User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the olden days before GPS navigation and smart phones, I printed out Map Quest directions from San Diego to Yosemite. We had just bought our first trailer (a 21' bumper pull) and this was our first significant trip. At some point. we found ourselves on a very windy two lane road. Then it was a single lane road and I started getting nervous. Eventually, it became a dirt road and finally it came to a dead end. I had to make a 78 point turn to get us out of that mess and my two little kids learned a bunch of new words that day. Within just a few miles, I made a wrong turn and the pavement ended again. Luckily, there was a little more room to maneuver and it only required a 52 point turn to get us headed in the right direction. We eventually made it to our campsite and it provides a great story about the start of our RV adventures. Now I do extensive satellite investigation including copious amounts of street views if available, print directions, use vehicle and phone navigation, and have paper maps handy.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traveled from So Cal to Wisconsin and back with my Garmin IQue, it was a Palm Pilot based GPS platform that had a trucker mode. Not a single problem. Then I got a new truck with GPS built in and were staying at oasis in Vegas and headed out to Yosemite. The Garmin said go far north in Nevada then cut over, the truck said go through Death Valley. This was with my 40' Skyline Trailrider weighing in at 17k #'s. So I see a sign at the entrance to Death Valley that said No Trucks!, just beyond that sign was the Ranger station so I went in and talked with a Ranger and told him what i'm hauling and pointed out the window at the rig. He said you're good, we just don't allow trucks because of their weight and the damage to the roads. First downhill grade was 7-9%, second was about the same and third had 10% grades in a few places. I've never over heated an engine (Duramax) and Allison tranny by going down a grade. The truck and tranny did well but it was really tight. The truck was an 07.5 so no exhaust brakes were out for it yet. I can say for the first time in my life that if I had to stop I wouldn't have been able to, if there was some sight seeing carload of people putting along I would've gone through them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have and use paper maps. And unlike so many younger folks most of us here know how to read paper maps. I also will do a "drive though" on google maps if going to a really new place I am unsure of.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234