User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Not sure of our exact model for refrig, but we are sea-level to 9000' frequently. Sub-zero to triple digit temps. The only time my evaporator style refrigerator quit working was when the temps dropped to sub-zero. Got cold enough around the evaporator tubes to halt the process, a single 100watt bulb in the compartment fixed the problem.

Thanks, that's great information. I believe their Norcold is a 2118 propane/AC model. Luckily they won't encounter any sub-zero temp. on their trip.

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really interesting. I came here to ask about this similar topic.
    We just spent the weekend up in the mountains here, 9,400ft elevation. The fridge we have is the Norcold, not sure the exact model but this is the one, from the pics on GD's website:

We do not have a generator on our rig however thought propane would be fine to run this thing for a whopping 3 days.

WRONG, but we aren't sure why! After about 6 hours of being at camp (no hookups), the fridge gave a "NO FL" error. We would restart, it might be fine for 10 minutes or so but then it would give out again. Basically we were unable to use the fridge. It was in the 40's mostly outside, but got into the 50's temp wise. We kept the house battery charged by hooking it up to our truck and idling for a while.

If anyone has an idea what that could be caused by, definitely would love to know.... Hope this helps someone else too.
    Our Setup
    2018.5 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsl View Post
    We just spent the weekend up in the mountains here, 9,400ft elevation. The fridge we have is the Norcold, not sure the exact model but this is the one, from the pics on GD's website:

We do not have a generator on our rig however thought propane would be fine to run this thing for a whopping 3 days.

WRONG, but we aren't sure why! After about 6 hours of being at camp (no hookups), the fridge gave a "NO FL" error. We would restart, it might be fine for 10 minutes or so but then it would give out again. Basically we were unable to use the fridge. It was in the 40's mostly outside, but got into the 50's temp wise. We kept the house battery charged by hooking it up to our truck and idling for a while.

If anyone has an idea what that could be caused by, definitely would love to know.... Hope this helps someone else too.
    That looks like the 2118. You have a propane flow problem. I'd start with the regulators and pig tails first.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, my 2118 works fine at altitude including boondocking near Mammoth.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsl View Post

Yes, that is a Norcold 2118. As Jim mentioned, it could be a propane flow problem. Are both of your tanks turned on fully (open valves all the way then turn back 1/8 of a turn to keep from jamming)? Check the flex propane lines under the slide and behind the outside lower refrigerator vent cover for any damage or kinks. Did you stove, furnace and water heater all work OK? The stove, oven and refrigerator all run off the same flex line coming into the kitchen slide.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much to all of you for your experiences with the Norcold 2118 at high altitudes!

Reports from June Lake, Ca., near Mammoth Lakes... the Norcold is working GREAT!

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad it is working for your daughter and son-in-law.

Happy camping

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Norcold 2118 that also won't cool properly much above 5000’ and we're currently at 7500’ and when switched from shore power to propane. Was up to 45° in about three hours and had to switch back to ac. We have a generator as well but avoid dry camping as much as possible. Our dealer service manager said the issue with fridge propane is power not consistent; some units do fine and some struggle at elevation. We've had several fans fail and the main board replaced a few weeks ago. We have lost much confidence in our Norcold and are having an inverted installed so we have a backup plan in case it fails again. We might switch to a residential fridge if we don't regain confidence soon!
    Jim & Deb
    Littleton, CO
    2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Long Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2019 Solitude 380FL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much help, but Norcold (in their manual) recommends running the 2118 on electric above 5,500' elevation due to potential problems with the propane burner above that altitude. Above 5,500' it seems to be hit and miss for people. Some work fine others do not.

In general, we have had very poor performance with our Norcold 2118 when outside temps are above mid-70's, but I have not seen an issue related to altitude on our unit.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree does seem to be hit or miss for many and I’m hearing more and more folks are considering going to a residential fridge with an inverter to charge while traveling and generator needed for dry camping (or other source such as solar). Our experience in general matches yours above 70° temps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12