Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Slide hanging up upon retraction

I got my unit (369RL) back from the repair dealer and all seem well until yesterday. One of the things done was a slide adjustment as things had shifted which caused the water intrusion into the dining/theater seating slide. When I was packing up yesterday, I noticed that the bedroom slide and kitchen slide came in fine. However, the dining/theater seating slide has trouble retracting. It would come in, stop, come in more, stop, etc until it was fully closed. Anyone else experience this? Should I return the unit to the servicing dealer?

David
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DennisK
    I just took delivery of mine last Thursday and during the PDI, I was specifically told that the slides act that way. The kitchen side may come in, then the dining side, with stops along the way. Just keep the button depressed and it will bo okay. I only have pulled them in twice since owning it and they do act that way so I did not worry about it. My last unit had electric slides which were very different. I sure like the hydraulic better.

BBJonbo
    We take possession of our 303RLS soon. It is in getting the dealer PDI as well all our after market add-ons installed.

Our previous FW was a quad slide Everest which all were hydraulic. We had shutoff values for each slide if desired but never had a need to selectively control a slide. We left the values open all the time. We owned this unit for 8 years prior to selling and ordering our new GD.

The slides always opened and closed in the same order and assume it had to do with the route the hoses took and the slide closer or shorter distance of hose would open first followed by the next closest and so on. Sometimes two slides would partially move at once but just initially and then the closer slide would open completely and then move on to the next. Our longest and deepest slide was last and the other 3 would be fully opened before this one would start. It would open smoothly from start to finish. As well the other 3 for the most part would open smoothly from start to finish except sometimes where I noted that a couple might move slightly together at first. We never had any of the slides start and stop and start and stop and start and stop 3 or more times.

We had 2 lines on our hydraulic reservoir. One for when the slides were fully out and one for when they were fully in. The fully in was built into the reservoir. I believe the dealer made a mark when they were fully out. I would ensure you have the sufficient hydraulic fluid.

I liked hydraulics until a squirrel chewed through one of the lines but guess that could have happened to electric as well. However, the hydraulics sure made a mess. With no hydraulic fluid in the lines even the manual method would not work as it was only for a motor failure. You still need hydraulic fluid in the lines for manual operation. All 4 slides were out and we were able to get 2 back in but the 2 largest were a real bear to get back in and it took two of us with massive pipe wrenches turning the axles of the slide mechanism. A terrible job that I wouldn't wish to repeat again. As long as hydraulics work they are definitely nice but if you lose hydraulic fluid for any reason it may be challenging to operate the slides.

Back to the OP, I would start with ensuring you have sufficient fluid both with the slides in and out. You may simply have to add a but more fluid.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I was specifically told that the slides act that way. The kitchen side may come in, then the dining side, with stops along the way. Just keep the button depressed and it will bo okay.
    Dennis,
    Thanks for the info. Mine had not worked like that prior to being adjusted. However, if they were out of adjustment and that is how they are supposed to operate then I am satisfied. Still waiting to hear from GD customer service.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DennisK
    You are welcome. IF GD replies with a different answer, please let me know so I can be aware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    Dennis,
    Thanks for the info. Mine had not worked like that prior to being adjusted. However, if they were out of adjustment and that is how they are supposed to operate then I am satisfied. Still waiting to hear from GD customer service.
    Mine has done pretty much the same thing from day one. Many many in/out cycles. It's like the hydraulics are common for both slides and when one meets a little resistance and stops or slows down, the other will move. One or the other is always in motion. Does the same thing when putting them out or bringing them in. I assume it's normal since our 3 friends with 369s all do the same thing. Will be interesting to hear what GD has to say.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    I got my unit (369RL) back from the repair dealer and all seem well until yesterday. One of the things done was a slide adjustment as things had shifted which caused the water intrusion into the dining/theater seating slide. When I was packing up yesterday, I noticed that the bedroom slide and kitchen slide came in fine. However, the dining/theater seating slide has trouble retracting. It would come in, stop, come in more, stop, etc until it was fully closed. Anyone else experience this? Should I return the unit to the servicing dealer?

David
    Hi David & Linda (@dloase),

Your description appears to be normal operation, based entirely on resistance... Both the main and dinette slides function through the same control valve, so pressure is equalized with resistance. If you have further questions and/or need immediate assistance, please call our Customer Support team directly at (574) 825-9679.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.