User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    maburns00

On the road for 6 weeks with Solitude 320X

Left Fleming Island, Florida yesterday for six weeks on the road with our 320X Solitude.
    Drove to Dorchester S.C. for two nights (Charleston,S.C.) our tow rig is a 2015 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins diesel.
    Everything worked great except for a mishap with the bike rack. I purchased a Swagman 2 bike rack and apparently I edged over on the milled in rumble strip and that is where the "American Vacation" began.
    I theorize the vibration caused the ratchet holder to disengage which caused the outside bike to come off the rack. We noticed this by other vehicles gesturing wildly at us as they passed. I asked my wife if we cut someone off. Apparently not because the middle finger was not evidenced.
    Needless to say, the bike was a total loss as the weight was reduced considerably by being in contact with I-95 for a quarter of a mile. On to Walmart for a new bike as I will need it when we reach the U.P. of Michigan. Will post at our next destination Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer about the bike. We actually had someone follow us home at the end of a trip to complain about our bikes bouncy crazy on the rack. I checked and there was no danger of coming off, he was just afraid for his life, his actual words. Welcome to Michigan, hope you enjoy the U.P., we always do.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maburns00
    Made it to Mount Airy after experiencing the not so smooth roads in South Carolina. Big difference when we hit North Carolina. The rig did quite well today. No displaced bikes and didn't break anything. Here for one day then on to Lancaster, Ohio. Trying to do this trip in about 400 mile increments. We seem to learn something new everyday. For what it's worth don't use those adhesive strips on the walls to hang stuff. We had one come loose and it puckered the wall covering. Was able to smooth it back out. There is a tremendous difference in gas mileage from the flat lands to the mountains. Duuuuh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maburns00 View Post
    Made it to Mount Airy after experiencing the not so smooth roads in South Carolina. Big difference when we hit North Carolina. The rig did quite well today. No displaced bikes and didn't break anything. Here for one day then on to Lancaster, Ohio. Trying to do this trip in about 400 mile increments. We seem to learn something new everyday. For what it's worth don't use those adhesive strips on the walls to hang stuff. We had one come loose and it puckered the wall covering. Was able to smooth it back out. There is a tremendous difference in gas mileage from the flat lands to the mountains. Duuuuh.

So sorry about your bike rack misadventure but I have to say your account of it was hilarious!!
    I am so sorry you didn't see my previous thread about the Command Strips! I had the same thing happen but I wasn't so lucky. Mine actually tore the wallpaper. We went around and carefully took all of them down.
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maburns00 View Post
    Ouch on the bike rack!

We also had the command strips pull the paper, this is with the single strips sticky on both sides. Just on the little wall next to the stove. I also used the 3M velcro strips at the same time and so far (1 1/2 yrs in) those have not had the same pulling the paper away as the other. most pieces hung I used multiple strips of velcro. But could see if it were a picture that was heavy or removed for travel every move the potential may be there. We have been on a few rough roads but the majority was on good roads. I'm guessing we have about 5,000 miles on it .so far

If you aren't committed for time, while in Lancaster take a day trip to Hocking Hills, beautiful area. What area of Da UP are you headed to? thats our last stop on our way home from Glacier in July
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

maburns00
    Left Mt. Airy, NC this morning at 0800 drove to Lancaster, Ohio for leg #3 of our trip. The mountains are quite interesting pulling 7 tons of trailer. We didn't break anything and I'm really getting proficient at this hooking and unhooking the trailer. The cable TV at these sites are not very good. The antenna on the rig provides an exceptional picture. A lot of strange people come out at night at these campgrounds. Don't misunderstand me, the only way some of these places would see 5 stars is if someone whacked them with a 2x4.

maburns00
    Mackinaw Island then on to Canada. Then to Gettysburg for the 4th of July. Down through the Shenandoah Valley and finally back to Florida.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your having cooler weather on your trip North. It's still HOT back here in FL!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maburns00
    Left Lancaster Ohio this morning at 0815. Travelled to Dundee, Michigan approx., 4.5 hours just south off Ann Arbor, MI.
    I-75 from Ohio through our route in MI was terrible with construction pretty much the whole way. We had rain for about two hours. Ended up in a little place called "Wilderness Campground". Very nice people.
    Used a dump station this morning for the first time with this rig. Not a big deal just felt dirty all day.
    On to the Henry Ford museum in the morning. No issues to report with the camper other than the pleated window shades. They tend to pucker up instead of fold neatly. You have to re-crease them by hand in order for them to roll up.

maburns00
    Arrived at Traverse City, MI. Extremely nice campground "Holiday Campground" this place must be Airstream central as there are approx., 30 of them here. Experienced our first issue yesterday. My wife summoned me to check out some water on the floor proximal to the center island. It was very close to the dog's bowl, so I assumed someone had kicked the bowl which I immediately confessed to. After three repeat occurrences with water on the floor I admitted to having poor eyesight. The fourth time it was time for a serious investigation. The problem was the tailpipe on the kitchen drain had come completely detached. This wasn't easily determined due to the blank panel covering the plumbing. I removed the panel and there it was. Re-attached the fitting and no more issues. Still having issues with the pleated shades rolling up correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast