User Tag List

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Batteries over the winter, some observations for new owners -

I realize that this topic is about as contentious as the "what kind of tow vehicle" can be...but thought I should pass along my experiences with long term storage of batteries -

I used to be one of those that pulled all my lead-acids out and carefully stored them in a cool area, with a trickle charger. Initially with a fishing boat, then added the RV batteries later.

After I upgraded the boat to 2 Grp 31 AGM's (and a Grp 27 conventional), and got older, there was no way I was going to be removing/installing those beasts every year. So for the last 10 years have been just fully charging them, disconnecting the cables, and putting the boat into unheated storage for the winter (Oct-April).
    Batteries do self discharge when not in use. The rate is very temperature dependant. So here in Minn., with our moderately (!) cold winters, I have yet to see a spring where the batteries are below 90% when they come out of storage.
    The Imagine with a Grp 27 went into storage last Oct. Unfortunately, DW health issues prevented any camping this year. A couple of weeks ago, thought about it, and made the trip to storage to pull the battery, fearing that after a year, including a pretty hot summer, I had killed it. Nope - still tested at 80%. So recharged it, and it sits in my unheated garage until next spring.

I would advise that if you are wondering - google your battery specs. One such chart attached. There are several manufacturer sites that give lots of information about self-discharging rates. You may be surprised at how long it takes for them to deplete after factoring in your average weather conditions. And fully charged batteries will not freeze (or none of us in the north could ever drive in the winter!). Then evaluate how much, or how little, care and feeding you may feel compelled to do. Many advocate the store 'em on trickle approach, going to sometimes extra lengths to ensure they can. You may too. But then again, you may find that for your situation the extra work/expense is not really of that much advantage....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storage-web-corrected.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	15601
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information. Thank you

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be sure to disconnect the negative cable. I made the mistake of leaving 2 6V batteries connected for an Alberta winter, thinking my solar panels would keep them charged. But solar doesn’t work so well covered with snow They both slowly discharged and froze solid by Christmas. I tried to bring them back to life but both had to be replaced.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to disconnect the negative or is the battery shutoff switch sufficient?
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    Just be sure to disconnect the negative cable. I made the mistake of leaving 2 6V batteries connected for an Alberta winter, thinking my solar panels would keep them charged. But solar doesn’t work so well covered with snow They both slowly discharged and froze solid by Christmas. I tried to bring them back to life but both had to be replaced.

Bob
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disconnect the battery. There are parasitic draws, fire detector, propane detector, clock and who knows what else. So do disconnect or you will end up with a dead battery.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm giving this a bump up, as the questions about batteries are starting to pop up again.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)