User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Goose Box mated to 2016 Chevrolet 2500 short bed

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this. Do any of you have the Goose Box mounted for use with a Chev 2500HD short bed? The reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure I won't have bedrail clearance issues or problems leveling the trailer with this setup. My truck is a 2016 4X4 with standard suspension and OE tires/wheels. I'm just tired of installing/uninstalling the B&W Companion Hitch and losing my bed space when away from home and nowhere to store the Companion.

Here is a picture of my Lippert 1621 pin box height settings for the current Companion Hitch. I lowered it a notch from where the dealer set it when I bought the trailer new so I could get the trailer more level. As you can see, the front bolt is already at the bottom with no room to go lower. I also plan to use the B&W 4" ball extension to get a little more clearance between my toolbox and cab from the trailer.

Attachment 15291

Attachment 15292
    Last edited by Leon T; 09-22-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add picture

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Goose Box is being delivered today. I'll mount it and then take pictures when I hook up so that others will have a good reference for short bed pickups with tool boxes/auxiliary fuel tanks. I had a heck of a hard time finding info on this combination (Goose Box, short bed Chevy, and aux fuel tank/toolbox).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the hitch mounted. It's heavy. My wife and I could move it but she wanted no part in lifting it up to the fifth wheel attachment point. I'm still strong as a bull but it was too awkward for me to do it alone. I used my front loader to lift it then I maneuvered it into place, keeping the front part of it in the loader bucket (with some cardboard underneath it to keep from scratching it up).

One thing I found that I didn't like is that it's made in Mexico. I thought it was U.S. made and I'm disappointed. My B&W Companion is 100% U.S. made. I'll test it out by pulling today if the weather permits (raining in Tucson all day today supposedly) and post results.

Attachment 15602

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to report that the Reese Goose Box hitch works great on my short bed Chevrolet with an auxiliary tank/tool box mounted in the bed. There is plenty of room for the Goose Box to turn in the bed without rubbing on the tool box. My tool box is 24" wide for reference. I can't quite get a full 90 degrees out of this set up without dinging the cab, but I get plenty close enough for what I need. I also did a few u-turns while testing everything out today and it has plenty of room.

You can see where I placed the bolts on the hitch as well. I put them on the lowest setting. My truck is 100% stock, and there is plenty of room to adjust if you have a lift kit on your truck. Also, I used a 4" B&W gooseneck extension to get a little more clearance between the cab and the trailer. Works great.

Here are some pictures. Hope this helps someone out who is thinking of putting a Goose Box on their short bed truck.

Attachment 15611
    Attachment 15612
    Attachment 15613
    Attachment 15614

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I'm happy to report that the Reese Goose Box hitch works great on my short bed Chevrolet with an auxiliary tank/tool box mounted in the bed. There is plenty of room for the Goose Box to turn in the bed without rubbing on the tool box. My tool box is 24" wide for reference. I can't quite get a full 90 degrees out of this set up without dinging the cab, but I get plenty close enough for what I need. I also did a few u-turns while testing everything out today and it has plenty of room.

You can see where I placed the bolts on the hitch as well. I put them on the lowest setting. My truck is 100% stock, and there is plenty of room to adjust if you have a lift kit on your truck. Also, I used a 2" B&W gooseneck extension to get a little more clearance between the cab and the trailer. Works great.
    Leon,
    Thank you for posting this information. I have been starting to research the Reese Goose Box and have the same GM short bed tow vehicle. I also have a 2016 Reflection 303 with the B&W companion hitch on a turnover ball. I want to have my truck bed available when I am unhooked and this seems like a great option. You mentioned in your first post that you planned to use the 4" offset ball and it appears that you used the 2" offset ball instead. How did you come to this decision? Would the 4" offset totally eliminate the chance of touching the cab? Not that I plan on making a 90 degree turn. Also you purchased the 20K 96423 over the 16K 96422 version. Can you offer insight as to your decision to go with the 20K?
    Thank you,
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentil View Post
    Leon,
    Thank you for posting this information. I have been starting to research the Reese Goose Box and have the same GM short bed tow vehicle. I also have a 2016 Reflection 303 with the B&W companion hitch on a turnover ball. I want to have my truck bed available when I am unhooked and this seems like a great option. You mentioned in your first post that you planned to use the 4" offset ball and it appears that you used the 2" offset ball instead. How did you come to this decision? Would the 4" offset totally eliminate the chance of touching the cab? Not that I plan on making a 90 degree turn. Also you purchased the 20K 96423 over the 16K 96422 version. Can you offer insight as to your decision to go with the 20K?
    Thank you,
    Dennis
    Hello Dennis - The B&W extender is indeed a 4" offset. Glad you caught my mistake. I corrected my post above to reflect that it's a 4" set back. I had a little more room in the photo I posted as there was probably still 6" or 8" of space between the cab and the trailer, just didn't want to cut it too close without a spotter.

As far as the 20K version, I bought that for the future in case my wife decides she wants a bigger trailer. If I sell this trailer I'll put the regular 5th wheel hitch back on it and keep the Goose Box for the new trailer. That is the only reason. It's the same size, just heavier built and I didn't want to have to buy another one a few years down the road. I'm placing a link below to the B&W extender. It's stout. It fits in my toolbox so I can lock it away when I unhook the trailer and I have a completely clean bed. I'm also inserting a link to the Goose Box. I thought it was a great deal with free shipping. Arrived on a pallet in perfect condition. Let me know if you need any more information or photos. I'm glad to help. I didn't sleep well the night before I tested this new set up. I was concerned that I'd made a $1,200 mistake, but it all works great.

B&W extender: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reese Goose Box: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post

You can see where I placed the bolts on the hitch as well. I put them on the lowest setting. My truck is 100% stock, and there is plenty of room to adjust if you have a lift kit on your truck. Also, I used a 4" B&W gooseneck extension to get a little more clearance between the cab and the trailer. Works great.

Here are some pictures. Hope this helps someone out who is thinking of putting a Goose Box on their short bed truck.

Attachment 15611
    Attachment 15612
    Attachment 15613
    Attachment 15614
    really appreciate the pictures and reading...... I have a 2013 SB Ford F350 and wanted to start out with the Reese goose box when I purchase my 5th wheel in a couple of months. We are going to get either the 29RS or the 303 reflection. How is your offset ball secured in truck. Do you engage a lock pin from the wheel well area?
    Last edited by Unit88; 11-23-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit88 View Post
    really appreciate the pictures and reading...... I have a 2013 SB Ford F350 and wanted to start out with the Reese goose box when I purchase my 5th wheel in a couple of months. We are going to get either the 29RS or the 303 reflection. How is your offset ball secured in truck. Do you engage a lock pin from the wheel well area?
    Yes, the locking mechanism is activated from the wheel well (the typical B&W gooseneck setup). Still happy with the GB. Wish I'd have gotten it this way when I first bought the trailer. Would have saved me a lot of $$$ and some headaches.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon T: so I have the same interest - Reese goose box using gooseneck ball. However, I have the GM OEM 5th wheel prep/ gooseneck prep package which cannot use any 4” ( or similar) offset to gain more cab to cap clearance. Since the OEM goose neck ball rotates in the OEM socket, there is no offset ball option - at least none that I am aware of.

i guess my question is...if you didn’t have the offset ball, do you think the “ near 90” turn capability would be significantly compromised to the point where you wouldn’t consider it an option?

Anyone have that combo? 2500/3500 short box with OEM prep using Reese goose box without concern??

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fz6fw5 View Post
    Leon T: so I have the same interest - Reese goose box using gooseneck ball. However, I have the GM OEM 5th wheel prep/ gooseneck prep package which cannot use any 4” ( or similar) offset to gain more cab to cap clearance. Since the OEM goose neck ball rotates in the OEM socket, there is no offset ball option - at least none that I am aware of.

i guess my question is...if you didn’t have the offset ball, do you think the “ near 90” turn capability would be significantly compromised to the point where you wouldn’t consider it an option?

Anyone have that combo? 2500/3500 short box with OEM prep using Reese goose box without concern??
    My main reason for using the 4" offset was my in-bed tool box. The hitch was getting too close to it without the 4" set back. If not for the tool box I wouldn't be afraid to run this setup without the 4" extension. I believe I saw where someone with a Ram short bed, with a bed that is 2" shorter than the Chev, who was using this without of offset ball and had no issues. As long as you know the backing limitations it just isn't an problem. Anyone can crack a window or dent a cab if they get carried away backing, doesn't matter what kind of hitch set up you have. I personally don't care if my angles are limited to 90 degrees or 70 degrees, I work with what I have and watch what I'm doing. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast