using a block of wood and a 1.5 ton car jack (it's all I have) I jacked under the U-bolts at the end of the axle just enough to eliminate tension on the suspension. The one zerk fitting giving me fits finally took grease. I then moved the Trailer Aid to the wheel on the same side and hit the zerk fittings one more time (a total of three times on each zerk fitting).

I used Mobil1 Synthetic (it is on Dexter's approved grease list).

There is one fitting on the utility side that concerns me. It's where the Equalizer attaches to the Center Hanger. I could not get grease to exit on the opposite side from the zerk fitting. The grease exited quickly on the front side, closest to the zerk fitting. I suspect no grease went through the bolt/bearing sleeve. Is the answer to remove tension from both wheels on that side and try again? (Raise the trailer by the frame and then support the suspension?) I don't have any 3 ton bottle jacks (yet) so if that is what I have to do this project will have to wait. I surely don't want to disassemble the suspension.

The inside vertical section of the center hanger is noticeably bent, too, while the outside section of the hanger is perfectly vertical. There's no evidence of an impact or marring of the paint, so it looks like the hanger has always been that way. I'll keep an eye on it.

I did not get out my torque wrench, but I did a visual and "finger check" of all the suspension nuts and bolts. Nothing to report--everything looks fine except for minor surface rust I'll have to tackle at some point.

Finally, thank you to whomever suggested I use the truck in 4WD Low when making small movements. (I think it was @Matt&Dana in this thread .) It sure made it easier to control the RV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Center.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	15152
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reflection showed up with no grease at all in the wet bolts. I hope our new Solitude gets some grease from the factory since it's a 2,000 mile drive from the factory to our place.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced the same with the pivot on my 5th wheel hitch (not the plate itself but the zert fittings).
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good info Howard. Since this is a related topic, I'm going to pose a question in response to your thread to see if anyone knows the answer.

Q - Does anyone have information on how many miles properly installed and lubricated bronze bushings should last? I did an internet search and couldn't find an answer.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even worse than no grease from the factory is no grease and someone tried to make it look like they had been greased.

Someone else on here had commented that they had found red grease on the zerk, but it was dry. I made a point of using black chassis grease to see if any red was squeezed out. Nada, zero, zip red grease. I would think that GD would pick up on stuff like this if they really want owners to think they care. That's just plain deceptive.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ! I have a 2017 315..I can not find and grease zerks any 2here on my suspension. Was that something they new they added? Mine is popping and a cracking. We have not had it very long. We winter camp and are getting ready to bring it out. Thanks ! Scott

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just buy one. Yes it is expensive. Yes it is worth it.

I had a handful of fitting that would not take grease. Rather than screw around with lifting the unit up and down to relieve pressure I bought that piece. No issues with grease. The entire process is MUCH easier now. I isn't a PIA to do, the entire process is so much easier and enjoyable now. Just buy it.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aridon ! I can use that on my Suburban also !
    The question I have and I must not of worded it correctly . I am sorry.
    People are talking about wet bolts abd grease zerks on their suspensions. I can not seem to find any on mine. I know you can buy a up grade kit for them.
    But I did not know if in 2018 or 2019 if they came out of the factory that way or I was missing them ? Thanks ! Scott

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SGillis
    I believe that GD went to Dexter axels and wet bolts around August or September of 2017. Check your build date or the sticker on the back of the axels.
    The place to check for the wet bolts is on the back side of the springs away from the tires. This end will have the zerks if you have them.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGillis View Post
    Hi ! I have a 2017 315..I can not find and grease zerks any 2here on my suspension. Was that something they new they added? Mine is popping and a cracking. We have not had it very long. We winter camp and are getting ready to bring it out. Thanks ! Scott
    SGillis, I have a 2017 315RLTS, build date Nov. 2016. There were no wetbolts, just plastic bushings already worn out from the trip from the factory.
    Country Campers, when the change to Dexter axles with wet bolts took place, I believe GDRV also changed to 16inch tires and wheels. Chances are if SGillis's 315 has 15inch wheels there will be no wetbolts.
    SGillis, if you haven't checked your brakes for grease contamination you might want to take a look. All 4 sets on mine were contaminated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast