3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken spring hanger - next steps?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	15254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	15256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	15253

Sorry for mess with the pictures...having a terrible time figuring out how to do it...

I decided to investigate upgrading my Reflection 303RLS with Moreryde's SRE4000 through Performance Trailer Braking. They were at the Elkhart rally recently, but all their install slots were taken weeks before the rally even began. They sent me some documentation that took me out to the storage facility to take some measurements. I discovered something really odd in that the driver side wheel base measured to be 35", but the passenger side was 32". Crawling around even further I discovered the rearmost spring hanger completely broken. It appears that both welds broke and the whole rear of the spring slid forward until the front arm on the equalizer jammed against the equalizer body. I have attached pictures of the broken hanger, and one of the other side which looks OK. I am amazed at how calmly I am taking this, being grateful to God that nothing really bad happened.

But who do I call first? The trailer went into service about 2 years ago, so I am hoping there is warranty on the frame and this would be covered. Do I start with GD, or with Lippert? Is this the perfect time to do the SRE4000 upgrade and have the hanger fixed in the process? Will it have to be realigned after the upgrade/repair? Any advice from the more experienced travelers?

Attachment 15252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	15253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	15254

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John303 - This ongoing thread is rather a long read . . . but is about exactly what you have experienced. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...332#post185332. The immediate fix is to contact LCI. Several of us are working on a reinforcement plan.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 303 broken spring club!
    There's been a few of us with either the broken hanger or the one hanger in our case fell off causing the other side to have stress cracks!
    We discovered ours this past April we had contacted GD and they in turn contacted Lippert, Lippert sent out a mobile tech and replaced the hanger.
    This is on a 2014 unit.

Call Lippert and let them send a mobile tech to fix it, it's a safety issue and you really are lucky nothing bad happened and I don't think you should take the trailer out on the road .
    They shouldn't charge you (they didn't charge us)
    As far as the upgrade thats your choice.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Grand Design said to call Lippert. Lippert said there was only a one year warranty on the frame. Now I am waiting for the dealer to open to find out how to use the expensive extended warranty we purchased.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    Update: Grand Design said to call Lippert. Lippert said there was only a one year warranty on the frame. Now I am waiting for the dealer to open to find out how to use the expensive extended warranty we purchased.
    1 year?? Every GD I see on the lot has a 3 year warranty sticker in the door window. I can't see how this does not apply to the frame. I would call LCI back and ask for a second opinion, and mention other's experience (On site tech repair for free) here on the forum.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    1 year?? Every GD I see on the lot has a 3 year warranty sticker in the door window. I can't see how this does not apply to the frame. I would call LCI back and ask for a second opinion, and mention other's experience (On site tech repair for free) here on the forum.
    When I talked to our service rep at GD, he informed me that the spring hanger is not part of the structural warranty. The structural warranty only applies to the actual box that's the "house" part of the trailer, not the frame of the trailer.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After what seemed like endless phone calls I found a local towing/repair shop. Randy came out and looked at what I had, said if you drive slow you can get it to the shop a mile down the road. He was right. He will not be able to get to it until next week, but that is fine. The one I did not think about was the fact that it has that Correct Track system, which uses a special bracket. I called back and left a message with the front desk, who is supposed to pass it on. It feels like you really are on your own when this stuff happens...

Oh, the warranty company said it was covered, but passed me on to roadside assistance. Road side assistance no longer pays the repair person up front, you have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. She did find me some numbers to call which eventually led me back to the local shop, which I did not even no did that kind of work. More to come...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am frankly surprised at the significant number of broken spring hangers and broken springs posted on the forum over the years. GDRV and LCI have been quite responsive at taking care of these issues if not in full at least in some part as several folks have shared on the forum. I think they realize the significance of these broken components and the potential damage (or worse) that could result.

Other owners simply had welding facilities or other entities take care of it on their own dime. Possibly they received some reimbursement from LCI or GDRV.....I do not recall.

John 303 - you are fortunate enough to have a plan C with your extended warranty. I am not familiar how these warranties cover these types of things......hopefully in full or close.

Keep us posted.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for kicks and grins I found out Morryde would install the IS system for about $3500. I would like to have it, but it seems overkill for a 303RLS, especially if I can put something like the SRE4000 on for a little over 1/3 the price.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From my recollection, the broken spring hanger appears to be isolated to the 303 model with the 2" extension tubes. Has this occurred with any other models?

Jim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast