Thread: solar plugn

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solar plugn

hello fellow grand designers

i have a 2018 grand design imagine 27'. went up to michigan (up) few weeks back starting from tennessee, had a fantastic time. you michigan folks have a beautiful state.

so
    i saw my trailer has a plug n for solar on the left front. can't find any info on it. can anyone give me some info?

thanks
    ott
    gon4it

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. See my post under Mods and DIY. Besides showing an alternate use for the solar port, there is an explanation of it's intended use.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can help you. That is a Furrion (brand name) plug that was designed for the Furrion solar panel. The Furrion panel is 95 watts, and does an effective job of charging one or two batteries if you have a full day of sunshine. The big problem is that the Furrion solar panels are VERY expensive. They run about $425 plus.

You can purchase other 100 watt panels that will work great, but the issue is that the plug that is installed on the side of your trailer is specific to Furrion panels, so you can't plug another brand directly into the port. But, there are very easy solutions to that. You can purchase any brand of 100 watt portable panels and an adapter to allow for plugging into the Furrion port. Just make sure when you purchase a panel that it has a built in controller. Also do not exceed 100 watts or you may exceed the capacity of the built in fuse and wiring in the trailer. If you need recommendations for specific brands or parts, let us know and I'm sure other members will chime in.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb solar plugn

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I can help you. That is a Furrion (brand name) plug that was designed for the Furrion solar panel. The Furrion panel is 95 watts, and does an effective job of charging one or two batteries if you have a full day of sunshine. The big problem is that the Furrion solar panels are VERY expensive. They run about $425 plus.

You can purchase other 100 watt panels that will work great, but the issue is that the plug that is installed on the side of your trailer is specific to Furrion panels, so you can't plug another brand directly into the port. But, there are very easy solutions to that. You can purchase any brand of 100 watt portable panels and an adapter to allow for plugging into the Furrion port. Just make sure when you purchase a panel that it has a built in controller. Also do not exceed 100 watts or you may exceed the capacity of the built in fuse and wiring in the trailer. If you need recommendations for specific brands or parts, let us know and I'm sure other members will chime in.

Jim
    ok jim
    thanks for getting back so fast. ill keep that in mind.
    i think i will start off with a couple of good deep cell batteries and use a generator in the daytime to recharge them. already have the gen. also need to install a couple of 12v receptacles.

thanks a lot
    maybe we will cross paths someday

happy camping
    otto
    Otto @ Susan
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
    2018 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted the Furrion Solar Port to a 12V power port for our Green MT Grill.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This port is perfect to use as a plug to have an charging wire from your tow truck battery.Hook up and charge house battery while driving.
    I use this to keep up with battery as its running refrig while traveling.

Thanks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea
    Thanks

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darcyracing View Post
    This port is perfect to use as a plug to have an charging wire from your tow truck battery.Hook up and charge house battery while driving.

Thanks
    GoN4it - Sorry for going off topic for a moment...

Darcyracing - don't you have +12VDC power at pin 4 of your truck's seven way connector? That should provide voltage to keep your battery charged while driving.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoN4it View Post
    ok jim
    thanks for getting back so fast. ill keep that in mind.
    i think i will start off with a couple of good deep cell batteries and use a generator in the daytime to recharge them. already have the gen. also need to install a couple of 12v receptacles.

thanks a lot
    maybe we will cross paths someday

happy camping
    otto
    If your going to stay with lead acid look into AGM type batteries which will handle a much deeper discharge than a typical flooded deep cycle battery. There are dual 6v versions (trojan) that pack a punch but they will be heavy. Then there is lithium that some folks are getting into that have the highest energy density where they are the most expensive option. I got a deal on the furrion 95W solar suitcase panel and it works very well and will put out 10amps of charge in bright sun. The controller manual is very obscure but its really just plug and play anyway. There are cheaper units out there that pack the same power.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darcyracing View Post

Thanks
    You will get RV charging through the 7 way connector and should not need to connect to the solar port. Todays trucks have RVC (regulated voltage control) and will take forever to charge the RV battery if your leaving for a trip with a discharged battery. At idle, these newer systems typically put out enough charge to maintain electrical load for fuel economy and will not provide a significant charge.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast