User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Switch Over Valve Operation

Have owned a Reflection 337 RLS fifth wheel for about 3 months now. I have watched some videos about how this operates but have some specific questions.

The valve I have is not the "sight glass" type. It has two separate indicators on the valve indicating propane level in each tan.

When I took position of the rig, the lever on the valve was in the middle position. Everything I have watched or read tells me it should be pointing right or left. Can someone please explain to me why it might have been in the middle position and exactly how I should be using this device?

And specifically how it works.

Thanks very much in advance. Still learning--first RV.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pointing to the tank you want to use. if it pulls from both tanks you may inadvertently empty both at the same time leaving you high and dry.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very simple... point the handle to the tank you want to use first. When that one is empty, the regulator will change over automatically and the indicator in the center will turn red. Turn the lever to the full tank, get the empty tank refilled, put it back on its rack and you're on your way. There is no reason to do otherwise (and I'm not sure it would work in the center position, anyway).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Very simple... point the handle to the tank you want to use first. When that one is empty, the regulator will change over automatically and the indicator in the center will turn red. Turn the lever to the full tank, get the empty tank refilled, put it back on its rack and you're on your way. There is no reason to do otherwise (and I'm not sure it would work in the center position, anyway). Rob
    Like Rob said. ^^^^

@Mike Cleary in answer to your question about why yours was set in the middle, the answer might be that your dealer's delivery technician was as well-trained as the one who delivered our Reflection to us. He carefully explained that we could move the lever left or right to use that respective tank, or we could put it in the middle to use both tanks evenly which is what he recommended.

After some cold weather we ended up "out" of propane (furnace dead) with one tank still about 2/3 full. I looked online and found a very clever-sounding automatic device that would draw from one side and then automatically switch to the other side when the first one ran out - what a great idea. Then I looked at my original factory regulator to ensure I could install the new one and... mine was exactly like the new one!

One of a few dead-wrong things we were told that day, but we didn't know any better. We're learning!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From Page 141 of the 2018 Reflection FW owner's manual:

"If your RV is equipped with the automatic two-stage regulator,with both cylinders full of propane, turn the lever on the regulator towards the cylinder you wish to use first. This will now be the supply cylinder and the other the reserve.

Slowly open both cylinder valves. The indicator on top of the regulator will change to green. When the supply cylinder is empty, the indicator will change to red. Now turn the regulator lever to the reserve cylinder side and the green signal should return. You may now remove the empty cylinder to have it refilled without interrupting the flow from the full bottle. After filling the cylinder, connect the pigtail hose and slowly open the bottle valve."

If you don't have access to the owner's manual, you can find it here:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim....good info!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    Have owned a Reflection 337 RLS fifth wheel for about 3 months now. I have watched some videos about how this operates but have some specific questions.

The valve I have is not the "sight glass" type. It has two separate indicators on the valve indicating propane level in each tan.

When I took position of the rig, the lever on the valve was in the middle position. Everything I have watched or read tells me it should be pointing right or left. Can someone please explain to me why it might have been in the middle position and exactly how I should be using this device?

And specifically how it works.

Thanks very much in advance. Still learning--first RV.
    I put a copy of an outstanding post explaining the operation in the Reference Library--please give it a read! https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tion-Explained
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I put a copy of an outstanding post explaining the operation in the Reference Library--please give it a read! https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tion-Explained
    Good read, but there is one thing I have not seen anyone mention.

If you put the regulator selection switch in the MIDDLE position, it draws from both tanks at the same time, thus the warning to pick one of the other lest you run totally out of fuel at an inopportune time.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow