Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ant prevention

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ant prevention

Hi Newbies here. We are going to a state beach park next week in our new Solitude that has some reported ant problems in some sites. How do I keep ants from getting in the trailer? Any and all tips appreciated.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't put food in the trailer....
    On a serious note,I've had success in the past with sprinkling borax around anywhere the trailer touches the ground, dont forget the hoses and power cord. Also watch for tree branches touching your roof, that got me when I first started camping, it was like a gangway for the ants...ugh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Don't put food in the trailer....
    On a serious note,I've had success in the past with sprinkling borax around anywhere the trailer touches the ground, dont forget the hoses and power cord. Also watch for tree branches touching your roof, that got me when I first started camping, it was like a gangway for the ants...ugh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Just be aware, some campgrounds don't allow this.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My eyes are really getting bad -- I thought this was about Aunt prevention. I liked my Aunts.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    My eyes are really getting bad -- I thought this was about Aunt prevention. I liked my Aunts.
    Dick, now that is funny ! There was one of my Aunts (one with the mustache) whom I was not too sure I liked.

Cchapin100 - I did a search on Ants and here is that link with 23 threads with the word "Ants" noted. I suspect there are several of which will help. I recall several posts with many differing options to use some, of course, may or may not be appropriate depending on your specific situation.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...archid=1283430

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 4 years of full timing we only Had a real problem when on the gulf coast. Seriously, not leaving food and crumbs around does make a difference. I also sprinkled some Seven dust on areas of possible entry and around my Level Up jacks. We were there 6 weeks, and after taking action the first week never had another issue.

We have occasionally had sugar ants which are always solved by eliminating food. Not sure where or how they they get in, but sure I’m responsible![emoji33]

Alan
    2015 380TH
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use dish soap. Just pour some around anything that contacts the ground.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our first trip out, we stayed at a COE campground full of sugar ants. Put out the little Raid white plastic bait pods, and it seemed to help.

However, I'd put something near or in your tow vehicle too. The RV issue righted itself pretty quickly once we moved it back to storage. The sugar ants got in my husband's Tahoe and took forever to finally go away.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cchapin100 View Post
    Hi Newbies here. We are going to a state beach park next week in our new Solitude that has some reported ant problems in some sites. How do I keep ants from getting in the trailer? Any and all tips appreciated.
    I haven't tried this myself, but have read about it numerous times: diatomaceaus earth.

Here's a good article about it https://richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the Borax deal in CA several times and it didn't even seem to slow them down. I eventually resorted to keeping a spray bottle of ant poison in my trailer storage compartment and spraying everywhere they could crawl up into the trailer (leveling jacks, water hose, sewer hose, electric cord, etc.) Problem is that allegedly in hyper-regulated states like California the govt won't let RV park owners in many areas spray for ants (at least this is what the folks who run the parks have told me), so the ants run roughshod over the parks, terrorizing all who enter for "fun and relaxation". I put the ant poison in an unmarked spray bottle to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Worst problem I ever had was in Vista. Entire trailer full of ants after we returned from a day trip. Escondido is bad and just about anywhere around San Diego that I've camped over the years. They just give you a flyer that basically says there are ants everywhere and good luck dealing with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast