User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of a residential refrigerator made in the last 20 years that failed. I'm sure they do. I've just never experienced that or heard of it happening. RV refrigerators on the other hand...
    I'd LOVE to tell you about our $3K top-of-the-line Maytag fridge that cost a further $1,800 in repairs in its fourth and fifth years (and was going to cost us $900 more so we dumped it). However it wasn't used in a trailer so I guess I can't.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question for those with residential refrigerators

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    For reference, I have 2 100AH lithium batteries. Depending on ambient temps I'll use 40% to 50% (80-100AH) in 8 hours with some other minor draws (lights, etc). We were at a race a few weeks ago with no hookups. Someone in our group had a cpap and with lights, water pump, fans we would have about 50% left every morning before kicking on the generator.

I just have the stock inverter which is only 80% efficient. If you go aftermarket you should be able to get better than that.

Residential's use a lot of battery power but with no boondocking you wouldn't have an issue. I would probably add a second battery just for insurance
    Could you tell me how many cubic feet your fridge is and how many dc amps it draws?
    I’m just curious if a small residential would work in our Reflection.
    We boondock for up to 2 weeks at each location, but we have 400ah of lithium, a lot of solar and our inverter is 96% efficient, so I’m wondering if we’d have any problems powering one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Could you tell me how many cubic feet your fridge is and how many dc amps it draws?
    I’m just curious if a small residential would work in our Reflection.
    We boondock for up to 2 weeks at each location, but we have 400ah of lithium, a lot of solar and our inverter is 96% efficient, so I’m wondering if we’d have any problems powering one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its 18 cu ft. I couldn't say exactly how many amps it draws as I haven't isolated just the refrigerator. A somewhat guess would be over a 24hr period in average temps mine would go through +/-300 AH. It would run more during the day with the heat and people going in and out of it.

For straight boondocknig I don't think I would go residential unless your willing to run a generator a few hours a day if needed to recharge.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    No doubt about it go residential.

You can look up the sound ratings on consumer reports. Even the nosiest isn't likely to be heard in the bedroom though that would be quite the clunker.

I just changed out my Norcold in my unit this week. Easy job. The Norcold was pulling about $46 a month in electric costs down here. The new one is just over $5.

Hardest part is getting the old one out. Few screws and bolts in the back, disconnect the wires and cap the gas. We used a furniture dolly to roll it. took off the doors.
    Brought it to the door and dumped it out on its head. I salvaged a few components off it first to dump on ebay.

Once it was out a i sealed up the back of the slats on the access door. Temporarily covered with foil to retain air as it was hot that day and the wind was blowing from that direction. I used some good foil tape to block those holes and put a bit of insulation in the hole. I still have access on the bottom but it is sealed up. Took off the insulation on the sides since this fridge isn't going to be running a furnace to cool itself. I cut the cabinet to allow the new unit to fit leaving some room for it to breathe. I had more space than I thought in there those cabinets are pretty wide and deep. You should have no issues with virtually any counter depth unit if it is the same as mine.

Attachment 15422

The new one was tough for us because our counter is pretty close to the opening. Raised it on the furniture dolly and leaned it forward enough to get the back on and it pushed back. Had to do a little wood work on the bottom where it gouged a bit but easy to fix.

Attachment 15421

Your truck charges the house batteries when connected so you should be fine with an inverter. I'd throw another 12v on there for insurance on an over night stop but I think you'd probably be fine with one and connected to a running truck and not boondocking.

I just came across your post because i was researching how to install a residential in a 337rls. How has your residential held up? i'm seriously thinking about doing this mod.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I just came across your post because i was researching how to install a residential in a 337rls. How has your residential held up? i'm seriously thinking about doing this mod.
    Subscribing to this thread because I'm interested, too.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Subscribing to this thread because I'm interested, too.

-Steve
    If my dealer can get to it I'm having the Samsung residential fridge installed in my 375 next week. I too am tired of the cooling ups and downs with the Norcold….they should call it Nev-r-cold lol. My dealer has done several conversions and is in fact doing one this week on a new Solitude 375 as part of the sale. That one has an Onan gennie like mine so they will know how to do the transfer switch and inverter and all of it. I'm excited!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have an island in front of the refrigerator?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are they able to run a water line to it for the ice?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a residential in our class C for 2 1/2 years and in the Solitude for the 6 months we have had it and we wouldn't do it any other way.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is a 1-1/2 years old. It's probably better to start a new thread with updated information.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast