Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Question A/C performance on 369RL. Engineering Help Needed!

I just had my 369RL in it's first 100 degree day, and I'm kind of disappointed with the performance. There are a couple if issues that need to be addressed, and I would like Engineering to help.
    1. Who tested the bedroom A/C in the 369RL? Did they not lay in the bed and hear the drone and reverberation that everyone else hears? It's AWFUL. You certainly can't sleep with it...but you need it because:
    2. The rear A/C is overwhelmed trying to cool the rig down. The unit sounds like it is desperately trying to push air, but it doesn't make it to the vents in the living room. The vents in the bedroom work well when only the back A/C is working, but the living room is HOT. What can be done?
    3. It doesn't seem that there is a great "system" concept to the overall HVAC system. The heater boils the bedroom, but the living room hardly seems to heat. The A/C does well in the bedroom, but the living room is always warm. The vents near the entry door, and the stairway to the bedroom don't seem to have any air coming out of them. Overall, I'm really disappointed in this.

I would like to understand what my dealer can do to alleviate the drone for the bedroom A/C, and to understand what can be done overall to improve the performance of the A/C, and the overall noise of the A/C. The rear A/C is quite loud too. Are we running the Brisk II and the Penguin II A/C's? Are these units multispeed? I can't find anything on their literature either.

Thanks!
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "vents" near the steps and entry door are heat returns, not output ducts.

The heat comes out from under the island.

The A/C units have a high and low speed, and that is controlled in through the Dometic multi zone thermostat. If you read the book on the stat, it will tell you how to set the different zones for different A/C cooloing. The heat is single zone only.

The bedroom A/C is noisy, it is the nature of the beast. Mine is the same way, as is everyone's that have it. We all know that these A/C units are loud, now put it in a room with a 6 1/2 foot ceiling...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Huntr,
    I am referring to the ceiling vents above the stairway and entryway. When I change the speed on the thermostat, it does not change the speed of the fan motor. And I agree that there is noisy as in fan noisy, and then there is the drone. The drone is only heard in the slide out and is a resonance in tune with the compressor. It's different than the regular noise of the fan.
    Ct..
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The "vents" near the steps and entry door are heat returns, not output ducts.

The heat comes out from under the island.

The A/C units have a high and low speed, and that is controlled in through the Dometic multi zone thermostat. If you read the book on the stat, it will tell you how to set the different zones for different A/C cooloing. The heat is single zone only.

The bedroom A/C is noisy, it is the nature of the beast. Mine is the same way, as is everyone's that have it. We all know that these A/C units are loud, now put it in a room with a 6 1/2 foot ceiling...
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a posting by TucsonJim about poor air coming out of the air conditioner. He's shows a picture showing the inside cover off and then taping the flaps from inside with the cover off. I think it was posted on June 1st. Many people had this problem and know they are getting lots of cold air. Good luck! Posting titled : I think the AC is no good now

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks! I'll go look into it.
    Ct..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lucky View Post
    There's a posting by TucsonJim about poor air coming out of the air conditioner. He's shows a picture showing the inside cover off and then taping the flaps from inside with the cover off. I think it was posted on June 1st. Many people had this problem and know they are getting lots of cold air. Good luck! Posting titled : I think the AC is no good now
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Tucson Jim and I had was a baffle that had slipped to a 45 degree angle in the air conditioner unit. The compressor would cycle on, mix the intake air with the out-take air (since the baffle was allowing the two to combine) and then cycle off. It really was an easy fix. This past weekend, we had 87 degree weather with about 75% humidity and the air was keeping up fine.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I read through the thread, and it's a different system than what is in the 369RL. The 369 uses Dometic Brisk II and Penguin II units. Good find though! I wonder why they came out of the factory that way? Goes back to my blog post on Quality. LOL.
    Thanks!
    Ct..

Quote Originally Posted by CentralMichBo View Post
    What Tucson Jim and I had was a baffle that had slipped to a 45 degree angle in the air conditioner unit. The compressor would cycle on, mix the intake air with the out-take air (since the baffle was allowing the two to combine) and then cycle off. It really was an easy fix. This past weekend, we had 87 degree weather with about 75% humidity and the air was keeping up fine.
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK

Marc Hauser
    Chris,

Just emailed you as well, I was left a message that you needed assistance with AC, please email/call me when you get a chance and we will get on it right away...

Marc Hauser
    General Manager
    Grand Design RV
    Office: 574.825.800 X2010
    [email protected]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc! Welcome to the Forums
    It's really great to see more of the Grand Design people on the forums.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Renee said... Welcome to the forum Marc. You were the one that sold me on my Solitude at last years Portland RV show. Do you remember promising my wife a new toaster?
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast