Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Beware the dead bolt

We are Camping at our fav local campground. Gary had to leave this morning before I got up. He locked the door behind him. I wake and go to let the dogs out and I'm STUCK, LOCKED IN. No way out, and 3dogs who haven't gone out to pee yet. can't even relate the anger I had at that point. Can't even climb out a window because I have a cast on that limits my movement and could not open a freaking window

I called the dealer, they talked me through dismantling the lock to get me out, needless to say the trailer is going in next week when we get home to have a lock installed. Id love a whole new assembly, not just a tumbler. Have very little confidence with it at the moment.
    Be very careful with these door locks, all this before I had my first cup of coffee.

Grand design, I'm not the first one that has had issues with these locks I hope you have changed vendors for future customers. This was not my best morning to say the least.

Marcy
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats scary. Thank goodness it was just the dogs that needed out and it wasnt an emergency! The poor dogs will eventually do what they got to do. Locked out is bad enough. Locked in is as bad as it gets.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being locked in really was not a pleasant experience, given many different scenarios it could have been very dangerous. I'm just lucky I had one good hand to work with and I knew where the screw driver was. Well be sure to always have an assortment of tools INSIDE the trailer, not stashed in the basement where they do no good if you get locked in.
    This will stick with me for a while

Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread Search -- Lock Recall
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We are Camping at our fav local campground. Gary had to leave this morning before I got up. He locked the door behind him. I wake and go to let the dogs out and I'm STUCK, LOCKED IN. No way out, and 3dogs who haven't gone out to pee yet. can't even relate the anger I had at that point. Can't even climb out a window because I have a cast on that limits my movement and could not open a freaking window

I called the dealer, they talked me through dismantling the lock to get me out, needless to say the trailer is going in next week when we get home to have a lock installed. Id love a whole new assembly, not just a tumbler. Have very little confidence with it at the moment.
    Be very careful with these door locks, all this before I had my first cup of coffee.

Grand design, I'm not the first one that has had issues with these locks I hope you have changed vendors for future customers. This was not my best morning to say the least.

Marcy
    Hi Marcy & Gary (@WhittleBurner),

We apologize for your experience, and certainly understand the significance of this issue. We will contact our supplier and investigate this concern.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
    Thread Search -- Lock Recall
    Thanks, I'm aware of the recall. All the numbers match but the manufacture does not if I recall correctly. I'm sure that those tumblers are all from the same source. Either way the dealer is getting the trailer next week when we return home to replace the tumblers under warranty. Right now I have the dead bolt removed and stuck in a drawer so we can't lock the door while we sleep. Any one who dares can come in and meet my 2 Aussie who take protecting their people as a serious job
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Timon0x31
    I'd call GD and verify if the recall effects your lock plus let them know it's happening.

The failure of the lock cylinder should NEVER keep you from opening the door from the inside. Think about your house deadbolt. Even if you hold the key in place the lock can still be opened from the inside.

If the lock is designed in such a way that a jammed lock cylinder does keep you from opening the door from the inside that is a liability that goes even past the warrantee period.

If someone was locked in during a fire and was seriously injured or died this could cost the lock manufacture and possibly even GD millions of dollars even if it's out of warrantee because it's a manufacture design defect that effects life and safety.

BTW, I'm not saying that GD has a problem just that the manufacture of the lockset may have one but GD could end up being the one with the deeper pockets.

The real problem is why someone cannot make a better lock set for RVs
    Last edited by Timon0x31; 07-02-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you Marcy. That had to be a very scary experience.
    Does anyone know if the key-less entry locks stop this type of problem. So far we've not had any problems with ours locking us inside the camper.
    From the outside the lock feels "stuck" many times, but after struggling with it for a few minutes, it will pop open.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDRV Customer Service View Post
    Hi Marcy & Gary (@WhittleBurner),

We apologize for your experience, and certainly understand the significance of this issue. We will contact our supplier and investigate this concern.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...-Shakeout-trip February

"FYI:

I just sent an e mail to our entry door supplier and to several Grand Design Managers about the dead bolt problems.

Thanks for the input,

Bill Fenech "
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow