User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I think you are correct that most of the reported broken hangers are Reflection 303RLS with the 2" square tube lift. But, there have been other models as well. This data may be skewed by the larger number of 303s on the road than any other model and most (since 2016 MY) will have the square tube lift.

Another curious bit of information is that on the 303s, it always seems to be the right rear hanger that breaks first. This is curious because the right side of a 303 is nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the left side.

There are two different lengths of Correct Track hangers out there. I think all the broken ones are the "tall" design. It is only recently that I learned there is a "short" style . . . from Dan's report on his recent upfit.

Rob
    Ours was the right rear hanger. But on our rig it's the heavier side (kitchen slide out).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

I think you are correct that most of the reported broken hangers are Reflection 303RLS with the 2" square tube lift. But, there have been other models as well. This data may be skewed by the larger number of 303s on the road than any other model and most (since 2016 MY) will have the square tube lift.

Another curious bit of information is that on the 303s, it always seems to be the right rear hanger that breaks first. This is curious because the right side of a 303 is nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the left side.

There are two different lengths of Correct Track hangers out there. I think all the broken ones are the "tall" design. It is only recently that I learned there is a "short" style . . . from Dan's report on his recent upfit.

Rob
    Rob the first break we had was the drivers side rear. That one was a bad weld not the hanger breaking. You could see that 3/4's of the weld was rusty where it hadn't been attached for some time. The second break was the passenger side rear and that was a hanger break.

I want to add 2hams (Dave and Kay) also had a break and their 303 was pre lift days
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Maybe I'm seeing things but..... Look at the pictures in #1 of this thread. It looks like John303 has has a 2"x 3" suspension spacer. Anyone seen that before or am I seeing things?

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hi,

Maybe I'm seeing things but..... Look at the pictures in #1 of this thread. It looks like John303 has has a 2"x 3" suspension spacer. Anyone seen that before or am I seeing things?

Pat
    Pat . . . you are absolutely right ! I missed that and have never seen this before. In the first picture attached to post 1 the spacer is definitely taller than it is wide. I wonder if this is a change inplemented to allow the now optional 16” tires on the 303 ? The hangers appear to be the same “tall” hangers used previously. It would make some sense to increase the spacer vertical dimension by 1” if they shortened the hanger length by 1” . . . but, it doesn’t look like they did that.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat . . . you are absolutely right ! I missed that and have never seen this before. In the first picture attached to post 1 the spacer is definitely taller than it is wide. I wonder if this is a change inplemented to allow the now optional 16” tires on the 303 ? The hangers appear to be the same “tall” hangers used previously. It would make some sense to increase the spacer vertical dimension by 1” if they shortened the hanger length by 1” . . . but, it doesn’t look like they did that.

Rob
    Yes, taller frame spacer shorter hanger would be better. Maybe this is when they were trying to decide on changing to shorter hangers.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just wondering about these hangers breaking, are all of them the hangers themselves breaking or could some of them been like ours where the weld itself broke. I know the weld should be the strongest part but what if there were bad welds like ours was. I think the second break was from driving with the hanger broke on the opposite side creating too much stress. If that's the case it could make more sense of what's going on.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Was just wondering about these hangers breaking, are all of them the hangers themselves breaking or could some of them been like ours where the weld itself broke. I know the weld should be the strongest part but what if there were bad welds like ours was. I think the second break was from driving with the hanger broke on the opposite side creating too much stress. If that's the case it could make more sense of what's going on.
    Hi Gary,

In our case (and all the photos of others that I have seen) the top section of the hanger is still firmly welded to the frame and the break is beside the weld. It is certainly possible that the heat of the welding changed the metallurgy of the hanger near the weld, making where they break the brittle/weakest part of the hanger.

Assuming that the hangers are welded (at least on the same side in production) by the same person . . . why is it that the right rear usually fails first .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2014 there was a recall on the Lippert 4.25" hangers I found this but had no luck finding it on NHTSA. Maybe we need to start filing complaints with NHTSA. The breaks seem to be spanning almost the entire life of GD not sure it would go anywhere but maybe it's time to start complaining before this causes an accident and someone gets seriously injured.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an interesting thought about filing an NHTSA report. It certainly is a safety issue. The more I think about what might have happened the more concerned I get about the whole suspension on my 303. Who knows what other stresses were induced before I found the issue. Makes me think more seriously about Morryde's IS system, because it would eliminate so many things other failure points: leaf springs, shackles, equalizers, etc.

Does anyone have information about Morryde IS issues? No point in trading one set of problems for another.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did go ahead and file a report with the NHTSA. Not sure what will come of it, or if I did it correctly, but they can ask if they need more information.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast