Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surge Protector Experience

Hello,
    New to the site.
    We purchased a Transcend 28mks which is 50 amp service. I've been looking at Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X and Surge Guard 34950. Has anyone had any experience with either and any recommendations would be appreciated .
    Thank you very much.
    Dee and Chuck - both retired
    Dogs - Duffy (Westie) and Maggie (Boston Terrier)
    2015 Ford F150
    Grand Design Transcend 2019
    Forest River Flagstaff 2017
    Keystone Passport Elite 2016

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Grand Campers! I have used the Progressive product for several years, on both my 30amp TT and now my 50amp FW. It has proven its worth on many occasions with bad power at campgrounds.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Campers View Post
    Hello,
    New to the site.
    We purchased a Transcend 28mks which is 50 amp service. I've been looking at Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X and Surge Guard 34950. Has anyone had any experience with either and any recommendations would be appreciated .
    Thank you very much.
    That's the unit we have and couldn't be happier with it or the company. Never any problem with this unit, but I have a 30 amp surge protector left over from another RV that I leave hanging on the pole at home. It has been zapped twice and both times it was replaced no hastle. Called customer service, sent the photo and proof of purchase they asked for and a new unit showed up in less than a week. That's quality service and I'm a customer for life.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EMS (electrical management system) is a much more accurate term - they are SO much more than surge suppressors. Our hard-wired 50-amp Progressive Industries unit has saved us from thousands of dollars of appliance damage from spikes (lightening related), brown-outs, bad grounds, and other issues. Don't leave home without one!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifetime Warranty with Progressive is great. Just got new surge protector from them; my old 4 year old unit was making load buzzing sound - still worked however. New unit arrived in 4 days after making warranty claim and they sent me their newest model.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using a TRC 34750 (50 amp) for about 6 yrs. Analyzes outlet for you before you park in the site. Good to know if power is sufficient as well as wired correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Campers View Post
    Hello, New to the site. We purchased a Transcend 28mks which is 50 amp service. I've been looking at Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X and Surge Guard 34950. Has anyone had any experience with either and any recommendations would be appreciated . Thank you very much.
    Those are probably THE two choices if you want to hang your EMS system on the park pedestal. I first bought the Surge Guard, solely because it was the first of the two I found on sale.

However I found I didn't sleep well having that ~CDN$400 device hanging out on the post with glowing lights inviting attention. Also didn't enjoy taking it in when we left the trailer for a while and then putting it back out when we returned. Not that a lot of people in parks are thieves, but why make it easy for just one to relieve you of a pricey piece of kit and expose your trailer to even-pricier risks.

So now we have the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C permanently mounted inside. We plug shore power directly into the trailer, with the EMS always inline and always secure.

(For some reason, links I'm trying to post to that unit are producing "page not found" errors)

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camping world sells security lock system that makes unplugging shore cable from exterior surge protector very difficult. Locking the power pedistle door adds to the security. I haven't had any attempts at theft in the 6 yrs. I've had it, but then locks are for keeping out honest people. If they want something bad enough, why not steal the whole RV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memory serves there was a case a year or so ago where someone had a problem where the line cord plugged into the unit. His pole mounted EMS did not detect the fault and he had several components fail inside the unit. A hardwired system would protect you from a problem in the line cord as well as a campground wiring problem. That pushed me over the edge to go with the EMS-HW50C
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Memory serves there was a case a year or so ago where someone had a problem where the line cord plugged into the unit. His pole mounted EMS did not detect the fault and he had several components fail inside the unit. A hardwired system would protect you from a problem in the line cord as well as a campground wiring problem. That pushed me over the edge to go with the EMS-HW50C
    That was on @Poppy's 5th Wheel. It was causing an open neutral condition where it connected to the camper, but because the EMS was at the pedestal, it never saw the fault where a hardwired version would have. I was completely against installing a hardwired version in a trailer because I did not want to have the aftermath of a surge protection occurring inside the trailer. However, since Paul's issue happened, I have since changed my mind.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast