User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning coming off:Reflection 337 RLS

Please look at awning coming off posts on Forum on Reflections along with this posting. My awning fabric started creeping off the awning rail on one side and then on my return to the camper on 7/3, I found the awning rail pulled away from the wall of the camper by nearly a foot on the other side (above the door). Awning was retracted, stays retracted when I am not present at the camper, is retracted if windy or rainy conditions, retracted every night and only been on the highways twice since I purchased it the end of April 14'. When unable to reach GD on 7/3, have sent JD an email and pictures on 7/5 and hope to talk with him or another GD rep Monday morning. I also Talked to Lippert C. On 7/3 and asked them about the awning rail/installation process. I have a reference number to that conversation, as well. They indicated they do not give awning attachment instructions to RV Manufacturers as campers are all different.

I see visible appearance of the awning rail pulling away more and more. Rain is due in next couple days and 2 screws are completely out of camper that hold the awning rail in and a third screw is now, just about out. Worried about rain water coming into the camper.

I don't feel it can even be transported to the dealership (3 hrs away) without the awning/rail being secured to the camper. Am looking for a positive revolution to this matter as well as GD looking into the installation process as something is not right when others are also experiencing the same problem.
    Thank you.

Bbirds14
    Reflection 337 RLS #494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	697
    Bbirds14
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Zeus and Barnaby, Golden Retrievers
    F250 Lariat, SWB, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4 (Kodi)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #494

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have just noticed our awning pulling away also on our 303, the leading edge. This seems to be a serious issue with the Reflections. We are supposed to leave on an extended trip at the end of the month. Hope to see a permanent fix before then.

The trailer is headed to the dealer tomorrow afternoon, soon as we get home and unpack. At first it was too fix the faulty door locks, now the awning is added to the list.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at my awning today after a 1 week trip and it is also pulling away at the back portion above the door. One of the screws is half pulled out and the silicone is split. I too do not leave the awning out in windy conditions and have only used it a few times. My dealer is 160 mi away. GD please get back to us. I will fix it myself if I get some instructions on how to do it.
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted my dealer (Greenway Rv in Wisconsin Rapids they have be great to deal with) today and sent pics of awning pulling away. He got right back to me and said he was contacting GD. Good response from the dealer. Now lets see how soon GD gets back to the dealer with a solution.
    Paul & Debbie

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbirds14 View Post
    Please look at awning coming off posts on Forum on Reflections along with this posting. My awning fabric started creeping off the awning rail on one side and then on my return to the camper on 7/3, I found the awning rail pulled away from the wall of the camper by nearly a foot on the other side (above the door). Awning was retracted, stays retracted when I am not present at the camper, is retracted if windy or rainy conditions, retracted every night and only been on the highways twice since I purchased it the end of April 14'. When unable to reach GD on 7/3, have sent JD an email and pictures on 7/5 and hope to talk with him or another GD rep Monday morning. I also Talked to Lippert C. On 7/3 and asked them about the awning rail/installation process. I have a reference number to that conversation, as well. They indicated they do not give awning attachment instructions to RV Manufacturers as campers are all different.

I see visible appearance of the awning rail pulling away more and more. Rain is due in next couple days and 2 screws are completely out of camper that hold the awning rail in and a third screw is now, just about out. Worried about rain water coming into the camper.

I don't feel it can even be transported to the dealership (3 hrs away) without the awning/rail being secured to the camper. Am looking for a positive revolution to this matter as well as GD looking into the installation process as something is not right when others are also experiencing the same problem.
    Thank you.

Bbirds14
    Reflection 337 RLS #494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	697
    Hi @bbirds14,

Grand Design started installing a screw in the fabric piping channel on both ends 1" from the edge of the fabric. This prevents the lower portion of the awning rail extrusion from bending outward under load. Adding these screws, and re-securing those that have pulled loose, should address the concerns. If you have further questions, please contact your dealer or our Customer Support team for assistance.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janice,

The fabric is not the issue here, it is the channel that is attached to the wall of the camper. I have had the same issue twice and headed back to the dealer tomorrow for the third time along with many other issues including a dead refrigerator. If you read my post under the above mentioned thread the awning rail is attached to the wall with screws from the factory and according to the limited information available from the Lippert website they recommend using expanding rivets in laminated walls unless there is a backer plate installed along the entire length of the mounting surface. When I took mine back to the dealer the replaced some of the screws (which are about 1/2 - 5/8" long) with expanding rivets. While the camper was sitting on the dealers lot waiting for me to pick it up the rivets had pulled loose and then they added more. The mounting strip is a poor design to begin with and the installation technique is very poor also. The strip does not extend far enough past the end of the awning so when tension is applied there is so much force on the one or two outside screws it just starts to peel the strip away. I can stand on a ladder and with my hands grab the strip at the bottom and flex it up due to the fact that it has butyl caulk tape underneath it which does not allow it to mount directly to the wall of the camper creating a lever.

Jim
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos of my Awning

Here are a couple of photos of both ends of my awning.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01519.jpg   DSC01516.jpg  
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campinfool View Post
    Janice,

The fabric is not the issue here, it is the channel that is attached to the wall of the camper.
    I believe from Janice's description that they're adding a screw in the fabric piping channel at each end of the strip 1" outside of the awning fabric...not the screw they put at each end to hold the fabric in the channel itself.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,

That change is not working!!! I have looked at many of other brands in the last three weeks to see how they attached the awning rails and I will stand by my comments that GD has a design and assembly flaw. I now have way more holes in the side of my camper and it is still not holding. I have had the awning out once since leaving the dealer, so I have an expensive feature on the trailer that I am afraid to use because if it comes completely off of the trailer how will I haul it home. I am not trying to be negative here just stating the facts. If you look at the photos my decals are also damaged from extrusion coming off.

Jim
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got another response from my dealer today. He received instructions from GD on how to repair the track. My awning track is held on with screws and rivets. Screw, rivet, screw, rivet, the whole length of the track. Currently I only have 1 screw that is pulling out one end of the track. The rivets are holding. My awning is not as bad as some of the ones shown on this forum.
    GD repair is to remove 4 screws from each end of the awning track drill a 3/16" hole where the screws were and install a 3/16" x 1" Molly rivets. They also want some buytal tape under the rail then reseal the rail with silicone caulk. I plan on doing the repair myself. I was told by my dealer to keep receipts for the materials I use and send them to my dealer and I will be reimbursed by GD. I have an email to my dealer late today with a few ?? Before I do the repair in the next day or two time permitting. I will let you all know how it goes. I plan on taking pics of the repairs for the record.
    Paul & Debbie

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast