User Tag List

Thread: Brake Issue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Issue

Came back from a weekend trip yesterday and needed to lock the trailer brakes to slide my hitch back. Manually depressed the control - 2017 RAM integrated brake controller, and pulled forward slowly, except the brakes didn't lock. Switched my display to the brake controller, and no gain was regestring when stepping on the brakes or depressing the lever manually. Not sure what happened as they were working on Friday when we traveled to our weekend spot. The tail lights worked - we check before every pull.

I noticed that the display read that the trailer was connected and it said Lite Electric. I've not noticed this before. Is there another setting? Played around with it, and switched from the plug in the bed to the one in the bumper, but needed to get into the driveway, so I used chalks to slide back. Any ideas as to how to troubleshoot this issue?
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first thing I'd do is pull the break-away switch and see if the brakes are activating. If they are, the problem is likely either a setting on your truck or a problem with your 7-way wiring harness. If the brakes aren't activating with the break-away switch, you'll need to dive into the brake wiring to see where the connection problem is.

Jim

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the controller should be setup to perform as Heavy Electric. That's how my 2012 Ram is setup. It's configurable. Can't remember how to configure your manual or a web-search should guide you.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    The first thing I'd do is pull the break-away switch and see if the brakes are activating. If they are, the problem is likely either a setting on your truck or a problem with your 7-way wiring harness. If the brakes aren't activating with the break-away switch, you'll need to dive into the brake wiring to see where the connection problem is.

Jim
    OK - will check on both suggestions. I'm assuming that I can push the break-away switch back in when finished. Never messed with one of those.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    OK - will check on both suggestions. I'm assuming that I can push the break-away switch back in when finished. Never messed with one of those.
    FatTire - The pin in the break-away switch should pull out and push in easily. If you have not checked this, you might want to have some dielectric grease handy to get the pin and the electric contacts inside, moving easily.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reflection 337 has been delivered to its second owner, we purchased a 2020 Solitude S2930. Very happy with the refinements in 5 plus years, but brakes are very weak, manual engagement from a standstill is there but just barely. Using a Curt Reflex controller bought in 2014. My wife fully engaged the lever in L4 mode, found 8.8 volts at junction box in pin box (not running). Pulled one wheel and drum, adjustment is good, all visible parts are made in USA! Grand Design customer service will ship parts and authorize shops or mobile services to fix. Right now I am considering a new quality controller, and ask for your recommendations. Many thanks! Workamping and full timing in Pagosa Springs, CO and loving it!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good update for our brakes. Purchased Prodigy controller from etrailer, quick install, did road test Tuesday. Decent braking, but will get much better when shoe contact with drums is 100 percent. When I pulled one drum, there was some brake dust but I would estimate contact to be about 40 %. From my previous experience installing forward self adjusting brakes on our 2014 Reflection 337, I am confident that we will be well served very soon. As some local service providers told me, controllers can decline in performance with age and use.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts