13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Heartbreak of Delamination

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180924_122122.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	15316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180924_125020.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	15317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180924_124925.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	15318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180924_124746.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	15319

Just returned from a 3 week trip when I noticed this while cleaning up and inspection of roof and seals and such. It appears the sidewall of the trailer is delaminating above the curbside dining slide on my 315RLTS. These spots pretty much covered when the slide is shut and hard to see even when the slide is open. These seams have been visible since new but were not raised to any degree. I don't consider being able to see a seam a problem, especially on a warm day. This particular seam has raised about a quarter of an inch. I'm able to push it back in and I can hear what sounds like glue trying to hold it when I release it. My spirits have taken a nose dive.

There is no sign of any damage or water intrusion on the interior. The exterior issue is directly in line with seam tape on the interior of the wall. We have never had any water intrusion to the interior of the unit. I did have a plumbing leak under the kitchen but that simply dripped onto the mylar insulator and coroplast and ran out.

I have been diligent in keeping all the roof seals in good shape. I have used only the prescribed Alpha Systems sealants. BTW, the first question from CS rep asked was which brand of sealant have I been using.

The trailer is less than 3 years old and should be covered by the structural warranty I have contacted Grand Design customer service and received a case number. Photos and a video have been sent. GD wanted me to take it to a dealer but I asked if I could take it to an independent that specializes in repair and service and doesn't sell RVs and was given the OK. Have an appointment for Oct 10 to have the damage inspected and a report for GD. GD has handled my previous issues in exemplary fashion, one of those issues pretty significant. I hope that level of customer service still exists.

I have to say, I'm becoming a bit weary of having issues with this trailer. As an electrician and pretty fair mechanic, I can take care of most problems with an RV but this unit is wearing me out. This past trip I let out a sigh of contentment, thinking I'd finally gotten most of the bugs worked out. Well, except for that cricket that hopped into the front storage, finally chased him out after a couple of days.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sorry to see and hear this. Hopefully it all gets handled well by GD.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim - sounds like a situation GDRV will take care of for you especially under the 3 year warranty. They have been pretty good about taking care of those who take care of their units as prescribed in the Owners Manual and it sounds like you have.

I recall that sinking feeling when hearing that "snapping and popping" of the side wall as we found it last fall. GDRV took great care of us this spring not only replacing the side walls but addressing other things we had on our list as well as they taking care of things they encountered.

Keep us posted.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Kim - sounds like a situation GDRV will take care of for you especially under the 3 year warranty. They have been pretty good about taking care of those who take care of their units as prescribed in the Owners Manual and it sounds like you have.

I recall that sinking feeling when hearing that "snapping and popping" of the side wall as we found it last fall. GDRV took great care of us this spring not only replacing the side walls but addressing other things we had on our list as well as they taking care of things they encountered.

Keep us posted.

Dan
    Thanks, Dan. GD customer service has responded today just to let me know the info and pictures I sent have been received and to let them know what the repair service finds. I'm encouraged by their responsiveness.

My hope is that they replace the sidewall as they did in your case. I would not be looking forward to a winter trip from the Northwest but a Spring trip could actually be fun. I'll keep you posted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim,
    Sorry to read your post I hope everything works out to your satisfaction in the end and you don't become too discouraged. It's a lot of time and effort on your part to keep it road worthy. It's not like you have an old unit that wasn't taken care of. Good thing you caught it early before the real rains start in a few weeks.

All the best,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post

Just returned from a 3 week trip when I noticed this while cleaning up and inspection of roof and seals and such. It appears the sidewall of the trailer is delaminating above the curbside dining slide on my 315RLTS. These spots pretty much covered when the slide is shut and hard to see even when the slide is open. These seams have been visible since new but were not raised to any degree. I don't consider being able to see a seam a problem, especially on a warm day. This particular seam has raised about a quarter of an inch. I'm able to push it back in and I can hear what sounds like glue trying to hold it when I release it. My spirits have taken a nose dive.

There is no sign of any damage or water intrusion on the interior. The exterior issue is directly in line with seam tape on the interior of the wall. We have never had any water intrusion to the interior of the unit. I did have a plumbing leak under the kitchen but that simply dripped onto the mylar insulator and coroplast and ran out.

I have been diligent in keeping all the roof seals in good shape. I have used only the prescribed Alpha Systems sealants. BTW, the first question from CS rep asked was which brand of sealant have I been using.

The trailer is less than 3 years old and should be covered by the structural warranty I have contacted Grand Design customer service and received a case number. Photos and a video have been sent. GD wanted me to take it to a dealer but I asked if I could take it to an independent that specializes in repair and service and doesn't sell RVs and was given the OK. Have an appointment for Oct 10 to have the damage inspected and a report for GD. GD has handled my previous issues in exemplary fashion, one of those issues pretty significant. I hope that level of customer service still exists.

I have to say, I'm becoming a bit weary of having issues with this trailer. As an electrician and pretty fair mechanic, I can take care of most problems with an RV but this unit is wearing me out. This past trip I let out a sigh of contentment, thinking I'd finally gotten most of the bugs worked out. Well, except for that cricket that hopped into the front storage, finally chased him out after a couple of days.
    Chief,
    I just had the same issue repaired on my Imagine as in Pic #4 . The issue occurred at two vertical supporting members above the slide and was the result of the luan joints bulging. They cut out the sections in the middle and re-bonded the material back in place, and re-painted. I too am getting tired of working on this rig but I do really like it. I need some future reliability to get out of this love/hate relationship. GDRV has done a great job in taking care of me but once this thing is out of warranty....what next??

Correction: There are no vertical members above the slide but two horizontal aluminum box channels.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	20180925_135554.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	15339

Took this photo today.Looks like there's more going on than I first thought. There looks to be 3 or maybe four spots above the slide. Removed the bulb seals for inspection and 303 treatment. The bulge has pulled the seal track away from the sealant and the track is drooping a little. I can see behind the track and can get a finger back there, can feel the space between luan and the aluminum framing. There is no sign of water intrusion that I can see. The track is sealed along its length except where the major bulge is. I placed some Gorilla tape over the gap to keep water out. Fortunately the trailer hasn't seen rain in over a month.

I just told my wife about the situation. She reminded me of one day last week when we were in La Pine, OR when we both heard a "pop" from the dining slide area. She asked me if it was the slide settling at that time. I said nah, must've been a pine cone or something. I wonder if the glue let go at the most prominent site. I'm all over the trailer pre trip, always check the roof and seals. I've noticed the one spot before but it was just a visible joint, couldn't feel any raised area.

Thanks for the encouragement. We really love "camping" in this very comfortable and spacious trailer. My plan was to own it for 10 years, hope it works out!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pop could of been anything. Unlikely it had anything to do with the delamination.

Looks like the adhesive they used is letting go. They should fix this without issue. Make sure you have a nice list of anything else you'd like them to look at while you are there.

Sucks, but when you have vacuum bonded walls it can and does happen from time to time. Glad you caught it inside of the warranty period.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post

What a bummer of a post, Kim. Please keep all of us posted.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim - Jerry McCarthy shared with me when I sent a video of our 3 areas that they were about 3 months out before they could get us in which would have been December. The beauty of the 1 minute video was being able to hear the snapping and popping and see the size of the area. I shared that it would be preferred to bring our 303 over in the spring and Jerry said what ever works best for us.

Also, I was concerned about how the overall RV would turnout after having both walls (and all three slide walls too it turned out.) After contacting Rob (Cate & Rob) who had walls replaced a couple or so years ago, Rob was simply amazed at how well things turned out. When Rob said this, I was totally at ease. Rob was right.......our 303 turned out better than new in and out !

As Rob and Jerry (and others on the forum as well) suggested, it is a good idea to spend at least one night at the GDRV campground before leaving just in case anything does come up so it can be fixed before you leave. We did have a couple items arise the first afternoon and next AM. Jerry's team was there W/I 10 minutes that first day PM as well as knocking on the door at 6 AM to next morning to follow up.

Carol and I were truly impressed at not only how all things turned out but at the responsiveness and friendliness of Jerry's team as well !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast