User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EStahley View Post
    Good afternoon! Did you by chance reach out to our team to see if they would be able to help you with the rivets? Also, we have reached out to our production team to find out of they have changed to rivets or if they are still utilizing screws, and when this may have happened.

Thanks!
    Did you ever receive an answer from the production team as to whether they have changed to rivets? We are awaiting delivery, and I want to know if this is something to check when I pick it up.
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The screws came out of mine in 2016, I was told then they quit using the screws and went to rivets because they had so much trouble, that apparently never happened if the ones coming off the line still have screws. The problem is the thin strip of sheet metal the screws go into isn't heavy enough for the small screws and stress from the awning. Quicker to use screws and let the owners fix them with rivets I guess.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    They screws came out of mine in 2016, I was told then they quit using the screws and went to rivets because they had so much trouble, that apparently never happened if the ones coming off the line still have screws. The problem is the thin strip of sheet metal the screws go into isn't heavy enough for the small screws and stress from the awning. Quicker to use screws and let the owners fix them with rivets I guess.
    That a shame if it still the case.......
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithb View Post
    Based on what I read here, I checked all 32 screws on the two awnings on my Reflection. Eight were already stripped out. I called customer service, no problem they said and they are sending me more then enough rivets to do the job. They offered to have me bring it to the dealer, I prefer to do what I can myself. I’m not impressed with the assembly technique but I am impressed with the customer service. The rivets should arrive next week. This forum is terrific, thanks to all for posting your experiences.
    Keith
    To follow up, Jason in GD Customer Service had the rivets to me in three days. Wow! Today I did the replacement. Since I had new hardware, I gave each screw a good twist to see if it would snug up. Sadly, only 5 of the 32 screws would snug up using a short handle 3/8 drive ratchet. I removed the screws, cleaned off the hole, filled it with sealant, then installed the rivet. Once complete I put a dab of sealant on the little hole on the rivet head.
    Now here’s something that’s not good, 16 of the 32 screws had rust on them, meaning water was coming in past the screw head. That’s 32 points of entry into the side walls. I replaced all the screws, even the 5 that snugged up ok.
    My 5ver is only a year old, built last August. It took me about two hours to complete the job. I posted this info over on feedback to the factory along with pictures of the rusted screws.
    The screws are a flawed method to attach the awnings. Kudos to GD for standing behind their product and providing the parts to make it right. I am really curious how they are being attached today.
    Keith
    Keithb
    Upstate New York
    2018 Reflection 303RLS built 08/2017
    2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/6.0 L gas
    Reese 16K Slider, SteadyFast System

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here it is 2019 and this issue is still a problem. I contacted GD but was told no longer under warranty.
    I have no idea if it falls in to 1 year or 3 year warranty and Extended Warranty company only fixes ''mechanical'' issues. Somehow without even looking this is NOT mechanical.
    So to those who have attempted to do this yourself did you have to remove awning to get to screws ? TIA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fatlube...there is a plastic cover at the top which covers the screws....it comes out very easily. Dont just put bigger screws in as they will pull away too; you'll want to use molly rivets. You might try another gd service rep and see if they will send you the rivets. They did for me.

Ours is a 2019 and the awning started pulling away after the first trip. GD sent me rivets and it was a 15 minute repair job...pretty easy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you ^^

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design provided the rivets for me (2016). For our 2015 Reflection.
    I only replaced four at each end, plus added an additional near the edge
    on each end and that was sufficient.
    Milt

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So bit the bullet and paid to have it repaired. not only were screws coming out but found at least 3 holes where there were no screws even installed. who uses self tapping screws on fiberglass ? C'mon GD, you are better than this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awning repair.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	23353

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a 2020 29RS and low and behold, all the slide topper awning strips are coming loose.

So, they are still not doing the right thing. This seems to be an issue from day one and still, 5+ years later, they still don't seem to care about resolving the problem.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910